ROM Hack Fire Emblem Fates: ROM Hacking General Thread

SecretiveCactus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That format is probably easy for them to understand. Did Awakening have that same format too or did it start at Fates?

Awakening's format is basically identical iirc.

It is, yes -- though Awakening like to specify BGM in-conversation, while Fates never does.

It's a little strange, honestly -- I've found a number of basic typos in the dumped game text when it comes to specifying emotions and other things (and yes, I ran those scenes in the game to check and the stuff didn't trigger), so I'm not entirely certain that they use any kind of automation when writing the game text. In that light, the format is simply bizarre... Though I'm sure they have an actual control code reference, which would simplify things immensely. There are a ton of them that are completely unknown to me.

Kobazco

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've spent quite a bit of time learning how to use these various tools, but I can't seem to get any of RainThunder's python scripts to work - or at least I don't understand how to use them properly. As of now I want to add in a new chapter.

Puppenspieler

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I've spent quite a bit of time learning how to use these various tools, but I can't seem to get any of RainThunder's python scripts to work - or at least I don't understand how to use them properly. As of now I want to add in a new chapter.

Same here.
This is the error I get:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\XXXXXX\Desktop\3DS hacking\fefates-tools-master\gamedata_module.py", line 54, in <module>
import gamedata
File "C:\Users\XXXXXX\Desktop\3DS hacking\fefates-tools-master\gamedata.py", line 35, in <module>
import bin
ImportError: No module named bin
>>>

Does anyone have any idea why and how to fix this? I've got noooo clue and I'm really confused right now! I got the python scripts just yesterday, so I guess they should be the most recent version, and... yeah. I need help. ._."

Kobazco

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Same here.
This is the error I get:

File "C:\Users\XXXXXX\Desktop\3DS hacking\fefates-tools-master\gamedata_module.py", line 54, in <module>
import gamedata
File "C:\Users\XXXXXX\Desktop\3DS hacking\fefates-tools-master\gamedata.py", line 35, in <module>
import bin
ImportError: No module named bin
>>>

Does anyone have any idea why and how to fix this? I've got noooo clue and I'm really confused right now! I got the python scripts just yesterday, so I guess they should be the most recent version, and... yeah. I need help. ._."
Mine just doesn't even open sadly.

Kobazco

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see! Good luck to you! I really hope you get it to work! ♥
Thanks, I'm trying to do a lot to make a custom Paralogue so I hope it works as well! I spent all of the time not being able to insert and test the chapter making dialogues lol. Here's a preview if anyone wants to check it out. (I'm not a good writer and this was made very fast)

Oh also, for the Chapter ID what should I enter? I'm worried about overwriting an existing chapter or something in the command --chapter ID G001

Last edited by Kobazco,

Puppenspieler

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Thanks, I'm trying to do a lot to make a custom Paralogue so I hope it works as well! I spent all of the time not being able to insert and test the chapter making dialogues lol. Here's a preview if anyone wants to check it out. (I'm not a good writer and this was made very fast)

Oh also, for the Chapter ID what should I enter? I'm worried about overwriting an existing chapter or something in the command --chapter ID G001

Wow, that looks pretty interesting! I'd like to see more as soon as - yeah. There's more to see.
I want to add custom Paralogues as well, so I hope I get it to work, too. Somehow. I'm really, reaaaaaaaaaaally bad at all this.

Unfortunately, I don't know what ID would be safe. I guess it should be alright as long as you use pretty high numbers? The highest I can find checking chapter IDs via nightmare tools is 79, so... I guess 80 up is safe?

Kobazco

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, that looks pretty interesting! I'd like to see more as soon as - yeah. There's more to see.
I want to add custom Paralogues as well, so I hope I get it to work, too. Somehow. I'm really, reaaaaaaaaaaally bad at all this.

Unfortunately, I don't know what ID would be safe. I guess it should be alright as long as you use pretty high numbers? The highest I can find checking chapter IDs via nightmare tools is 79, so... I guess 80 up is safe?
Thanks! Also I got a similar error to you sadly...

PS D:\Source\fates\fefates-tools> python3 gamedata_module.py --chapter 80 G001
File "gamedata_module.py", line 313, in <module>
game_data.append(data_type, ids, names)
File "D:\Source\fates\fefates-tools\gamedata.py", line 106, in append
info = self.get_table_info(data_type)
File "D:\Source\fates\fefates-tools\gamedata.py", line 62, in get_table_info
return TableInfo._make((offset, 0x8, 0x1C, 0x4, 1, 0))
File "<string>", line 21, in _make
TypeError: Expected 5 arguments, got 6

Puppenspieler

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Huh. But you actually got farther into everything than I did, I guess?
Could you tell me how you set everything up? Like, where your python scripts and other files are stored and such?

Kobazco

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Huh. But you actually got farther into everything than I did, I guess?
Could you tell me how you set everything up? Like, where your python scripts and other files are stored and such?
I did mine through Windows Powershell instead, installed Python 3 via that. I had someone help me with that so I don't know exactly how to tell you how I did it.

Puppenspieler

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Oooookay... well, then I hope someone else can help me!
And you, for that matter. I'd really like to see your project come to life!

FlappyFalco

Smile, No Matter How Bad it Gets~
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
I apologize if this is seems like a stupid question, but would making bows neutral in the weapon triangle again require ASM editing? I'd say it would, and that all weapon type properties would be hard-coded, but I haven't poked around the files thoroughly.

On a related note, would giving each weapon a unique icon à la Awakening be possible?

Omegablu

We shall not yield to the Kingdom of Nohr!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I apologize if this is seems like a stupid question, but would making bows neutral in the weapon triangle again require ASM editing? I'd say it would, and that all weapon type properties would be hard-coded, but I haven't poked around the files thoroughly.

On a related note, would giving each weapon a unique icon à la Awakening be possible?
For the weapon triangle, that would definitely be hard coded in code.bin. The icons would likely be as well since they are tied to weapon types rather than the actual item itself.

Reactions: FlappyFalco

DeathChaos

Unmei wo koeru!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Is it possible to edit the Boo Camp DLC to where Golden Faceless only have one movement?
the tl;dr for this is, doable but not realistically.

First off, Person blocks in no way, shape or form, have any bytes for movement, this means that you absolutely can't edit mov on a per unit basis through romhacking, it's literally impossible.
Secondly, it IS possible to use eventing to modify a unit's mov (See: Chapter 8 Conquest Lancers with 3 mov), but eventing is a difficult task in and on itself.
Third, this is asumming you even have any idea how to unpack/repack the DLC itself for the changes.

thane98

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the tl;dr for this is, doable but not realistically.

First off, Person blocks in no way, shape or form, have any bytes for movement, this means that you absolutely can't edit mov on a per unit basis through romhacking, it's literally impossible.
Secondly, it IS possible to use eventing to modify a unit's mov (See: Chapter 8 Conquest Lancers with 3 mov), but eventing is a difficult task in and on itself.
Third, this is asumming you even have any idea how to unpack/repack the DLC itself for the changes.
I don't have my DLC dump on hand to check this at the moment, but couldn't you create a temporary version of the Faceless class with only 1 movement inside of the DLC? If that's the case, you could just assign that class to the golden Faceless to get the same effect.

DeathChaos

Unmei wo koeru!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
I don't have my DLC dump on hand to check this at the moment, but couldn't you create a temporary version of the Faceless class with only 1 movement inside of the DLC? If that's the case, you could just assign that class to the golden Faceless to get the same effect.
That's... Actually correct.

However, remember that you'd need to:
a) include the body/head sprites for said class (which you could just copy/paste and rename)
b) make a new JID in an asset file for it (which might prove to be a tad difficult depending on your knowledge of these things)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/TECN1Gm7j3A?si=XwYKYHKwxoMNdFqN