Finnish Anti-Piracy Group Demands Payment, Silence

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Rydian, Nov 24, 2012.

Nov 24, 2012
  1. Rydian
    OP

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    [​IMG] Source

Well it's not just the US that goes batshit crazy over IP I suppose? There's a lot more info in the source, such as her winnie-the-pooh laptop being confiscated and junk.

2. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    This sounds like an internet policy as designed by the Mafia strongmen. I'm just surprised it didn't include "broken kneecaps" as a potential penalty.

3. Zetta_x

Member Zetta_x The Insane Statistician

United States
    I was talking to a lawyer yesterday and it turns out the best defense for this is to leave your network open. Apparently a number of cases get thrown out because of that.

4. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    And the last thing she'll ever hear is "You should have taken the deal"

5. OrGoN3

Member OrGoN3 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    A very well known loophole. Your case is not guaranteed to be dismissed though.

6. Minox

Supervisor Minox Spytech Employee

Sweden
    Vulpes Abnocto and Satangel like this.
  7. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States

Why are these conditions need?

Eighteen and MegaBassBX like this.
  8. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    Option 1 - You don't allow me to download the torrent
    Option 2 - You allow me to download the torrent
    Option 3 - I make you allow me

Everything has become commercial. Now ppl wont become friends on facebook unless you pay them.

9. Izen

Member Izen GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The messed up part here is that no copyright infringement even occurred. The files downloaded were not music, they were just blocks of data being used to hunt down infringers. The intent is there, but the action is not, and furthermore, the music was legally bought afterward. No harm is done to the industry, no harm is done to the artist, no harm is done to the ISPs, and no harm is done to any consumer anywhere. This family is being pressured and fined because the 9-year-old daughter wanted to download music.

This is thought policing at its finest. Hard to believe we're in the 21st century.

ferofax likes this.
  10. Rydian
    OP

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    My concern is that the file was not actually downloaded, yet there was (that I think to be) blackmail involved.

Zetta_x likes this.
  11. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    People have discussing this for as long as p2p has made uploaders of us all (aided by most early wifi networks being open by default) but I had not heard of it being truly tested in court (they usually went for something a bit more esoteric like prove who it was in the house and as internal IP addresses and macs tend not to be broadcast....).

12. Qtis

Member Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Antarctica
    A Finnish girl was indeed in question as Minox mentioned. The media is having a field day with this case and TTVK (the anti-piracy group in question) has had quite a bit of negative rep. Just gotta love it, since TTVK hasn't given the name of the company doing the research or even how they managed to get the IP data :D

This is something quite interesting in terms of legal options of a registered association here in Finland (basically anyone can make one, no legal possibilities of doing house inspections). If you want to get a police to make a house call, you have to be able to charge the person with very probable evidence that the person will get at least 6 months of jail time. As there are two types of copyright infringement in Finland (Criminal = very profitable piracy business and "non-criminal" = made by someone with just a CD or something, not profitable), only the first one makes the requirements for a police warrant. In this case, I see no possibility of the person getting 6 months for one CD. In other words, AFAIK the case never met the requirements by Finnish law.

Interestingly enough, the person had bought the CD (has a receipt) and been to concerts of the artist in question (Chisu). The artist understands the father/daughter and tries to support the family, but there are others (another Finnish artist called Maija Vilkkumaa) that are bashing the father for his outburst on Facebook. Funny thing is that the other artist shared stuff (part of the UK series The Office (IIRC)) on her Facebook page and the Youtube link wasn't from the official channel of the series, which can be seen as copyright infringement by Finnish law. " : D "

ps. Finland is great with the 3 strikes policy. They actually closed an Åland (Ahvenanmaa in Finnish) government connection as a whole because of a possible uploading :P

13. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    Fuck. Off. If I want to download torrents, on internet and PC I pay for, my deal. Fuck. Off

14. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    I'm personally most concerned with the confiscation of the laptop. Yes, in this case it's a cute little nine year old child who ha no idea it was somehow bad (heck...with everyone and their mom doing it, it's not like a speech is going to make impact). But what if someone uses a laptop from work to download music? Small businesses not always have decent backup plans, which means a confiscation could lead to the loss of important corporate data. For very large businesses, the data on the PC may itself be very valuable.

This could create some "fun" situations for tech nitwits who use their work laptop for daily use. Not only are they charged for a whole lot of money, their employers won't be happy when they figure out the situation.*

*not sure how other companies do it, but if the laptop is broken, it has to be returned. If it's stolen, a police report have to be given.

15. aalokishere

Member aalokishere GBAtemp Regular

Nepal
    I thought you could download something provided that you own it and looks like the girl now owns it so isn't she not free from paying now?

16. Depravo

Global Moderator Depravo Jaded curmudgeon

United Kingdom
    Common misconception #4827

porkiewpyne likes this.
  17. aalokishere

Member aalokishere GBAtemp Regular

Nepal
    Isn't what I said true? It says so on many ROM sites at least. Might not be true for movies or music though...I don't know

18. Coconuts 500

Newcomer Coconuts 500 Advanced Member

No, that's not it.

You can download anything you want, ever, and it's fine. People are obliged to ignore laws that are irrelevant, such as copyright. This is how the world moves forward, and becomes right. Do not tolerate that which you do not accept. You will do what you please, as long as it doesn't physically or mentally hurt other beings. Breaking copyrights do not.

19. porkiewpyne

Member porkiewpyne Report-er

Australia
    And this is why we can never have good things....

20. Arras

Member Arras ★02

Netherlands
    I wonder what would've happened if she tried to download a legal torrent instead. (although Linux distros and Humble Bundles are the only ones I can think of at the moment)