Filesize of recorded video game footage - DXTory/Adobe Premiere Pro

darkangel5000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi there, fellow tempers, I hope someone here can help me. ;_;

Recently I've been into capturing videogames via DXTory (+h264 encoding), yet I find the filesize too big to comfortably edit the videos using Adobe Premiere.
As for an example I've recorded this scene from Bioshock Infinite:
(Warning: Major spoilers ahead! youtube.com/watch?v=u1-Do9RyE0w&feature=youtu.be)

The original recorded Video was 52.1GB, which I first had to convert to something smaller using Audials 9, which, after a night of converting, gave me a 1.1GB file with no visible artifacts. That size is kinda okay for 20 minutes of Full HD footage and it could be edited in Premiere with no problems. But when I wanted to export the video with Premiere, I had to choose between a ridiculous large file size again or a major quality drop - now since my upload is far from being perfect (0.6-0.9Mbps) I chose the quality drop, as you can clearly see in the video above (textures look washed out, the edges don't look as "crisp" as before, ...).

So what can I do to:
a) decrease the file size of DXTory videos? (max. 2GB per 10 Minutes)
b) increase quality while retaining a small filesize (~500mb per 10 minutes) in Adobe Premiere?

As always any help is appreciated :3

darkangel5000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@Luckkill4u
Thanks but I already use x264vfw. And MEgui doesn't seem to work, for... whatever reason:
---------------------------
Fatal error
MeGUI encountered a fatal error and may not be able to proceed. Reason: Es wurde versucht, durch 0 (null) zu teilen.*
OK

*Divide by zero error encountered.

@Rydian:
Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Handbrake is just a GUI for encoding things in h.264, but it gives easy access to a quality (RF) slider and such, with lower being less quality loss. Generally going to 25 reduces the filesize enough without a bit hit on the quality. Also try reducing the framerate. Youtube only displays at ~30FPS, so you might as well reduce the video file to 30FPS to begin with so you have less data that you need to upload.

If you tweak the settings carefully you should be able to get it down to a gig or less for an hour depending on the content, just take note that high-resolution recordings are much heavier than low-resolution ones because of the amount of data. An image that's 1024x1024 is four times as much data as a 512x512 one because it's about area, not a single side. It's not uncommon at all for people who do 1080P lets' play videos and such on youtube to have to leave uploads going overnight and actually time the videos to be published at specific dates due to the long upload times.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Looks like a Famicom handheld