First official build of RetroArch for the Nintendo Switch out now

D6D0FEBC-2D43-4E51-B578-AF0FB2C831D2.jpeg

The evolution of the Nintendo Switch hacking scene takes a major step forward with the impending release of RetroArch, a wildly popular emulator frontend. Known for being on nearly every possible platform under the sun, RetroArch’s development team has brought about the first official build of a version for the Nintendo Switch. If you install it onto your Switch, you can expect features like savestates, OpenGL support, and even netplay. The usual suspects of games from the NES, SNES, and GBA run well, and there’s even PS1 titles booting, to various results. RetroArch has already been running on the Switch in the past, (through Lakka) but this will be the first officially supported version by the Libretro team, and means that active development will include a Nintendo Switch version with each major update. A full version is scheduled to drop soon, with a nightly build at the link below.

:download: Source

radicalwookie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Chary This isn't released yet.
We are working hard on it soon(TM)
Probably you are getting quoted a lot but I really would like to know this.
Does this in any way rely on Linux whatsoever? The reason why Im asking this is becasue Im very worried about that battery problem that was present in the early Switch scene. Is that still a possibility here with RA?

m4xw

Ancient Deity
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Probably you are getting quoted a lot but I really would like to know this.
Does this in any way rely on Linux whatsoever? The reason why Im asking this is becasue Im very worried about that battery problem that was present in the early Switch scene. Is that still a possibility here with RA?
The battery problem has been long resolved and there is a software fix for those who were affected.
If you happen to run into a ancient linux build its not a problem anymore, just run hekate and fix it.
And no - This runs on horizon, no linux involved.

Reactions: DarthDub and Chary

radicalwookie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The battery problem has been long resolved and there is a software fix for those who were affected.
If you happen to run into a ancient linux build its not a problem anymore, just run hekate and fix it.
And no - This runs on horizon, no linux involved.
Oh..that really answers my question and above :)
You probably heard this a million times before but THANK YOU for your hard work my dude.
This means more than you would think to many of us :)

Reactions: m4xw

fst312

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PlayStation 2 and GameCube. Never really looked into it but does ps2 emulation run well on consoles, hopefully that’s one of the systems and it works out. Wii should be possible too, I’m sure there’s a small selection of games that don’t need motion controls.

Euphonique

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I know it's not a stable version but... Thank you so much bringing Retroarch to the switch! I tested it and it works pretty well. All of my SNES Games are running absolutely smooth. The inputs are great and the sound too. Good work!

The only bug I've found so far is the time of the clock isn't right. Is there an option to correct that? Maybe timezone settings? But it seems this problem exists on other systems too.
And it would be great if we could have an option to show the battery and/or clock while playing too. Especially the battery.

Vahkiti

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Canada
It should be noted that the nightly is VERY unstable. At least for PSX games. I've had to restart Symphony of the Night three times because the emulator will crash seemingly at random, and corrupt the configs, saves, and save STATES all in one fell swoop. It should probably go without saying but if you value your progress... maybe stick with RetroNX until the stable release is out.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Personally, I think I'll never hack my switch
Nintendo did good with security measures from what I heard
There's too much risk for us to get banned
If I want to play retroarch, I think I'll keep it to Wii U

I know, there's no way to get banned if I don't go online
But the thing is, I want to go online sometime