Hardware Faster SD card worthwhile?

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know that the 3ds itself throttles SD and MicroSD cards to about half the speed of a Class-1. I currently have a Class-1.
However, I occasionally end up putting a ton of data onto said card from my computer. Would it be worthwhile for me to get a faster-transfer card so that the crapload of data I transfer from pc to SD takes less time?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can only take advantage of an SD card with a higher class speed if paired to a computer with an SD slot reader that's fast enough to keep up reading & writing to it.

If your computer's fairly new with a USB 3.0+ blue port but the built-in SD/MMC reader is stupid slow, get a SD-to-USB adapter like this one.
Other bottlenecks may apply like the hard drive and CPU.

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can only take advantage of an SD card with a higher class speed if paired to a computer with an SD slot reader that's fast enough to keep up reading & writing to it.

If your computer's fairly new with a USB 3.0+ blue port but the built-in SD/MMC reader is stupid slow, get a SD-to-USB adapter like this one.
Other bottlenecks may apply like the hard drive and CPU.
My computer... isn't fairly new.
Got it a couple few years ago.
How do I check the max speed of the card reader?

Last edited by Plasmaster09,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My computer... isn't fairly new.
Got it a couple few years ago.
How do I check the max speed of the card reader?
CrystalDiskMark. This is somewhat similiar to the Internet Speedtest by Ookla but for the SD card, USB flash drive, or any computer data storage devices. Any number of factors can affect your results: SD card, SD-to-USB adapter, built-in SD card slot reader, CPU, RAM, hard drive/SSD, operating system, background programs eating up resource pie, etc.

Max numbers will not mean much. What you'll be checking for is consistent numbers. This is kinda like measuring the flow rate of pure water going through a straight, factory fresh pipe in a laboratory setting versus that same pipe used in actual industrial application where it has scale built up over the years from not so clean water.

Reactions: Alexander1970

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Watching the fallout series it is pretty decent