Gaming Fire Emblem PG Fates : WTF Ninty

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
Nintendo knows that most people in the west don't want to take part in their perverted hentai fantasies. People kicked off when they raised the ages and clothing coverage of Bravely Default characters and all I could think about was the mental state of the developers/designers that put skimpy bikinis on 14 year-old video game characters.

I'm totally against censorship, but I'm majorly for games being changed to better suit my demographic. This is a case of the latter (but, sadly, not by enough), not the former.

Honestly, I'd be happy if they just cut out all the affection bullshit altogether. I want to play a strategy game (which FE does better than any other series IMO), not a strategy-romance simulator. I didn't mind so much with Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn as they didn't really take it too far. In Awakening, it was the equivalent of getting a Ken and Barbie doll together and role playing their relationship before mashing their bodies together. I wish I could have avoided it, but it was a requirement to improve the chances of characters helping each other out on the battlefield. Fates might be the first instance where I cheat at a 3DS game so I can get the benefits of affection levels without choosing what Ken says to Barbie to get in her pants.

Yes, voice acting sucks and it's because people don't really talk to each other like that. It just comes with the territory when playing games with this art style. I just wish we could go back to the Fire Emblem games of old where you just worry about not standing your sword guy within reach of a lance guy.

Last edited by McHaggis,
Reactions: Seita and CeeDee

Potato hoarder

Hoarder of Potatoes
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
since voice, tone and gestures are extremely culturally diverse, it stands to reason that all that stuff would be really offputting in original japanese dub.
It would depend on preference. Some people would prefer either one for several reasons. It just depends how you weigh the pros and cons of each dub

M-DitzyDoo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, you're an ass. He's a weeb just because he wants the full content? Everyone playing Nintendo games are weebs too, because Nintendo is Japanese.

Ok, so, now just because I live in america ( the continent, USA isn't a continent ) I can't like things like that? My brain HAS to NOT accept it? Well, first of all, if there was a Nintendo of Brazil, they most likely wouldn't be pulling up with this censorship bullshit, but just because the USA is a stupid country full of easily offended 12 year olds, the entirety of America has to get fucked too? Let's not even forget that the people that actually even get offended or dislike the things that were censored is very small, I doubt any kid is going to be playing a Fire Emblem game.

I don't want the full content being taken away from me just because I don't live in Japan or don't have a JP 3DS ( Which I should have bought when I was there ).

So, please, stop defending what is wrong. This is not a dictatorship, nothing should get censored because of people.
One, I think we can all agree that it's not the player base the localization team is worried about, so I think we can drop that point. Two, cultural dissonance is a very real issue in localizing media. A good example would be depictions of child nudity (ala barbie doll anatomy, natch) between Japan and the U.S.A. In Japan, it's most commonly associated with innocence and purity, where as it is considered really weird and stuff in the U.S.A. Another would be the fact the 'thumbs up' gesture is actually an insult in some countries. It's sometimes just not so cut and dry as saying 'tough cookies, deal with it'. I don't know the extend of the changes to the dialogue, so I'm not going to defend that either way atm, but there's a rhyme and reason behind localization... usually. Three, the U.S.A. is hardly alone in censorship policy. I mean, have you seen Thailand's anime dubs? They make us look downright exhibitionist at times. Even Japan has been known to censor games, like the latest MGS and Gears of War games. So this isn't just an issue of one country dragging the rest down, despite what a lot of people seem to think.

...now to wonder if anyone bothers reading this block of text I spent entirely too much time on XD.

Potato hoarder

Hoarder of Potatoes
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nintendo knows that most people in the west don't want to take part in their perverted hentai fantasies. People kicked off when they raised the ages and clothing coverage of Bravely Default characters and all I could think about was the mental state of the developers/designers that put skimpy bikinis on 14 year-old video game characters.

I'm totally against censorship, but I'm majorly for games being changed to better suit my demographic. This is a case of the latter (but, sadly, not by enough), not the former.

Honestly, I'd be happy if they just cut out all the affection bullshit altogether. I want to play a strategy game (which FE does better than any other series IMO), not a strategy-romance simulator. I didn't mind so much with Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn as they didn't really take it too far. In Awakening, it was the equivalent of getting a Ken and Barbie doll together and role playing their relationship before mashing their bodies together. I wish I could have avoided it, but it was a requirement to improve the chances of characters helping each other out on the battlefield. Fates might be the first instance where I cheat at a 3DS game so I can get the benefits of affection levels without choosing what Ken says to Barbie to get in her pants.

Yes, voice acting sucks and it's because people don't really talk to each other like that. It just comes with the territory when playing games with this art style. I just wish we could go back to the Fire Emblem games of old where you just worry about not standing your sword guy within reach of a lance guy.
American/Brittish guy: I can only wonder what the mental state of the developers that put a bikini on a 14 year old video game character.
*turns on tv to see toddlers and tiaras ano other similar shows*

Last edited by Potato hoarder,

Brunho

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

Although we probably have different opinions about the so called "perverted hentai fantasies", I must agree with one thing: Fire Emblem is far from the strategy game it used to be. Before, it was really about the strategic gameplay, with the support conversations just giving a plus to the story, but Nintendo tried to make an experiment, merging more Romance and Visual Novel elements with it.

Well, since experiment was a success and the games have been selling a lot, they will probably keep this way. The sad thing is that these new elements just don´t appeal for some longtime fans and they are giving up on the series.

One, I think we can all agree that it's not the player base the localization team is worried about, so I think we can drop that point. Two, cultural dissonance is a very real issue in localizing media. A good example would be depictions of child nudity (ala barbie doll anatomy, natch) between Japan and the U.S.A. In Japan, it's most commonly associated with innocence and purity, where as it is considered really weird and stuff in the U.S.A. Another would be the fact the 'thumbs up' gesture is actually an insult in some countries. It's sometimes just not so cut and dry as saying 'tough cookies, deal with it'. I don't know the extend of the changes to the dialogue, so I'm not going to defend that either way atm, but there's a rhyme and reason behind localization... usually. Three, the U.S.A. is hardly alone in censorship policy. I mean, have you seen Thailand's anime dubs? They make us look downright exhibitionist at times. Even Japan has been known to censor games, like the latest MGS and Gears of War games. So this isn't just an issue of one country dragging the rest down, despite what a lot of people seem to think.

...now to wonder if anyone bothers reading this block of text I spent entirely too much time on XD.

I agree with you, it falls much on which country and which culture the localization is aiming and usually I can understand why the localization team do some changes (even if I don´t agree). But in Nintendo´s case, there are some true mysteries, for example, I still didn´t understand why they removed the risque clothes in Fatal Frame V for the West, a game that´s already rated 18+ because of its horror elements.

Reactions: Sliter and McHaggis

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
THAT IS THE FUCKING IMPORTANCE OF VOICE ACTING.
Your senses trust more those signs than the words, specially in building empathy, sustaining suspension of disbelief, and believing the character personality.
and hating tails eglsh voice /runs/

Kudos man, you just wrote a guide on understanding women xD
nice point? xD

Wow, you're an ass. He's a weeb just because he wants the full content? Everyone playing Nintendo games are weebs too, because Nintendo is Japanese.
don't feed the troll :/ trolls are worse than they say about weebs lol

Ok, so, now just because I live in america ( the continent, USA isn't a continent ) I can't like things like that? My brain HAS to NOT accept it? Well, first of all, if there was a Nintendo of Brazil, they most likely wouldn't be pulling up with this censorship bullshit, but just because the USA is a stupid country full of easily offended 12 year olds, the entirety of America has to get fucked too? Let's not even forget that the people that actually even get offended or dislike the things that were censored is very small, I doubt any kid is going to be playing a Fire Emblem game.
I still hope is he asked for, they would hear us and base stuff from the japanese ... I know we have a lot of fansub people that would love to work on it hahah

you are putting your opinion in front of what is right, if they think the game isn't apropriate, don't get it at first place, instead of changing to make they appropriate according what they think, was I told Is stupid like puting clotes or black bars on greek statues on history books and museums so kids don't see nudity :P
Man, I also don't like this echhi meromero , fanservice and stuff, but look what you are saying " they changed it! deal with it!", but why not" the created like this, deal with it!" ??? the values are inveted here

I know some Fire Emblem fans that hates 3DS version because of the fanservice part but they don't say stuff needed to be changed, they don't liked that stuff on these titles, but it came out like that? ok hope the next be better (got worse but ok :v )

One, I think we can all agree that it's not the player base the localization team is worried about, so I think we can drop that point. Two, cultural dissonance is a very real issue in localizing media. A good example would be depictions of child nudity (ala barbie doll anatomy, natch) between Japan and the U.S.A. In Japan, it's most commonly associated with innocence and purity, where as it is considered really weird and stuff in the U.S.A. Another would be the fact the 'thumbs up' gesture is actually an insult in some countries. It's sometimes just not so cut and dry as saying 'tough cookies, deal with it'. I don't know the extend of the changes to the dialogue, so I'm not going to defend that either way atm, but there's a rhyme and reason behind localization... usually.
This is very relative
Do you rember 4kids that tried to hiden japan on anime that everyone knows that come from japan, the guys take the shoes out to get in home, live in an all japanese looking los angeles (lololO)and a sholl taht doen't looks like the one he knows, but eating a onigiri is impossible to kid to understand that it's a food from japan,where the character is, even knowing the cartoon come from there? xp (and his kind of attitude looks very stupid :v ) , one thing is PIT victory on smash4 , doing the " òwo)v" [lol] , japanese says " Peace!!" and english " VICTORYYY" , just because the sing meaning... but the point is: it's come from anther country, you know that culture must be different, so i'ts a different culture you need to learn and understand, not censure and hate comparing to your own... In this case the idea is like 300 of sparta needed to be changed to samurai so it's allright to be shown in japan, else this doesn't make sense since their past warrioras wheren't like that ... why when an western production of an asiatic placed movie it's allright to use some words of language, stuff of culture, but when it comes from this culture, it aren't nice to keep?
(hope you read this block like I did on your xD)

I agree with you, it falls much on which country and which culture the localization is aiming and usually I can understand why the localization team do some changes (even if I don´t agree). But in Nintendo´s case, there are some true mysteries, for example, I still didn´t understand why they removed the risque clothes in Fatal Frame V for the West, a game that´s already rated 18+ because of its horror elements.
because they are idiots XD

I don't know man I think USA care too much about their base (that their created there, like us they are an colonization country and the actuall natives are few xp).. I mean .. we Brazilian even accepted well every immigrant that came on times.. some families still have their "race setup" that need to be follow but well, late 80' we had a lot of dubbed tokusatsu and anime.. none of them needed to be changed like USA did with power rangers or some anime, where just translated with some necessary localization and was success :/

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
American/Brittish guy: I can only wonder what the mental state of the developers that put a bikini on a 14 year old video game character.
*turns on tv to see toddlers and tiaras ano other similar shows*
Yikes! I had to look that up to find out what you were talking about. I'm actually a father, I couldn't imagine any of my kids getting dolled up like that, they don't even look real! Still, barely-clothed teens is different because it's of a sexual fantasy nature.

you are putting your opinion in front of what is right, if they think the game isn't apropriate, don't get it at first place, instead of changing to make they appropriate according what they think, was I told Is stupid like puting clotes or black bars on greek statues on history books and museums so kids don't see nudity :P
Man, I also don't like this echhi meromero , fanservice and stuff, but look what you are saying " they changed it! deal with it!", but why not" the created like this, deal with it!" ??? the values are inveted here
I'm putting my opinion in front of what's happened, but what's right is equally as subjective. Art and video games are two very different things, the latter is a form of entertainment and is more akin to movies and TV, which are heavily censored at every step from on set, to the cutting room floor, to the final release/broadcast. Video game publishers have to maximise sales by targeting the largest demographic they can without changing a game too radically. As these are minor elements from the game, it's not a radical change and they are absolutely—in my opinion—right to change them to cater to a larger demographic. Many TV shows and films are cut in exactly the same way to keep their age rating down and maximise sales.

In Japan, it's a different culture. These things are more acceptable. The developers are Japanese and they do things that are considered acceptable in their culture. When it gets picked up for publishing by a company in another region (yes, NoE, NoA and NoJ are all separate companies), they're obviously going to remove things that aren't culturally acceptable in that region. "Don't release it in the first place" (I think that's what you were trying to say) doesn't help anyone, does it?

Brunho

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

late 80' we had a lot of dubbed tokusatsu and anime.. none of them needed to be changed like USA did with power rangers or some anime, where just translated with some necessary localization and was success :/

Yeah, Brazil received great tokusatsus like Kamen Rider Black and Changeman, it´s a shame that years later we would abandon the Sentai and only dub Power Rangers.

We also had things a little mixed in the nineties. On one side, we received the 4Kids version of Yu-Gi-Oh, that´s almost a completely different show from the original, with so much alterations and cut content, on the other side, our Dragon Ball Z was dubbed from the original and we got Mr. Satan instead of Hercule XD

I don't want the full content being taken away from me just because I don't live in Japan or don't have a JP 3DS ( Which I should have bought when I was there ).

Although I think localization is up to personal preference (like changing names), the one thing that should never happen is cutting content, that´s really unacceptable. I would like to think that a Nintendo of Brazil could do better, but we have some laws that maybe could lead to censoring.

At this rate, I also regret not having bought a JP 3DS.

Reactions: Pacheko17

Potato hoarder

Hoarder of Potatoes
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yikes! I had to look that up to find out what you were talking about. I'm actually a father, I couldn't imagine any of my kids getting dolled up like that, they don't even look real! Still, barely-clothed teens is different because it's of a sexual fantasy nature.

I'm putting my opinion in front of what's happened, but what's right is equally as subjective. Art and video games are two very different things, the latter is a form of entertainment and is more akin to movies and TV, which are heavily censored at every step from on set, to the cutting room floor, to the final release/broadcast. Video game publishers have to maximise sales by targeting the largest demographic they can without changing a game too radically. As these are minor elements from the game, it's not a radical change and they are absolutely—in my opinion—right to change them to cater to a larger demographic. Many TV shows and films are cut in exactly the same way to keep their age rating down and maximise sales.

In Japan, it's a different culture. These things are more acceptable. The developers are Japanese and they do things that are considered acceptable in their culture. When it gets picked up for publishing by a company in another region (yes, NoE, NoA and NoJ are all separate companies), they're obviously going to remove things that aren't culturally acceptable in that region. "Don't release it in the first place" (I think that's what you were trying to say) doesn't help anyone, does it?
I agree on some points but it comes down to the question of is it art.

Also, Japanese people can make the same argument against shows like that. "How is it even worse when in our case, they're older"

Last edited by Potato hoarder,

Nikki_swap

The Lewdest
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im almost at the final chapter of birthright and it isnt really that bad, if someone's weaboo factor is being triggered by this, character's breasts still bounce on the costume shop.

Reactions: Brunho and VinsCool

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
im almost at the final chapter of birthright and it isnt really that bad, if someone's weaboo factor is being triggered by this, character's breasts still bounce on the costume shop.
I guarantee you that whenever the game comes to Europe I will buy it, in its special edition splendor. And play it like that.
Meanwhile, if I have to pirate because FU Nintendo, I see no reason not to play the translated version instead of the lesser American one.
PS: I hope they make the European version better, but I seriously doubt they would redo that ear cancer generator.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,

Brunho

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I guarantee you that whenever the game comes to Europe I will buy it, in its special edition splendor. And play it like that.
Meanwhile, if I have to pirate because FU Nintendo, I see no reason to play the translated version instead of the lesser American one.
PS: I hope they make the European version better, but I seriously doubt they would redo that ear cancer generator.

At the time of the European release, maybe she has learned how to act...

...romantically

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I told you xD /runs/
this is man, they arent real, they are representation ...
Again I don't agree about filling an strategy games with fetish and fanservice, but in an artistic view, an arts drawn how they see stuff, not how are on reality ... so lolis are the lolicon view of the kid, not an real kid xD oh well

I'm putting my opinion in front of what's happened, but what's right is equally as subjective. Art and video games are two very different things,
subjective, yes I messed up
Art and video games are two very different things > don't totally agree, is not becau eit's commercial that aren't art, actually, art is an product why people think that art is for free? XD
like you told, Movies are also, a lot of people doing a piece , they are paid for.
Art is not all you like to do because hm ... I don't reached this point, but for example if I get really need of money I wouldn't care to drawn yiff, something I really don't like... I doubt lot of japanese voice actresses like doing ecchi thing :/ voice acting is also art and started in a commercial way , right?a lot of people hate their jobs xD
well its relative of ponion too (else the part that art isn't a work or is free :P)
So yeah, censoring stuff from a game is like putting clothes on greek statues because someone thing it would be better, it can help to reach more public? maybe, but its intervention and anyway the game wasn't meant to kids, like fatal frame, no reason to change mature stuff... so at all no real reason that is MUST be made, you enjoying it or not is a different thing, reaching more public isn't the excuse, the thirst for money should not cross therating system .. else we will have stuff like this happening xp

We also had things a little mixed in the nineties. On one side, we received the 4Kids version of Yu-Gi-Oh, that´s almost a completely different show from the original, with so much alterations and cut content, on the other side, our Dragon Ball Z was dubbed from the original and we got Mr. Satan instead of Hercule XD
yeha xD but this deppend from the studo .. oh how I wanted pokemon came from japan here, everything would be different xDDD
USA Yugioh is a joke :P
even Brazilian is a thing ... one time I went to watch for nostalgy and the guy was talking a lot of his " maior de todas as bocas" that are coming in few turns , then it happened and a monster with not that big mouth comes .. I was thinking why and tried to figure out the english name ... the monster was a moth ... greath moth ... moth-> mouth...? WTF??? xD (this history is funnier said in portuguese :P )

Although I think localization is up to personal preference (like changing names),
this is very relative I don't agree at all... like In pokemon, for me is too wrong they change people names, now pokemon having different names in each language is an interesting thing XD

I personally don't mind bad voice acting. If I understand what they say, that's enough for me. Even if the japanese voice is better, if I don't understand, that's pointless, IMO.
this is what subtitles are for ....
Don't get me bad, I like dubbing A LOT if I haven't my diction problem I would love to work of this, is something I was curious since young and still like nowadays!!
But quality is important ...Game dubs here is a very new thing, we had mortal kombat X full translated, some people think it's strange to hear a characters in a game talking in our language because common is finding a game in english and stuff(even translated text is a bit of shock sometimes haha)
general dub was great! but one character.... here was a bad reception because she was dubbed by an popular singer (not a voice actress >w>) and really sounded bad, was a bad idea and make a lot regret all dubbed games (because they are stupid), but was very dead and emotionless, make we get a "urgh" every time she talks.
So yeah no problem with dubs but make they good! why they can do it so good in english when it's the first audio , but when it's an dub it's all dead and bad ? I really can't understand how people accept so easy bad dubs :v even more than something with original voice ? just being able to understand is enough?

One thing comes my head is that people who are used to have game son their native language give less value to it, It's something new here and is like " WOOOOW THIS GAME IS TRANSLATED!!!" and we don't have to play with an translation/dictionary at your side (or skip uknown words and try to figure out whats happening lol, this or smash A, claiming about the text never end and ignoring everything because don't know the language or are tired of translating stuff on the head... well this know with stuff on native language too haha )
NOt sure if is that or my love to games but I really enjoy a well done job, some people just say that games in portuguese and dubbed stuff(movies, cartoon,anime etc)are junk because it's bad made and the original is better, but we have a lot of stuff really well done, but they don't give a change because the bad ones...
One adaptation I really like is our version of YuyuHakusho, they make the character SO MUCH BRAZILIAN , more than Brazilian Tv shows does:v lol but the character keept japanese living in japan, keept their names, keept their personalities
Usa is like "lets tell its somewhere in another word or USA, change names and make they talk in english with no emotion is important for location" ... these changes are really important?? Why kamiu needed to be changed to Corrin?

Corrin sounds funny in portuguese pronunciation...

Last edited by Sliter,
Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
I think the same would apply if the game were Russian, German or French. It is not about some Japanese fanaticism, it is just that the original content is way fucking better.
Look:

Come on, tell me you can bear that VA with a straight face.
Tell me you don't wanna puke while you listen that.
Tell me all that, and then I will be sure you have some kind of psychological problem.

Oh god, someone put a cringe warning on that. This is why the script shouldn't be censored, not for lewdness or weeb appeal, but because the localized script usually ends up sounding cliche'd and much worse, and even out of context sometimes.

Brunho

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
yeha xD but this deppend from the studo .. oh how I wanted pokemon came from japan here, everything would be different xDDD
USA Yugioh is a joke :P
even Brazilian is a thing ... one time I went to watch for nostalgy and the guy was talking a lot of his " maior de todas as bocas" that are coming in few turns , then it happened and a monster with not that big mouth comes .. I was thinking why and tried to figure out the english name ... the monster was a moth ... greath moth ... moth-> mouth...? WTF??? xD (this history is funnier said in portuguese :P )

Haha, I remember this episode, laughed so much with that dubbing, that translation was realy a shame.

this is very relative I don't agree at all... like In pokemon, for me is too wrong they change people names, now pokemon having different names in each language is an interesting thing XD

I also prefer much more the original names, always. But I´ve grew up with Ash and now I know he´s Satoshi and nothing changed. I mean, if I had a chance to talk to the localization teams, the first thing I would ask for would be missing content, and lastly the names XD

M-DitzyDoo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

nice point? xD

don't feed the troll :/ trolls are worse than they say about weebs lol

I still hope is he asked for, they would hear us and base stuff from the japanese ... I know we have a lot of fansub people that would love to work on it hahah

I know some Fire Emblem fans that hates 3DS version because of the fanservice part but they don't say stuff needed to be changed, they don't liked that stuff on these titles, but it came out like that? ok hope the next be better (got worse but ok :v )

This is very relative
Do you rember 4kids that tried to hiden japan on anime that everyone knows that come from japan, the guys take the shoes out to get in home, live in an all japanese looking los angeles (lololO)and a sholl taht doen't looks like the one he knows, but eating a onigiri is impossible to kid to understand that it's a food from japan,where the character is, even knowing the cartoon come from there? xp (and his kind of attitude looks very stupid :v ) , one thing is PIT victory on smash4 , doing the " òwo)v" [lol] , japanese says " Peace!!" and english " VICTORYYY" , just because the sing meaning... but the point is: it's come from anther country, you know that culture must be different, so i'ts a different culture you need to learn and understand, not censure and hate comparing to your own... In this case the idea is like 300 of sparta needed to be changed to samurai so it's allright to be shown in japan, else this doesn't make sense since their past warrioras wheren't like that ... why when an western production of an asiatic placed movie it's allright to use some words of language, stuff of culture, but when it comes from this culture, it aren't nice to keep?
(hope you read this block like I did on your xD)

because they are idiots XD

I don't know man I think USA care too much about their base (that their created there, like us they are an colonization country and the actuall natives are few xp).. I mean .. we Brazilian even accepted well every immigrant that came on times.. some families still have their "race setup" that need to be follow but well, late 80' we had a lot of dubbed tokusatsu and anime.. none of them needed to be changed like USA did with power rangers or some anime, where just translated with some necessary localization and was success :/
4kids was it's own level of translation trainwreck, it's just not fair using it as an example XD. I mean, good lord, look at that orignal one piece theme. And while I agree that some things don't need much adaptation (come on, even when I was a kid I could tell those weren't doughnuts), things that rely on cultural or mythological themes just don't make much sense outside their home country. And lord knows we'd never be able to read the writing, attempting to replace it with English text was often just the easiest thing to do since they can't exactly add scenes where the characters are explaining everything they see. Wide-spread internet access is a pretty recent thing, even when I was growing up I didn't have regular internet access, so you couldn't just tell my kid-self to go look things up, so the general foreign knowledge level is probably an order of magnitude or two lower than it is nowadays. Even now I still need to look up what various monsters and such are as a reminder to keep things straight. Sure, you don't NEED to know the cultural significance (usually, every now and then it's plot important), but without it it's just another thing that goes bump in the night. There's also still the issue that identical behavior in two different cultures can be taken two very different ways. For example, in China, eating all the food on your plate is an insult, but in many western countries it's a compliment. Neither is wrong, but if you're trying to convey someone making an insult, then you'll probably need to change something if the story is going from China to elsewhere. It'd just be confusing to have the scene play out the same way with no explanation why there is suddenly an argument or such. It's not really about trying to suppress or deny another culture, it's just there's usually not enough time to properly explain things in most mediums.

...I'm afraid I don't really understand the usage of 300 as an example though, given that the Americas never had Spartans either. By that logic, shouldn't they have been cowboys in the U.S.A. release?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu