Gaming File transfer help

R2DJ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So I just bought a Samsung N110 and I'm planning to replace my aging laptop. When I bought it, I'm already aware that it doesn't have an optical drive, for the sake of portability. My problem is how can I transfer my files. The usual way that I do is to use DVD discs but that method is now obsolete. Can anyone suggest me any methods?

What's in my mind right now is communication within a network but whatever I do, I can't set up a network.

Another one would be an online file storage but which is the best one?

The final idea would be the method used by Macbook Air: remote access of another computer's CD drive. But is there such thing for Windows?
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

ConJ

The Toker
Trophies
Website
xat.com
XP
Country
1. Make sure both are connected to wifi.

2. Then look for the folder/s you want to share. Right click, and goto Properties.

3. Enable Sharing for Everyone

4. Goto the computer you want the files on, and look for My Network Places. Click the View workgroup computers icon on the left, you should see the folders you shared.

5. Drag and Drop

If you cant see the folders you shared - Goto My Network Places, then the Tools bar at the top, and click Folder Options. And tick the box that says - Automatically search for network folders and printers.

Hope this helps.
smile.gif

R2DJ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
ConJ said:
2. Then look for the folder/s you want to share. Right click, and goto Properties.
4. Goto the computer you want the files on, and look for My Network Places. Click the View workgroup computers icon on the left, you should see the folders you shared.
5. Drag and Drop

If you cant see the folders you shared - Goto My Network Places, then the Tools bar at the top, and click Folder Options. And tick the box that says - Automatically search for network folders and printers.

Hope this helps.
smile.gif
I'll give that a go. I'm still setting up my new laptop. Thanks!
grog.gif

R2DJ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
ConJ said:

5. Drag and Drop

Hope this helps.
smile.gif
All steps were followed but it still doesn't work. Bear in mind that I don't know how to setup a network (within Windows at least).

While I'm at it, a really thorough step-by-step guide will be appreciated.

R2DJ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
playallday said:
Why not use a USB drive? That's the way I always do it.
With files worth 16GB? Firstly, not practical and second, it may ruin my USB stick.

That's why I'm looking for a solution where I can transfer files in at least one go.

notnarb

Not narbing it up
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
run the setup home network wizard on both computers. If that doesn't work, setup an FTP server on one computer (google it) and open up a command prompt on the same computer and type in "ipconfig". type that IP address into a web browser on the second computer and you should be able to transfer your files easily and quickly.

Wabsta

you fight like a dairy farmer
Trophies
Website
www.wabsta.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Get a cheap crosscable (Lancable/network cable, however you want to call it).
Plug on end in the old laptop, other one in the new.

Go to Control Panel>Network Connections (or something like that, the one where you see all your network cards(wireless, nonewireless, hamachi, that stuff).

Rightmousebutton>Properties

double click TCP/IP Protocol thing

On laptop 1: make the manual IP 192.168.0.1
On laptop 2: make the manual IP 192.168.0.2

Voila, you have a working network connection.
Go to \\192.168.0.2 on laptop1, and you will be in the sharedfolderstuff of laptop2.

Eventually, you can turn off other network adapters if it doesn't work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.