prowler

Sony
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Archaemic said:
Having almost completed my research, I have put together two patches for WotL, for unstretching the screen and speeding up the game. These are only tested on the US version of the game and likely will not work on any other region. Report back to me if they do! They're untested on the PSN version of the game, but will hopefully work on it, too. As these are only preliminary patches, you might expect some bugs. However, I've found that in general, they work pretty well. The patching utility will require a PSP with custom firmware, and additional instructions are included. However, you won't need ISOs or any messy patching utilities on your computer. Everything is done when the game is run on the PSP!
Download & Source

This is from last month but I didn't see it posted here.

Reactions: 1 person

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't really know how i feel about this- obviously the work itself is great and Archaemic is a legend....but having played WotL relatively recently the amount of lag isn't really a deal breaker, and the effort he must be putting in is probably greater than the gain.

Also i own the EU UMD version so perhaps it's just bah humbug...

Ergo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a "massive-over exaggeration" because he felt it was unbearable? You seem to be (repeatedly) mistaking your opinion as fact or that your opinion overrides someone else's--why is that, exactly?

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Perhaps to you, but not for others.

Anyone who's ever owned a PSP has to get used to waiting for things to load....it's common in many of it's games even with ISO's. To say that the lag in the PSP version of WotL is greater in extent to the delays present in other games, and in fact longer to such an extent that it prevents you playing a game which is superior in all other aspects, is of course an over-exaggeration. If we were comparing lags on a system like the DS where games generally don't have any, or if the lag was actually noticeable to the extent that anyone who plays the game (irrespective of whether they played the original) had a problem with it, then i'd agree that it was potentially bad. But every time the lag is mentioned it's always the vocal minority who claim that despite all the other improvements a tiny added delay is enough to prevent them playing WotL.The lag doesn't FORCE anyone to stick to the PSX version. You decide that you're nitpicking this game in the PSP's library and you CHOOSE to use the PSX version.....it's an over-exaggeration to imply that you'd be FORCED to play the PSX version and i stand by that comment.

I'm not going to deny that the lag exists, nor that it'd be nice to have it removed, but to say that it breaks the game is crazy. You can criticise me all you want but the vocal minority who doom WotL because the lag makes it unplayable are seldom taken to task. It just doesn't make it unplayable...it adds a tiny bit of delay, which is a MASSIVE amount less noticeable than delay in some other FF games (eg. FFVIII)

badnat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone who's ever owned a PSP has to get used to waiting for things to load....it's common in many of it's games even with ISO's.

I'm not going to deny that the lag exists, nor that it'd be nice to have it removed, but to say that it breaks the game is crazy. You can criticise me all you want but the vocal minority who doom WotL because the lag makes it unplayable are seldom taken to task. It just doesn't make it unplayable...it adds a tiny bit of delay, which is a MASSIVE amount less noticeable than delay in some other FF games (eg. FFVIII)

I found it pretty unbearable. The game is already incredibly slow paced. The fact that all the special effects run in slow motion in REMAKE of a 10+ year old game is quite unacceptable in my book. Especially when its superiority to the original is its selling point... it palls the experience for one who likes to know they're experiencing the best version of any given thing.

Also, there's a big difference between waiting on LOAD TIMES and having to deal with sensless slow motion in GAMEPLAY.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
This game lagged? I never noticed when I played the game. From start to finish.

Exactly...and that's why to make such claims as "lag makes WotL unplayable" is hugely unfair. It is an exaggeration to say that they ruin the game, whilst it's opinion that they detract from the overall experience. This has always been one of those issues where the voices of the detractors are loudest and it's something that is extremely one sided. Most people who play the game fresh aren't even aware of any lag problems, indicating that it's hardly the game breaker many make out.

And Load Times are very much comparable....time for different areas to load as you run between locales/screens, excessive time for random battles to load, time to get to menu screens etc. Load is very much comparable to lag in this argument.

It's nice that there's now a fix, but it doesn't totally redefine the experience. Despite WotL's "lag" it was still the best non-modded version as the script changes (and to a certain extent bonus content) improved the game hugely.

Kuragari Ryo

Demon Fox
Trophies
The House Within the Reflection, Ryo Manor
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
The spell/ability animation lag was odd, but it's not too much of a bother. I can see how it would ruin it for a fan of the original, though.
I wasted many a hour in the PS1 original, and the first time seeing the PSP's slowdown deal made me go 'wat', but you get used to it. This patch is nice however~ I'll be trying it later on. :3

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country

Exactly...and that's why to make such claims as "lag makes WotL unplayable" is hugely unfair. It is an exaggeration to say that they ruin the game, whilst it's opinion that they detract from the overall experience. This has always been one of those issues where the voices of the detractors are loudest and it's something that is extremely one sided. Most people who play the game fresh aren't even aware of any lag problems, indicating that it's hardly the game breaker many make out.

And Load Times are very much comparable....time for different areas to load as you run between locales/screens, excessive time for random battles to load, time to get to menu screens etc. Load is very much comparable to lag in this argument.

It's nice that there's now a fix, but it doesn't totally redefine the experience. Despite WotL's "lag" it was still the best non-modded version as the script changes (and to a certain extent bonus content) improved the game hugely.

Though couldn't you say that about almost any slowdown? After all, I have played several Gameboy games (Pokemon, Saga series, and the two Ultima games) at 50-70% normal speed with no sound and managed to get used to that though it was very annoying at first. As long as there are no cutscenes without subtitles it shouldn't matter even if it is only running at half speed (or even quarter speed).

badnat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Some people watch 4:3 video streched to 16:9 without being bothered or knowing anything is wrong. This kind of ignorant obtuseness is not something to be proud of, lol.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: i mean, unless they're like morrigan, but i kinda doubt it