FFTA2 Redesigned

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Raffel, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Raffel
    OP

Raffel Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 1, 2015
    The main goal of Final Fantasy Tactics A2 Redesigned is to make the game more difficult than before, and remplace useless and game-breaking things. I have also given completely new skillsets to some jobs, like Tinker, Assassin (now renamed Shadow) or Seer (now renamed Sorcerer).

[​IMG]

Main Changes

- All enemy levels scale with the party. (If the level of your party is greater than the predefined level of the enemy unit)
    - Level Cap is now at 50. (Because the damage formula, some things like spells become very weak at high levels)
    - Every ability and item have been revised.
    - I added a lot of new abilities that replaces the old useless or game-breaking skills.
    - Items have more secundary effects.
    - All growths and stats have been rebalanced. Now every job is usable.
    - Monsters and Bosses now they are much more stronger than before.
    - The most of the races now they have one special ability, that only one in your team can use it. (if you choose human special skill, you cannot use viera special skill.)
    - Enemies can't revive their allies so revive skills have been removed. Adelle's Elpe can revive one Ally with the cost of her life.
    - OHKO skills, and Petrify skills have been removed for player use.
    - Some game-breaking support / reaction abilities have been removed for player use. (Dual Wield, Strike Back, Blood Price...)

Generic Jobs Skillsets

Warning: Spoilers inside!

Generic Jobs Stat Growths

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Yg6-dph8T84GPF4qzzIa-0Mqnf2LJTDLPQh-8KaL2gw/edit?usp=sharing

Instructions to patch

- Download a fresh Final Fantasy Tactics A2 rom and my patch.
    - Download Delta Patcher here: http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/704/
    - Open Delta Patcher and select your original file, and FFTA2 Redesigned patch.
    - Press Apply Patch, and now you can play!

Notes

- All text and animations changes have been done.
    - The patch is designed to play on hard mode.
    - The battle mechanics is a bit inspired in "Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis".
    - All criticism are accepted.
    - Special thanks to Lennart and Darthatron from FFH community.
    - To see more changes, download the game!
    - You can play it on Android with Drastic DS Emulator, the game runs perfectly!

Attached Files:

Last edited by Raffel, Sep 11, 2015

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    An interesting list of changes there, it sounds like you were heading towards a hard mode hack so that probably helps a few of those become less controversial. I did not put much time in with this game (mainly the GBA one, and all the various other tactics games on that platform) and on the DS I went more in for the hoshigami stuff, and had I wanted I would have probably busted out the PS1 emulation on the PSP instead.
    I was considering having a go the other day though and now I wonder if I should go this hack right off the bat.

Likewise if you want to write up a short summary (or a long one if you want) of some the hacking that went into it then that sounds like it would be good to read. I imagine there was a bit of assembly work involved in this and we do not see so many writeups of such things.

3. AceWarhead

AceWarhead "Must Construct Additional Pylons"

Apr 9, 2011
    United States
    Was the original really badly balanced?

4. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Gambia, The
    can you make a version that still has the supposed gamebreaking skills/abilities you removed?

also, is the item/shop system still the same as before?
    one of the most annoying things about this game was how few weapons with skills you actually got for a good half of the game.
    and by the time you finally get more weapons with skills to learn for all your classes, the game's about over...

Last edited by Clydefrosch, Sep 2, 2015
  5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Playing it going in cold but otherwise reasonably versed in tactics games was serviceable but not great, and by the time people analysed the stat growth patterns and even thought about min-maxing it meant there were few jobs/items/paths really worth considering which is not great in a gameplay style that touts as much supposed freedom as this. So yeah it was not 90's adventure game/system shock/"restart the game" style broken unless you actively tried to do so but at the same time it is not going to be winning a spot in the longer term challenge world, and given the strength of the other GBA and DS tactics games libraries, to say nothing of what you could pull off with a PSP, then few took it as an example of Square Enix at their best. This is why we have ROM hacking though.

6. leafeon34

leafeon34 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 30, 2014
    This looks awesome. I loved Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, but never got into this one. It looks like its worth another shot now. I think that removing the game breaking skills was the right thing to do, but I can't help but feel a little bit dissapointed that I can't bulldoze my very own path of least resistance :gun:

Edit

You might wanna consider proofreading your post

- Items have more secondary effects.

- Most of the races now have one special ability, that only one member of your team can use. (if you choose human special skill, you cannot use viera special skill.)

Last edited by leafeon34, Sep 3, 2015
  7. anhminh

anhminh Pirate since 2010

Sep 30, 2010
    Do you plan on making normal or easier mode?
    I'm interesting but I don't think I can finish the game at hard mode, expressly without those "game breaking" skill, and you even buff up boss and monster? I don't think too many people can be that hardcore.

8. Clydefrosch

Jan 2, 2009
    Gambia, The
    hmpf... i read a bit more about the patched game and I'm not sure if its for me. Playing these games, I already suffer from ridiculously bad luck with missing a good 1/5 attacks at 99acc. i honestly don't know if, in addition to that, i need to start the game with simple monsters being able to ohko me just like that.

BORTZ likes this.
  9. BORTZ

BORTZ "Another stunning Van Gogh"

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    I have played this one of the 3 probably the least. I have beaten FFTA twice and completed it once (would have done it the first time but I gave away some important mission items. If you have ever played the original FFT for PS1/PSP then you know how hard and punishing it was. That game forced you to use tactics and correctly. If you didnt, you died.

I am a little worried about making these games harder, although I certainly appreciate the notion of an actual mechanics hack and not just a numbers multiplier. The reason FFT was accepted for its difficulty was because it was built around learning to play the game with those really hard parameters in mind. The Tactics Advance games seem to be built with more of a focus on accessibility toward the player. The story and atmosphere certainly arent geared toward a punishing experience. Anyways I wont know unless I play your game but I am with the few who posted above me, this game gives me enough trouble even with the laws disabled, because they are BULLSHIT.

10. Raffel
    OP

Raffel Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 1, 2015
    It was really badly balanced and very easy.
    The game has already a normal mode, where enemies will hit less hard.

11. ferofax

ferofax End of the World

Jan 26, 2009
    Philippines
    "No dual-wield" automatically demoted this tactics game to "every other game" for me. Dual Wield is one my FAVORITE mechanics in the Final Fantasy series - for any game in the series - and having that removed because reasons, sucks hairy balls. Whenever I play any Final Fantasy title, I instinctively look for classes that lets you dual-wield, no matter the restrictions.

Restrictions or nerfing (like 50% damage reduction for the 2nd weapon) would have been far more palatable than a straight up removal.

Way to ruin the game. :/

12. Stingart

Stingart GBAtemp Regular

Feb 2, 2008
    Netherlands
    Thank you for creating this. I like it a lot.

There is 1 minor thing that I really wish was in the game and it's just like ferofax said: Dual Wield. It's very fun to have characters Dual Wielding. I understand that it's a broken or overpowered skill. Raffel, I would like to ask you to rebalance Dual Wielding in a way you see it working.

Great job on the patch. I'm grateful that you released this to the public.

13. Raffel
    OP

Raffel Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 1, 2015
    Yes, Dual Wield would be nice if each hit will do 75% of damage. If I find the right locations I will do an ASM hack for it.

Stingart likes this.
  14. metastase

metastase Member

Newcomer
    Jun 25, 2013
    United States
    Great! So my 2nd reason (out of 2) for not touching this game is fixed! I have a question about something I find much more aggravating though...

Do you know if vanilla FFTA2 cheat codes works on this mod?

Because my number 1 reason for not playing this game was LAWS, so I need to use the ar code to bypass them. Unless it's possible to incorporate this on the hack, after all there isn't a single person in the world who even likes this stupid mechanic anyways.

15. Raffel
    OP

Raffel Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 1, 2015
    The most of vanilla codes should work for this game.

16. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    I must admit I do prefer my game rules to be more subtly integrated -- "this is a stealth mission, theoretically there is nothing stopping you from picking up an unsuppressed weapon but if you fire it then watch everybody know where you are and it becomes far harder" works for me far more than "*fade to black* you fired an unsuppressed weapon, mission failed". There is also serious scope for debating the implementation of them in the missions here, however laws as a concept is something I can get behind.

Raffel likes this.
  17. Raffel
    OP

Raffel Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 1, 2015
    I've upload a new update of the patch, with some bugs fixed.

18. Clydefrosch

Jan 2, 2009
    Gambia, The
    what did you fix?

Also, does sharpen sword really work?
    skill description says damage + raising attack and critical rate
    skill effect says "Damage + steal gil"

but having used it quite a bit now, it doesn't seem to be doing either, its just a normal attack?

and tips on cyanwolf mission? it had such a low rank, but I'm pretty much losing two characters before I can even move. confusion then takes care of the rest usually

Last edited by Clydefrosch, Sep 14, 2015
  19. Raffel
    OP

Raffel Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 1, 2015
    Text and ability effects bugs.
    I've tested sharpen Sword and it works right... are you sure?
    Use two white mages and kill the wolfs one by one. Take care protecting your back.

20. azurekaito15

azurekaito15 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 28, 2014
    Malaysia
    This for the US version right?

21. olshrimpeyes

olshrimpeyes Your question is bad and you should feel bad

Jul 30, 2015
    United States
    GNU/Somewhere
    Wait how the hell did I miss this? FFTA is one my favorite series ever. This absolutely amazing. How is this with flashcarts?