Final Fantasy XIV offers PC gamers a creepy warning

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by prowler, Sep 28, 2010.

1. prowler
    OP

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    [​IMG]
    Click to accept
    I’ve been playing some Final Fantasy XIV recently, and was surprised to be confronted by a strange message. It appears every time I start the game, and reminds me not to forget about my friends, my school, or my work. It’s nice to know that SquareEnix care, but do they care just a little bit too much?
    Let’s not forget that Final Fantasy XIV also limits the amount of time you can play each week, presumably to stop us from playing too much. It seems as though SquareEnix have our best interests at heart, but at the same time it’s all a little bit creepy. As a games company, are my relationships with my friends, school or work really any of their business? Is it acceptable for a game I’ve paid for to berate me for playing it?[/p][​IMG] PC Gamerrr.

The limits on the game look annoying. 8 hours until exp and drops go down? For the whole week?
    PSO2 > FFXIV

2. Goli

Member Goli RPG

Chile
    Just wait and see how PSO2 limits you too [​IMG].

3. tijntje_7

Member tijntje_7 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    It's great that they did this.
    But the limit is slightly too low :/
    8 Hours in a week?
    That's slightly more than one hour a day...
    Change it to 15 and everybody would be happy, and that would actually help ^^

Square enix ftw anyway [​IMG]

4. Gullwing

Member Gullwing Synesthete

Greece
    That's why I love 'em... 8 hours a week? WHAT? 15 would be fine.. but only 8?

5. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Addiction to MMOs is a pretty serious problem.

I'm not just talking the people that hang themselves or lose their job or starve their kids because of it, I'm talking about friends I've lost. People I no longer have contact with because I don't play whatever MMO they play now. People that have dropped out of activities or sports because of online gaming. People whose grades suffered because they stayed up until 4 AM playing MMOs instead of studying. People who lost relationships because they lost track of time in an MMO.

Many ex-WoW players will tell you about it.

6. TheDestroyer

Member TheDestroyer GBAtemp's Official Keyblade Master™

United States
    I do agree with that warning. [​IMG] Too bad I couldn't afford monthly subscription, no money lol

7. Fat D

Member Fat D GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    A certain degree of balancing makes sense in online multiplayer, as this system allows casual players to keep up. If this were a single-player game, such a feature would suck balls.

8. DeadLocked

Member DeadLocked Bi-Winning.

United Kingdom
    I don't agree that they can limit the amount of time you play.
    Say you're ill one week with the flu for example
    You're gonna want to play for more than an hour a day possibly? You can't see your friends, work, see family etc.

9. Scott-105

Member Scott-105 Bow to me. Please?

Canada
    Ha, am I the only one who thinks this is epic?

10. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    Are you hiding something Suare Enix?

This is shown every time you turn on encouraging you not to play the game. The game limits how much you can play (acceptable in a Beta, not in a Retail release you pay monthly for) to stop you seeing its flaws.

Will never play FFXIV mainly because I think the only true FFs are on the SNES and PS1 now... Any MMO should be a spin-off and not a numbered title in the series (imagine if WoW was called Warcraft 4 then they continued releasing Warcraft games in the old style after that)

11. pichon64

Member pichon64 GBAtemp Fan

Uruguay
    If a dear friend of yours got lost by cause of this game, you should thanks Square Enix for helping you getting rid of a retard. There's no evil radio, TV, rock or videogame. There's idiocy and a big black hole where a strong personality should be. Use the time to ask yourself why on earth were you hanging around with him/her.

12. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    You're treading in dangerous territory.

13. Zantheo

Member Zantheo GBAtemp Regular

Norway
    How is that even "creepy"?

I've seen tons of other MMOs with similar notifications. Yes, it's a notification, not a warning...

Jebus... [​IMG]

14. prowler
    OP

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    Please do not forget your family, your friends, your school, or your work
    Complain about it to PC Gamer if you think its not creepy.

15. Theraima

Member Theraima I own this desert, bitches!

Finland
    Yeah, addiction can be serious. I for one have paused WoW many many times but I still play sometimes. I wouldnt call myself an addict [​IMG] But my grades dont really suffer from WoW, in fact, it kinda helps.

16. narutofan777

Member narutofan777 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Afghanistan
    the limit is crap. If someone is gonna play a game for 10 or so hours its because they want to. They got choices, but square enix ain't letting no one make the choice for themselves. Most people who play MMORPG (not on a web browser or the free ones) are 14+. these players ain't kids anymore.

17. thieves like us

Member thieves like us chaos personified

United States
    correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't FF XIV a pay-per-month MMO just like world of warcraft?

if so, that's a pretty sneaky way of making it look like they care, when in actuality, they are just hoping that you spend a minimum amount of time per month so that you can continue to pay the monthly connection surcharges before you complete all of the quests and/or ultimately become bored with the game.

18. DemonicChocobo

Member DemonicChocobo GBAtemp Regular

United States
  19. Lushay

Member Lushay GBAtemp Regular

United States
    8 hours a week? and a monthly cost? i don't think they have a right to do that for someone who pays every month.

20. injected11

Member injected11 Crescent Fresh™

United States
    Apparently nobody is reading the part where it just decreases the amount of exp you earn. It doesn't make you unable to play, it takes the advantage away from those who would do nothing but grind, powerlevel and twink, and gives them a reason to keep their social life alive. This means casual players are much more likely to keep playing since they won't be vastly underpowered just because they have responsibilities.

Edit: Wasn't aware they charge a monthly subscription fee... my above statement applies to a single-payment game. Pairing their policy with a fee seems like a sneaky way to squeeze out extra $ under the guise of concern for the players.