Final Fantasy VII remake thread

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I've already got my torch and fork ready - if they mess up with the battle system I'll be buying the ticket to Tokyo in a blink.

FF7 is perfect as it is in most of its aspects, messing with it would be an heresy.

If they were to use "Final Fantasy 12"'s (sorry, but that's not a Final Fantasy game to me) battle system, I'm not sure what I'd end up doing. Probably burn down my PC in rage or something.

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I've already got my torch and fork ready - if they mess up with the battle system I'll be buying the ticket to Tokyo in a blink..
i completely agree. i've been wanting to play a modern RPG with an ATB battle system like 7,8,9 used for months now. if they make it another battle system like ff12/13/15 i'm gonna be very annoyed. it's not that they're bad FF's or even bad battle systems. it's just that i want to have full control over every character in my party like i did in 7,8,9. i'm sick of only controlling one character and having the rest on AI.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I've already got my torch and fork ready - if they mess up with the battle system I'll be buying the ticket to Tokyo in a blink.

FF7 is perfect as it is in most of its aspects, messing with it would be an heresy.

If they were to use "Final Fantasy 12"'s (sorry, but that's not a Final Fantasy game to me) battle system, I'm not sure what I'd end up doing. Probably burn down my PC in rage or something.
Totally agree, and count me in :)
i completely agree. i've been wanting to play a modern RPG with an ATB battle system like 7,8,9 used for months now. if they make it another battle system like ff12/13/15 i'm gonna be very annoyed. it's not that they're bad FF's or even bad battle systems. it's just that i want to have full control over every character in my party like i did in 7,8,9. i'm sick of only controlling one character and having the rest on AI.
If you haven't played Blue Dragon (on 360) yet, give it a try, it's not ATB but it's the game most reminiscent of the old Final Fantasy games in recent times. Awesome soundtrack (Nobuo Uematsu), job system with ability slots similar to Bravely Default, and honestly the best RPG I have played since the PSX. It's pretty much Final Fantasy under a different name, and I loved it. In fact, I feel like replaying it now :)

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
Like I said, the battle system was fairly okay compared to everything else in the 13 trilogy. I mean, the fact that the battle system is the one passable thing about the games speaks quite a bit for how they are as a whole, but either way, I don't foresee at least the initial 13 battle system coming back. At the same time, the 13-3 battle system is made for a single character, so they can't exactly adapt that either. The only one that might really work is if the XV system is good, and they choose to adapt that.

I agree, XV's system is really shaping up to be quite something. The ability to switch characters in the middle of battle would be a good idea, to implement some nice combos. We can only play as noctis in the demo, but I would think you'd be able to switch characters.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
I agree, XV's system is really shaping up to be quite something. The ability to switch characters in the middle of battle would be a good idea, to implement some nice combos. We can only play as noctis in the demo, but I would think you'd be able to switch characters.
The demo is definitely early beta material at best, so I'd guess that the demo is lacking some features the final battle system will have. I actually haven't had the chance to play the XV demo myself, but just what I've seen makes me think the XV system might be the only truly good fit for the VII remake if they can pull off the party system right.

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
The demo is definitely early beta material at best, so I'd guess that the demo is lacking some features the final battle system will have. I actually haven't had the chance to play the XV demo myself, but just what I've seen makes me think the XV system might be the only truly good fit for the VII remake if they can pull off the party system right.

I've played most of it and it does seem to fit, especially since FFVII is set as one of the most 'modern' in terms of its industrial, dank design. Some of the fights could be intense, fighting monsters in the wilds and close-quarters in the streets of midgar. I personally hope they don't keep a turn based system just for nostalgia. XV's gameplay really is that exciting.

Hungry Friend

It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This certainly won't be a day 1 purchase for me, that's for sure. I need to actually see footage of the full game and hear some average user reviews.(because gaming "journalists" are all paid off hacks)

This is just coming from my ass but I'd say it's like 60% they'll fuck this up royally and piss everyone off and 40% that this will actually be a cool remake. It's very difficult to be optimistic about modern day SE, especially since FF started going to shit after IX, although one could argue that X & XII were pretty good. I personally didn't like X though because it was the prototype they used to make 13 imo. I also thought the characters were ridiculous and I found the ending funny because I HATED Tidus+X-2 was a shit game with a good battle system. XII was a good game but not really FF. However, it was better than X imo.

IX was the last classic FF game and I agree with those that said the series has gone to shit ever since Sakaguchi left and formed Mistwalker. I'm afraid they're gonna change too much, censor the base game, and add in way too much nonsense from the side games and ruin the overall experience. I also disagree with those who want it to be an action game like XV. I don't see any problem with my suggestion about making it like Chrono Trigger, eliminating random battles/separate screens, adding combination attacks and generally speeding up & polishing the ATB system as much as possible. Turn based does not = archaic; it's simply another style of gameplay that a lot of people, namely old-school FF fans from the NES-PS1 days enjoy a great deal when it's done right. Yes I know ATB isn't full turn-based but you get my point.

I'm mostly suggesting CT-style because there's no need for random battles and the enemy should be visible on the field, but also because that game is FUN. CT's take on active time battle still hasn't been surpassed, imo. Take that, refine it, make it more elaborate and that should satisfy older people like me and I think newer fans would enjoy it quite a bit as well.

Last edited by Hungry Friend,

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
This is just coming from my ass but I'd say it's like 60% 99.9999% they'll fuck this up royally and piss everyone off and 40% 0.0001% that this will actually be a cool remake.
I'm gonna go out on a limb here but I think anything short of 200 continuous hours of orgasmic perfection will be deemed blasphemy. It's all-or-nothing, but on a far more extreme scale, simply because this is one of the more iconic ones which fans have been craving for years. And of course, with great powers massive hype comes great responsibility heightened expectations.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eh, I know they'll have the whole "yeah, you don't actually control anyone but the main character" thing going for them, but I'm not looking forward to it.

I really enjoyed the Tales games, or at least tales of symphonia, but that was a completely new experience. That was tales of symphonia, and it gave that game a unique feel. When recreating a game like this, you're trying to keep that same feel of the old and update it. Doing a "yeah, that was fun, but now for something completely different!" makes me disgruntled.

I don't care about them changing things. We want them to change things. I'm just curious if they understand what it was that made people really enjoy the game despite its many many flaws. Was it the flaws that made it charming? Was it the newness of the "modern" departure from the fantasy settings of previous games? Was it the coolness of the move to 3d?

I'm gonna guess they're just going to make everything super dreary and over-the-top. Kind of how DC does with their movies that no one loves (except batman movies). I think we'd love a Marvel approach, but I doubt that's going to happen. Basically, I suspect it's going to be FFXV, but just loaded with a redone FF7 scenario steeped in angst.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I just tried FF7 on PSX again, damn that french translation .... and someone was paid to do that? I didn't remember that was that bad. Almost all sentences don't make any sense, it's like they translated word for word, without playing the game, not knowing the context.
The tutorial for running "press X to run" is translated to "push X to start".
A lot of english words can have different translation based on context, and they always picked the wrong one. it's a pain to play in French.

Hopefully, new games have a lot better localization teams and the remake will be better.

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
So you are going to play a game you desperately want but you are going to pirate it if the game has DLCs or microtransactions you will never use. What a hypocrite.
I miss the good ol' days when boycotting actually something meant not consuming a product or indulging in a service.

Hungry Friend

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you are going to play a game you desperately want but you are going to pirate it if the game has DLCs or microtransactions you will never use. What a hypocrite.

Hypothetically if I were to pirate it, I wouldn't be giving them any money now would I? If it's just cosmetic stuff that has no impact on the story I'll simply not buy the DLC, but if it's story-based DLC that actually means something I'll either boycott it entirely or download it. I don't see an issue with that, but I should have specified what my limit was earlier. I hate DLC period, but if it's nonsensical stuff like costumes then I'll just ignore it.

As long as I'm not giving SE any money I'm still technically boycotting their game, even if I download it. Financially speaking, they're getting nothing so calm down. If it's just superficial stuff though and not meaningful content(assuming the remake is decent) I'll buy it and boycott the DLC. I also don't see the point of trying to start an argument with me just for the sake of arguing. You have no financial argument to make, and if I'm going to feel guilty about something it's certainly not gonna be downloading a game that I would otherwise boycott; the financial effect is the same.

I don't see XII as an FF game either, but imo it's still better than X, X-2, VIII or XIII especially. Vaan and Penelo have no reaaon to exist and the story kinda fizzles out in the end, but otherwise I think it's pretty solid and was a ballsy move on SE's part. I just hate random fucking chests and I especially hate that we never got the international version. Not cool.

However, I do think FF7 needs that ATB system, although as I said before I wouldn't be opposed to getting rid of separate battle screens and making it CT-style. If it's not ATB or turn based though, I'll be disappointed. If they use 13's battle system I'll lose interest in it completely despite it being turn-based. I simply did not enjoy that system at all. Leaving it as is would be cool but SE's gonna fuck with it and we both know it :(

Last edited by Hungry Friend,

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Day one patches are not a bad thing lol. The game has to leave the hands of the devs sometime. Consoles with internet connections make working on the game after the golden disk is sent off to the printers a reality, allowing for finishing touches or polishing.

I am worried about this. Part of the charm is the horrid graphics and otherwise bland/bleak visuals. Remaking this could break what you all know and love about the original. I remain in a realm of suspended skepticism till it drops.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
But the game should be stable enough and complete enough for offline players.
not everyone are downloading updates, DLC, psn access etc.
possible update shouldn't be an excuse to release incomplete story/menus/etc.

Hungry Friend

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You must be 12 or something. Typical mind of le entitled gamer.

The whole "entitled" argument has always been a stupid argument and I don't consider it "entitled" to want a complete game that doesn't try to nickel and dime me. People only use that argument(more like a catchphrase) when they don't actually have a legitimate argument. You're just trolling. Back when I was a kid, console games, especially high profile ones, were released complete most of the time, and if they were buggy pieces of shit, the companies that made said games were mocked and had to earn peoples' trust back. If you enjoy paying full price for incomplete buggy games with day 1 DLC and microtransactions, that's your problem. I believe I am entitled to a full game(not the glorified demos we get today) if I pay full price, and you should too.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The whole "entitled" argument has always been a stupid argument and I don't consider it "entitled" to want a complete game that doesn't try to nickel and dime me. People only use that argument(more like a catchphrase) when they don't actually have a legitimate argument. You're just trolling. Back when I was a kid, console games, especially high profile ones, were released complete most of the time, and if they were buggy pieces of shit, the companies that made said games were mocked and had to earn peoples' trust back. If you enjoy paying full price for incomplete buggy games with day 1 DLC and microtransactions, that's your problem. I believe I am entitled to a full game(not the glorified demos we get today) if I pay full price, and you should too.
But games are not made of oxygen or water. You can live without them.
And also, playing them even by pirating ends in a certain way giving the game publicity, even if it is in a word of mouth way.
So it is a way less effective way of boycotting it than ignoring it altogether.
That said I feel this is going way to OT.

Reactions: porkiewpyne

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually I hope they remake it for the Vita in the same style that FF3 and 4 got when they were released on the DS :P

(actually, jokes aside, where is my FF5 and 6 in the chibi style for 3DS)

Reactions: the_randomizer

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, The Doom NES cartridges, a few batches were made. One was given to AVGN as...