Sony
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
QyJN4.jpg

Click to accept
I’ve been playing some Final Fantasy XIV recently, and was surprised to be confronted by a strange message. It appears every time I start the game, and reminds me not to forget about my friends, my school, or my work. It’s nice to know that SquareEnix care, but do they care just a little bit too much?
Let’s not forget that Final Fantasy XIV also limits the amount of time you can play each week, presumably to stop us from playing too much. It seems as though SquareEnix have our best interests at heart, but at the same time it’s all a little bit creepy. As a games company, are my relationships with my friends, school or work really any of their business? Is it acceptable for a game I’ve paid for to berate me for playing it?[/p]
icon11.gif
PC Gamerrr.

The limits on the game look annoying. 8 hours until exp and drops go down? For the whole week?
PSO2 > FFXIV

tijntje_7

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It's great that they did this.
But the limit is slightly too low :/
8 Hours in a week?
That's slightly more than one hour a day...
Change it to 15 and everybody would be happy, and that would actually help ^^

Square enix ftw anyway
smile.gif

Gullwing

homo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tijntje_7 said:
It's great that they did this.
But the limit is slightly too low :/
8 Hours in a week?
That's slightly more than one hour a day...
Change it to 15 and everybody would be happy, and that would actually help ^^

Square enix ftw anyway
smile.gif
That's why I love 'em... 8 hours a week? WHAT? 15 would be fine.. but only 8?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Addiction to MMOs is a pretty serious problem.

I'm not just talking the people that hang themselves or lose their job or starve their kids because of it, I'm talking about friends I've lost. People I no longer have contact with because I don't play whatever MMO they play now. People that have dropped out of activities or sports because of online gaming. People whose grades suffered because they stayed up until 4 AM playing MMOs instead of studying. People who lost relationships because they lost track of time in an MMO.

Many ex-WoW players will tell you about it.

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
A certain degree of balancing makes sense in online multiplayer, as this system allows casual players to keep up. If this were a single-player game, such a feature would suck balls.

DeadLocked

Bi-Winning.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I don't agree that they can limit the amount of time you play.
Say you're ill one week with the flu for example
You're gonna want to play for more than an hour a day possibly? You can't see your friends, work, see family etc.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Are you hiding something Suare Enix?

This is shown every time you turn on encouraging you not to play the game. The game limits how much you can play (acceptable in a Beta, not in a Retail release you pay monthly for) to stop you seeing its flaws.

Will never play FFXIV mainly because I think the only true FFs are on the SNES and PS1 now... Any MMO should be a spin-off and not a numbered title in the series (imagine if WoW was called Warcraft 4 then they continued releasing Warcraft games in the old style after that)

pichon64

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uruguay
If a dear friend of yours got lost by cause of this game, you should thanks Square Enix for helping you getting rid of a retard. There's no evil radio, TV, rock or videogame. There's idiocy and a big black hole where a strong personality should be. Use the time to ask yourself why on earth were you hanging around with him/her.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
pichon64 said:
If a dear friend of yours got lost by cause of this game, you should thanks Square Enix for helping you getting rid of a retard. There's no evil radio, TV, rock or videogame. There's idiocy and a big black hole where a strong personality should be. Use the time to ask yourself why on earth were you hanging around with him/her.
You're treading in dangerous territory.

Zantheo

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
How is that even "creepy"?

I've seen tons of other MMOs with similar notifications. Yes, it's a notification, not a warning...

Jebus...
closedeyes.gif

prowler

Sony
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Zantheo said:
How is that even "creepy"?

I've seen tons of other MMOs with similar notifications. Yes, it's a notification, not a warning...

Jebus...
closedeyes.gif
Please do not forget your family, your friends, your school, or your work
Complain about it to PC Gamer if you think its not creepy.

Theraima

I own this desert, bitches!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
QUOTE said:
Addiction to MMOs is a pretty serious problem.

I'm not just talking the people that hang themselves or lose their job or starve their kids because of it, I'm talking about friends I've lost. People I no longer have contact with because I don't play whatever MMO they play now. People that have dropped out of activities or sports because of online gaming. People whose grades suffered because they stayed up until 4 AM playing MMOs instead of studying. People who lost relationships because they lost track of time in an MMO.

Many ex-WoW players will tell you about it.
Yeah, addiction can be serious. I for one have paused WoW many many times but I still play sometimes. I wouldnt call myself an addict
tongue.gif
But my grades dont really suffer from WoW, in fact, it kinda helps.

narutofan777

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
the limit is crap. If someone is gonna play a game for 10 or so hours its because they want to. They got choices, but square enix ain't letting no one make the choice for themselves. Most people who play MMORPG (not on a web browser or the free ones) are 14+. these players ain't kids anymore.

thieves like us

chaos personified
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't FF XIV a pay-per-month MMO just like world of warcraft?

if so, that's a pretty sneaky way of making it look like they care, when in actuality, they are just hoping that you spend a minimum amount of time per month so that you can continue to pay the monthly connection surcharges before you complete all of the quests and/or ultimately become bored with the game.

injected11

Crescent Fresh™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Apparently nobody is reading the part where it just decreases the amount of exp you earn. It doesn't make you unable to play, it takes the advantage away from those who would do nothing but grind, powerlevel and twink, and gives them a reason to keep their social life alive. This means casual players are much more likely to keep playing since they won't be vastly underpowered just because they have responsibilities.

Edit: Wasn't aware they charge a monthly subscription fee... my above statement applies to a single-payment game. Pairing their policy with a fee seems like a sneaky way to squeeze out extra $ under the guise of concern for the players.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    they wouldn't be called french fries at that point
    +1