Hacking Finally! No more WBFS drive, partition and managers

D

Deleted-171178

dude, stop the flame war, its not productive.

12002650792mflz0.jpg

jakejm79

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK the way I see this is the only way WBFS partitions become fragmented is if you remove games and then install others that don't fit exactly in the free space left from deleting the other games. Also I believe someone argument in a previous post was somewhat valid (the 2GB drive with 4 500mb games, deleting 2 and then installing a 900mb game leaving you with 100mb of unusable space), I believe his point was that with a FAT partition that 100mb of space would be available for homebrew/covers/etc since there is no need to put them on separate partitions not that it was usable for other games, in theory you could install all your games, find out what portion of free space you have left and then create a FAT partition in that amount (i.e. 100mb FAT partition and 1.9GB WBFS partition in the example above), but this isn't really practical since it involves removing all the data and copying it back.
I think the problem with fragmentation is prone on both WBFS or FAT but is also dependent on the Program/OS that writes the data there in the 1st place, with WBFS we have dedicated managers to that appear to write the data systematically but no tools for de-fragmenting with FAT you have those tools and you don't have to deal with managing partitions but the writing of the data is more hit or miss. Anyway it is nice to have options

Skizzo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
beegee7730 said:
'Dude', that post contains the only factual, supported by data, information about WBFS and fragmented files and it refutes the load of BS everyone has been fed up till now. If you want to call that a 'flame war' so be it. I could care less, but just out of curiousity, what exactly do you consider 'productive' in a thread such as this? FFS, there are many 'less productive' posts that you could have singled out if 'productivity' was indeed concerning you.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
robiul said:
Guys can someone provide the file of the original usb loader 1.5 dol with fat/fat32 support?

This does not exist. The 1.5 loader is very old was made by Waninkoko, the FAT support is brand new and was made by Hermes. I don't know which loaders support it, but i guess it's only uloader(from Hermes) and configurable usb loader for now.

robiul

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiPower said:
robiul said:
Guys can someone provide the file of the original usb loader 1.5 dol with fat/fat32 support?

This does not exist. The 1.5 loader is very old was made by Waninkoko, the FAT support is brand new and was made by Hermes. I don't know which loaders support it, but i guess it's only uloader(from Hermes) and configurable usb loader for now.

Yeah but doesnt the dol hold it? So why can't you put it on the old 1.5? call me old fashioned but I like my text-based choosing game, thx for your response.

NReale3370

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can set up configurable so that it behaves and looks just like waninkoko's, i think the default download even comes with a theme for it

oggzee

Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
WiiPower said:
Well, minor clarification, actually FAT support was made by me
wink.gif

But it uses Hermes cIOS and is based on his ehcmodule.
I have also sent it to Hermes for inclusion but it seems he is not interested in it.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
oggzee said:
WiiPower said:
wink.gif

I have also sent it to Hermes for inclusion but it seems he is not interested in it.

Woa. Sorry. I'm thinking that this has to be done in the cIOS itself, so i assumed Hermes did it. So this loads a new module into the cIOS on the fly without the need to install a special cIOS wtih FAT support? Or did it get it wrong(again)?

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
Just to clear up oggzee's position (having gained this insight from Cfg Loader chat)...

oggzee added the FAT support to both the loader and the ehc module that is required for IOS222/223 support. He has released source for Cfg Loader and has released the compiled ehc module, so others do have everything they need to add it to their loaders right now. The source for the new ehc module has not yet been released.

This is only possible with Hermes' IOS as it has the ehc module external to the cIOS. Hermes did have an idea that FAT could be done, but did not specifically code anything to use it. Waninkoko would need to release source or add support for FAT32 drives himself for IOS249 to be compatible.

xflak40 said:
does this mean all games that are played off of a FAT32 drive must use IOS 222 or 223 (ie. 249 doesn't work?)
Yes.

QUOTE(WiiPower @ Nov 6 2009, 08:28 AM) Woa. Sorry. I'm thinking that this has to be done in the cIOS itself, so i assumed Hermes did it. So this loads a new module into the cIOS on the fly without the need to install a special cIOS wtih FAT support? Or did it get it wrong(again)?
You got it right this time (except for your spelling of whoa
tongue.gif
).

madtamski

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
oggzee said:
WiiPower said:
wink.gif

I think it's a GREAT achievement and I'm assuming he just hasn't realised the magnitude of it yet!

I tested about 10 games today on my FAT32 partition and am now in the process of moving all of my games across.

I've always enjoyed using your loader and am happy that you've brought this option to us!

biggrin.gif

*edit* WiiPower, can we expect this format to be supported by NeoGamma soon?

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Not too soon, but i think there's no way around using Hermes cIOS in the future. If only cIOSrev15 was finished, then we would have a dual layer compatible cIOS that does not patch discs on reading. If Hermes cIOS is not at this point yet, it's not better than Waninkokos'. Do not say it does not do any patches on reading unless you know 100% for sure. (an example: cIOSrev13b does at least 3 different patches, 001, 002 and disc in drive check).

D

Deleted-171178

Skizzo said:
beegee7730 said:
'Dude', that post contains the only factual, supported by data, information about WBFS and fragmented files and it refutes the load of BS everyone has been fed up till now. If you want to call that a 'flame war' so be it. I could care less, but just out of curiousity, what exactly do you consider 'productive' in a thread such as this? FFS, there are many 'less productive' posts that you could have singled out if 'productivity' was indeed concerning you.
You could have easily posted that without using "retard", and I am not denying that it is a productive post, merely stating that flame wars arent productive.

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
WiiPower said:
Not too soon, but i think there's no way around using Hermes cIOS in the future. If only cIOSrev15 was finished, then we would have a dual layer compatible cIOS that does not patch discs on reading. If Hermes cIOS is not at this point yet, it's not better than Waninkokos'. Do not say it does not do any patches on reading unless you know 100% for sure. (an example: cIOSrev13b does at least 3 different patches, 001, 002 and disc in drive check).
How does IOS249 fix the insert disc thing without a patch?

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
It's just 3 different di commands to check the drive state. When the usb loader has a disc mounted Waninkoko lets all of them return the values that everything is ok and there's a disc in the drive. That's what the cIOS should have done in the 1st place and is the way to "solve" that problem. So Hermes still doesn't do this?

I want 4 points from a cIOS:
- Dual layer support
- Correct 001 solution like cIOSrev14
- no main.dol patches
- Correct disc in drive check skip on usb

The multi partition stuff and FAT stuff is not really important for me(now) as my points are just absolute basics from where you can start.

Skizzo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
beegee7730 said:
Skizzo said:
beegee7730 said:
You could have easily posted that without using "retard", and I am not denying that it is a productive post, merely stating that flame wars arent productive.
LOL. Listen, when you failed to address a single time the 'retard' referred to me as a dick face, a retard, or anything else, you also lost any credibility you might have thought you had with regards to being someone against 'flame wars'. Why all of a sudden are you sensitive to these things when you completely ignored them previously, when they were being directed at me?
rolleyes.gif
Anyways, get over it...the 'retard' has been shot down and I don't suspect we'll be hearing from him again in this thread.
wink.gif

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Skizzo said:
beegee7730 said:
Skizzo said:
beegee7730 said:
LOL. Listen, when you failed to address a single time the 'retard' referred to me as a dick face, a retard, or anything else, you also lost any credibility you might have thought you had with regards to being someone against 'flame wars'. Why all of a sudden are you sensitive to these things when you completely ignored them previously, when they were being directed at me?
rolleyes.gif
Anyways, get over it...the 'retard' has been shot down and I don't suspect we'll be hearing from him again in this thread.
wink.gif

OH NOZ!!!! I GOT SHOT DOWN ONLINE!!!
ohmy.gif

Quit you're whining & complaining man.
It's really getting old, but I guess if you have some sort of "virtual reputation" thing you feel you need to uphold... then go for it.

Have I been perfect? Nope... but I could care less if you say anything else. And I sir, am done with you and this entire bit of nonsense.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
AllWiidUp said:
name calling, wow, the 2 year old defense... you and the other are obviously here to troll and I'm tired of feeding you. I know what I'm talking about, anyone who can program does as well, you just want to call people names to say you're right.

That was childish, sorry. But the rest has all being a valid response to you're bit of trolling.

QUOTE(AllWiidUp @ Nov 5 2009, 02:20 AM) I guess if you are already stealing games, then stealing unlicensed FAT32 filesystem from microsoft is fine. All devices, using fat32 are supposed to license it, yet another reason to avoid it.

There you've insulted all the developers of projects like Samba, the Linux Kernel, all the BSDs, devkit pro, gnash etc due to your misunderstanding of IP law. You have to get a license to get a copy of the specification from MS and use that. You don't need to get a license if whatever method you use to implement your support of of that spec was backwards engineered for the sake of interoperability.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/ALcfGYLXcjQ?si=ePdtM6b0p5sWaxof