Hacking First GC MultiGame ISO Creator Attempt: Failure :(

Cyber Akuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a softmodded Wii, launch version, and use GC Backup Launcher to launch my burned GC disks.

I tried making a DVD5 with all of the GameCube pokemon games on it (I chose the shrink option in order to make them all fit), and although the disk itself boots, the menu is empty (at least I assume so, I have no idea what it's menu is supposed to look like). I made sure to select DVD5 and not DVD9.

All I see is a big purple menu with four differently-colored GC logos, the message "MultiGame DVD9 Ver" at to the top right and inside the menu the words "MAIN MENU" with the options "Boot DVD" and "Credits"..... that's it. I don't see the 5 or so games I put on this multidisk anywhere. If I choose Boot DVD it lists the date and model of my DVD drive, says that its OK, then just goes back to the main menu, it fails to boot any other single-disk backup I put in the Wii, even if they boot fine from GC Backup Loader.

It seems pretty likely that the disk itself and the multi-game GC manager did indeed boot, but why is it empty? Why are none of the GC games listed?

Another weird thing, if I look inside the ISO using winrar, it claims to have three files, one is supposedly around 4.7 gigs and the other around 2.5 gigs, for a total of around 7.2 gigs, despite the ISO itself being 3.4 gigs and not compressed, whats going on?

Help?
unsure.gif

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hmm...have you tried with neogamma? It's the successor of GC backup launcher. I'm not even sure if the original supports multigame disks.

"softmodded wii" and "launch version" don't mean that much. In fact, if you haven't maintained your softmod since then, chances are high that your cMIOS is outdated. You might want to update to a recent version (linky).

dysan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Greece
also try to use better quality DVDs
I tried burning baten kaitos 2 with a cheaper brand and it woulnd't even recognize there was a DVD inside the WII.

tried with Verbatim DVDs and game works.

Cyber Akuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wever said:
Hmm...have you tried with neogamma? It's the successor of GC backup launcher. I'm not even sure if the original supports multigame disks.

Huh, I thought that neogamma was a Wii HDD loader? And im confused, I mean, it loaded the multidisk, but the multidisk itself couldn't see any games on itself.

Wever said:
"softmodded wii" and "launch version" don't mean that much. In fact, if you haven't maintained your softmod since then, chances are high that your cMIOS is outdated. You might want to update to a recent version (linky).

I've maintained my softmod just fine, and I said launch version because I know that later model Wiis have a disk drive that can't read burned disks.

QUOTE(dysan @ Feb 22 2011, 02:57 AM)
also try to use better quality DVDs
I tried burning baten kaitos 2 with a cheaper brand and it woulnd't even recognize there was a DVD inside the WII.

tried with Verbatim DVDs and game works.

I am using premium line Taiyo Yuden DVD-Rs, I also burned them at 1x.

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Cyber Akuma said:
Huh, I thought that neogamma was a Wii HDD loader? And im confused, I mean, it loaded the multidisk, but the multidisk itself couldn't see any games on itself.
NeoGamma is a good wii backup launcher with DVD and HDD and the best gamecube backup launcher with DVD only. Read the first topic post and you will get it to work.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
GC mode on wii:

Neogamma + updated cMIOS (custom MIOS, will allow you to play backups) + compatible DVD drive.

I use Neogamma 9 rev44 & Waninkoko CMIOS V5(MIOSV10) & CIOS249 REV21 @ base 58

I have no problems so far =P

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
WiiPower said:
If you have a modchip, then it will only work with single game discs.
I have a modchip and tried early beta9 revisions (I didn't try the newer one). When I tried to launch a multi game disc, it said "error" but then booted GCOS like if I booted the disc from the Wii menu without a cMios.
I think the only problem using a modchip is that you can't use the launch menu to press Z to select the 2nd disc to swap ingame.
But the disc actually booted without problem. Maybe on recent revision you changed the way GC disc is detected/booting and it doesn't work at all? I'll try it again when I'll have time.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Cyan said:
WiiPower said:
If you have a modchip, then it will only work with single game discs.
I have a modchip and tried early beta9 revisions (I didn't try the newer one). When I tried to launch a multi game disc, it said "error" but then booted GCOS like if I booted the disc from the Wii menu without a cMios.
I think the only problem using a modchip is that you can't use the launch menu to press Z to select the 2nd disc to swap ingame.
But the disc actually booted without problem. Maybe on recent revision you changed the way GC disc is detected/booting and it doesn't work at all? I'll try it again when I'll have time.

Ok i have to explain it better:
If you have a modchip, then NeoGamma can't read the multi game data for the game and just boots MIOS. This means, no video mode patches(limited forcing still working...), no Ocarina, no plugin debugging and no Wind Waker fix. And the next version will refuse to work, because it won't boot MIOS if there's a read error.

Cyber Akuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't believe this....

Seems the latest version of GC MultiGame ISO Creator (4.0.4F+) has a problem or bug or something where the multi-game ISO it churns out.... is total garbage. It can't even read the ISO itself!

So I tried the previous version that seems to be more popular (v3.5.4F+) and this one works.......... but it always makes the ISO in PAL mode even though I chose USA-NTSC! It forces the games which are already NTSC to run in PAL mode too!

Has anybody ever made a damn WORKING version of this program?

Skater4599

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cyber Akuma said:
I don't believe this....

Seems the latest version of GC MultiGame ISO Creator (4.0.4F+) has a problem or bug or something where the multi-game ISO it churns out.... is total garbage. It can't even read the ISO itself!

So I tried the previous version that seems to be more popular (v3.5.4F+) and this one works.......... but it always makes the ISO in PAL mode even though I chose USA-NTSC! It forces the games which are already NTSC to run in PAL mode too!

Has anybody ever made a damn WORKING version of this program?

Interesting.. I was just looking into trying this and burning the GC games i play to one dual layer disc. Any luck on finding a working version of this? I don't want to go wasting dual layer discs or DVD's testing out different versions

Skater4599

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks WiiPower, I will try that out. I actually have a d2ckey modchip so I was hoping to be able to use disc channel > dual layer > 480p but I just don't think that's gonna happen lol.

Also I used to have the .iso files on my PC as a backup but i've lost them, Is there anyway to redump a burned disc i have to an .iso, cleandump does not work with the burned disc, it freezes and initializing DVD drive.

modrobert

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Keep in mind that GC games with streaming audio will fail on multi-game discs. The whole idea pretty much sucked on a real GameCube, and still do on Wii.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
modrobert said:
Keep in mind that GC games with streaming audio will fail on multi-game discs. The whole idea pretty much sucked on a real GameCube, and still do on Wii.

That's the modchips failing. If you can get it to shift the start offset for all reads from 0 to x, the chips should do the same with the audio streaming. Maybe there are good chips that can handle this and bad ones that can only handle it for single game discs?

modrobert

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
WiiPower said:
modrobert said:

That's the modchips failing. If you can get it to shift the start offset for all reads from 0 to x, the chips should do the same with the audio streaming. Maybe there are good chips that can handle this and bad ones that can only handle it for single game discs?

There aren't any modchips which can handle it on multi-game discs, afaik it's not possible to relocate. I'm referring to games with CDDA on DVD, not audio in data tracks. Funny thing is that some of these games fail (freeze) without the audio tracks, seem to remember that happened on PSX (Playstation 1) as well.

BTW:

This is not to be confused with the "audio fix" feature which most modchips can handle.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1