Hacking Final Fantasy IV - Battles Freeze

DeZaStR

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having some difficulty with Final Fantasy IV. I've already been playing it for a while with no issues, but I'm now running to major issues. Whenever I enter a battle, both screens freeze solid white. I've already played through about 2hrs of the main quest, and haven't had a single issue up to this point. But now, I can't continue because it freezes every time. Any ideas?

My setup is below:

NDS Lite
Acekard 2.1
4gb Kingston MicroSD (class 4)
AKAIO.1.4.1.PROPER_Repack_5-4-09

I'm a newb to all of this, only got my Acekard two days ago. Your help will be greatly appreciated.

DeZaStR

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just an added note...

I just reloaded a different save file and it worked just fine. However, after returning to the area it froze before, I ran into the same issue again. For those familiar with the story, it's hanging right after Leviathan attacks and Cecil goes to Mysidia. Any monster attacks from that point on results in white screen freezes.

Da-Bomb1

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Try reformatting the card with the official SD formatter.

We totally need a sticky on the top of every forum that says, "BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION, REFORMAT THE CARD WITH THIS." Assuming people actually read it, it'd probably reduce the number of questions asked by a factor of about ten.

DeZaStR

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks Da-Bomb1, I'll give it a shot if I run into it again. For now, I've put a bandage on the problem by enabling a cheat that allows me to walk around without getting random battles. It seems that only the battles I encounter in the area I was in are causing me issues (for now), as I've been in many more battles in different areas since without issue.

DeZaStR

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey again guys...

Well, I've tried all suggested methods and nothing has worked so far. I have formatted the SD card with Panasonic's SDFormatter that is linked to in the sticky. I've also tried alternate DMA modes (standard, older, and non-DMA), and made sure all patches/cheats/etc were disabled.

Any other suggestions?

I've done some more testing, and it appears that this problem is limited to certain areas of the map (for those familiar, areas around Mysidia, Agart, and Tower of Zot). I've fought plenty of battles elsewhere with no issues at all. I can still use the cheat to avoid battles, but I would rather not because I would be missing the opportunity for higher experience battles to raise levels easier.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

DeZaStR

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am currently running the latest version of Akaio... AKAIO.1.4.1.PROPER_Repack_5-4-09. I just tried downgrading to Akaio 1.2, but am still encountering the exact same issue.

Other thoughts?

aralerm

Trophies
XP
Country
HI I am having the same issue as well. I am playing the NDS version Final fantasy IV on a NDS using flashcart M3 real and after 4-5 hours of playing I am starting to experience the same issues. I am playing with cheats and the problems started the first time once I got the crystal and I was supposed to give it to Kain and free Rosa... I started playing the game again putting the cheats to a minimum (just high MP and HP and save everywhere and 2x speed) and I am encountering the same issue alll over again, the battles freeze. I tried to disable all patches and to play without cheats but it aint work.
I have not tried to reformat the card, use another rom or change the micro sd card but I feel that the issue will persist. I can try to do as you did and enable the cheat for no ramdon encounters but then I cannot level up. It sucks and so far it is the only game that has given me problems.
I think it has definitively something to do with the game itself and playing it with cheats.
Arale
moogle.gif

aralerm

Trophies
XP
Country
HI Zero 383 I know how to patch roms (used the tutorial on this website) with an ARM 7 file. I can try to do this also for the ff IV rom and see or try the US version but I have no idea if it will work.
For patched I suppose you mean the method I describe above? What I do not get is: why if it is not patched the game plays ok for such a long time and then freezes? thanks anyway for the suggestion I will try the patched version tonight
Arale

Leonidas

Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
Not sure if this will help, but I fixed this problem on my R4 SDHC by disabling soft-reset. For some reason, it was causing the white screen thing. And no, you don't need any special patches to run this game.

DeZaStR

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just wanted to bump this old topic of mine to re-open discussion for any additional suggestions. I have tried all suggestions listed in this thread so far, but still run into the pesky double white screen issue. I would really appreciate any assistance anyone can provide.

Edit: And btw...I just loaded Akaio 1.8.1 on my Acekard 2.1 and still have the exact same issue.

Normmatt

Former AKAIO Programmer
Trophies
Website
normmatt.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
DeZaStR said:
I just wanted to bump this old topic of mine to re-open discussion for any additional suggestions. I have tried all suggestions listed in this thread so far, but still run into the pesky double white screen issue. I would really appreciate any assistance anyone can provide.

Edit: And btw...I just loaded Akaio 1.8.1 on my Acekard 2.1 and still have the exact same issue.
Post a save file and instructions on how to reproduce and it will be looked at.

DeZaStR

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Normmatt said:
Post a save file and instructions on how to reproduce and it will be looked at.
Sure, here's the save file: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DY4XVIH1

To reproduce the error, simply load the most recent save slot (top one) in the file above, and walk until attacked. It starts to load the attack sequence, but instead both screens freeze white. Oddly enough, this is limited to only a few areas in the game, and up to a point just before this save, I hadn't encountered it yet.

Other sites with users experiencing this problem say it's a bad/glitched ROM. I've tried a couple of different versions, but unless the locations I'm getting them from are just all using the same file, the error still persists for me.

Thanks for the assistance.

robbywu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sorry to bump an old thread but has anyone found a solution to this issue? i'm having the same thing happen and from what i gather its the "Zu" that causes this. any help would be appreciated

acekard 2.1
akaio 1.8.6a

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they...