antiaverage

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
beegee7730 said:
nando said:
sonicsleep said:
now we just need exfat or ntfs or ext file system support so we dont have to break them up, then it will be perfect!

no, we will need HFS+ for it to be perfect.
Or EXT4.

No, ZFS is the way to go.

Argue ad infinitum.

This FAT32 support is not revolutionary. It's a branch. Some people will enjoy the perfectly capable FAT32 and live with its limitations. Others will continue to use the perfectly capable WBFS and live with its limitations. I'm sure people will develop NTFS, exFAT, EXT, HFS+, ZFS, or some other file system support and have a good old time.

FAT32 is not a savior. FAT32 is not the only future, it is a branch in one direction of the future, of which there will be others. There is no reason to bash the FAT32 development in this scene, and there is no reason to praise it as the one true solution, either. Use what makes you happy and revel in the diversity we have, it's all wonderful.

People need to stop spreading rumors, as well. WBFS does not lose the space taken by a deleted game. That was an old version, the latest version does not have this issue. Others have said this already, I felt it worth repeating.

WBFS is not a ticking time bomb. It is stable and usable. It is the original way to go, but it is now just an alternative. Alternatives are always a good thing, on some level. Choice is important. You can choose between WBFS or FAT32 and you will get good results either way. It's a personal decision.

Learn the facts, make your choice, and then get back to gaming.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ClockWorK said:
Wiiwu said:
WiiPower said:
It works for you, good for you. But it is trucha signed, you did not get the point i made.

Not truchaed, but scrubbed - yes, scrubbed clean of useless filler.

Umm... Scrubbed games have to be truchaed in order to work, if i'm not mistaken. Because they aren't 1-to-1, they need a fake (trucha) digital signature, and are dependent on the wii having the fake-sign bug.

Whereas a 1-to-1 backup can be played with just a modchip and no soft vulnerabilities on the wii.
As far as I can tell, WiiScrubber has two methods: 00xF and Trucha. From what I gather from the bundled FAQ, the first option doesn't actually sign anything while the second one does. Therefore a 00xF-scrubbed image will work just like a 1:1 image. It's kind of like how games can be changed to be autobootable without having to fakesign anything.

EDIT: Finished reading WiiScrubber's FAQ. 00xF-scrubbed games are not trucha-signed and therefore will work on any console. The next question is if games that are "scrubbed" by installing them to WBFS or converting them to .wbfs format are trucha-signed or not. They certainly are if you copy them and omit the update partition in the process, but what about copying everything but the dummy data?

quepaso

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You guys are ridiculous. FAT32 is the set standard and works with everything. I can put wii games on my hdd, put some hd movies and watch them on my ps3, use the same partition for emulators on the wii and just plain store files on it and use it on any pc out there. Its the best file system there is, and seriously, who cares if the files are split? THEY WORK PERFECTLY! I dont care if its in 100 meg chunks, as long as it works properly. Something so trivial cannot be that maddening for you guys. But i guess when you pirate games just to pirate them, something so small could be such a huge thing in your eyes.

D

Deleted-171178

quepaso said:
You guys are ridiculous. FAT32 is the set standard and works with everything. I can put wii games on my hdd, put some hd movies and watch them on my ps3, use the same partition for emulators on the wii and just plain store files on it and use it on any pc out there. Its the best file system there is, and seriously, who cares if the files are split? THEY WORK PERFECTLY! I dont care if its in 100 meg chunks, as long as it works properly. Something so trivial cannot be that maddening for you guys. But i guess when you pirate games just to pirate them, something so small could be such a huge thing in your eyes.
You obviously don't know about fragmentation.

antiaverage

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
quepaso said:
You guys are ridiculous. FAT32 is the set standard and works with everything.

No, FAT32 is simply widely supported. It is not a set standard. There is no standard filesystem at the moment. This is important in the computing world.
quepaso said:
Its the best file system there is, and seriously, who cares if the files are split? THEY WORK PERFECTLY! I dont care if its in 100 meg chunks, as long as it works properly.

There is years worth of arguing against the thought that FAT32 is a perfect filesystem. It's far from perfect. As you said, it has serious file size limitations, as well as fragmentation issues, etc. Just because it's widely supported doesn't mean it's perfect. Anal sex works on everyone, but a lot of people will argue that it's far from perfect.

QUOTE(quepaso @ Nov 3 2009, 03:35 PM)
Something so trivial cannot be that maddening for you guys.

This isn't maddening, it's silly. FAT32 is just another option. It's perfectly fine. WBFS is now just another option, which is nice. Diversity is the spice of life. There is no reason to bash these FAT32 developments, just as much as there is no reason to praise them as a savior. Relax.

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Skizzo.... take a fucking chill pill dude. No need to be such a dick face about shit. Besides the fact that you don't know wtf you're talking about.

If I have a 2 GB usb drive and install 4 games on it with each being 500 MB and maxing out the entire drive, delete the 2 in the middle freeing up 1 GB of space, then install a new game with a size of .9 GB leaving 100MB left over and want to install another game but can't find one that's 100 MB or less... what happens? You basically lose that space since nothing can be done with it. Now, if your brain can handle it - take the same example and apply it to a 500 GB drive with 300 games on it and then delete 100 or more of them in random places on the partition. You're still telling me that only a couple of blocks will be lost?

And in case you still can't understand - it should be quite obvious that I don't mean a person actually loses space. I mean the space CAN become unusable and useless unless that free space is consolidated. I've had the "Not enough free space" message more than once when there was quite obviously plenty of space, it just wasn't all in one location that was large enough to do the install.

Wiiwu

OP
Trophies
Website
mmm4wii.posterous.com
XP
Country
Hong Kong
FYI, FAT is a internationally recognized standard - you can find it published as ISO/IEC 9293 and ECMA-107 standards.

There is no perfect files system, but FAT is such a universal file-system, its used everywhere, in mp3 players, ipods even in Wii NAND, supported by all OS from Mac to Linux, there is no dispute - FAT is de-facto perfect for removable storage.

So given a choice between WBFS or FAT partition, you will naturally choose FAT to store your games.

WBFS as a partition will fade away like the telegram, in just a few months.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
beegee7730 said:
WBFS will never fade away, its made specifically for USB loaders.

I don't think so. If Hermes manages to add support for .iso and a srubbed iso file format, then wbfs will die eventually.

D

Deleted-171178

I think that loaders will always have WBFS functionality and there will be people who will still use it but there will also be people who use the other versions.

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i predict that once ntfs support is worked out only then wbfs partitions will not be used any more. even though it is a bit of a hassle dealing with wbfs partition, it still offers the ability to not split games. i, like probably many others, would rather put up with wbfs than deal with split up games on a fat partition.

i think that soon we will see a program that has a nice gui for creating the .wbfs files. and then we will see a way to join the split wbfs games once the ntfs stuff has been worked out.

madeirabhoy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
WiiPower said:
beegee7730 said:
WBFS will never fade away, its made specifically for USB loaders.

I don't think so. If Hermes manages to add support for .iso and a srubbed iso file format, then wbfs will die eventually.

im not sure if it ever will.

If i was starting now from scratch, id go with FAT32, coz then i dont need to make a decision on how much of my 1tb is going to be games and how much is going to be films.

However, most of us already have it up and running under wbfs, so there arent really any advantages to fat32 that make it worth copying everything onto another drive (i havent even got anywere to copy them) wiping, and then copying everything back.

Im sure im like a lot of folk, i have tons of games but tons of space left on my drive, so until i have a problem or there becomes a huge benefit to change, its easier to stick with wbfs.

in my case its even more likely for me to stay, as i have a ppc mac, and the tool for converting the files doesnt work on my computer despite being mac compatible, so unless that is fixed at some stage i would have to burn the .iso to disc so i could use cfg loader to copy them onto the drive.

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
There is a reason why virtually no homebrew supports NTFS drives right now, being the apparently poor nature of libntfs. That doesn't mean it won't happen, it just won't happen for a long time. Now is the time to make your choice of how you want to play your games for the next few months.

Both formats have their benefits and flaws and different users will have different needs as demonstrated in this thread.

If you already have a WBFS partition and don't mind about the unused space on your drive that can only be used for Wii games, then there's no real reason to switch. If you do want that space back, you should make the switch if you are able.

Most new people should probably go with FAT32. Most drives these days ship in that format so it means your drive will likely just work. The only real negative you have is fragmentation, and that can be countered with the occasional defrag every now and then. It removes the hardest and most prone to error stage of the USB Loader install process, which is a massive bonus.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

sonicsleep

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
This FAT32 system is perfect... Except for one thing, and that is the files being split up.

Next step is solving that. Why isn't an ext file system from linux available yet? Isn't that all open source and stuff? having an ext file system would end all this nonsense.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
sonicsleep said:
This FAT32 system is perfect... Except for one thing, and that is the files being split up.

Next step is solving that. Why isn't an ext file system from linux available yet? Isn't that all open source and stuff? having an ext file system would end all this nonsense.

I'd agree , but most peeps have no clue about non MS filesystems, and I don't think there are any free drivers for Windows, so that would end up being just like WBFS for most. As much as I hate to say it, NTFS is probably the best choice for the future, but no-one can/will get on with that until oggzee releases the code for the EHCI module.Why re-invent the wheel if you don't have to. I actually sort of agree he has no need to respect the GPL with Waninkokos code as Wanin doesn't respect it himself, or thinks it's basically BSD or something, but Hermes doesn't seem to be like that.

Wiiwu

OP
Trophies
Website
mmm4wii.posterous.com
XP
Country
Hong Kong
I think discussing which is the better file-system is a moot point in our usage context. FAT has been around over 30 years, its specifications are well documented and understood by developers. Again its ideal here because all major OS supports it, allowing easy data exchange. Plug in a FAT drive into any Mac/Linux/Win it'll just work and you are free to use any of the countless tools available to manage it.

On the other hand WBFS is a very new filesystem created to solve the problem of getting game loading from a USB drive. There is no clear specification or documentation, no one has a solid understanding of it. Developers create and abandon their WBFS manager projects. Users lose games from data corruption that no tools can fix because there are none! WBFS partition is unsupported and to rely on it is like beta-testing it but with real game data. We should move away from it asap to avoid future grief.

pedrohell

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Luxembourg
Greetings,
I have a doubt: Is it realy safe to load a NTSC game on a PAL Wii with the Cfg usb-Loader v46?
I don't want to risk a brick.
Thanks

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: never had one before that, and never had one since