Hacking FAQ: What CFW is best for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted-379826

Hey crystal! Just had a question, and before you are anyone say "Oh then you shouldn't use it" I want to learn which is why I am asking this question. So let me get to it: Pretty much I want to use Corbenik over luma, it has all the same patches (optional of course) and you get more power over it. But I wanted to ask what makes it so different? I honestly don't really get what else you can do with it! If you can explain that to me I'd love it. And while I'm here not sure if I should ask here but whatever, I'm trying to use version 0.20 and when copying all files over to the sd card, it has a problem copying over "emunand.bin" located in the corbenik folder. You think you can help with that? (Note: I did not delete luma's files yet)
EDIT: I figured out why, for some reason the libexc folder on my sd card is corrupt which makes both that on corbenik undeletable. Any idea how I can remove that corrupt folder? (windows 10 by the way and I know you can format but is that necessary?)

Last edited by ,

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Hey crystal! Just had a question, and before you are anyone say "Oh then you shouldn't use it" I want to learn which is why I am asking this question. So let me get to it: Pretty much I want to use Corbenik over luma, it has all the same patches (optional of course) and you get more power over it. But I wanted to ask what makes it so different? I honestly don't really get what else you can do with it! If you can explain that to me I'd love it. And while I'm here not sure if I should ask here but whatever, I'm trying to use version 0.20 and when copying all files over to the sd card, it has a problem copying over "emunand.bin" located in the corbenik folder. You think you can help with that? (Note: I did not delete luma's files yet)
EDIT: I figured out why, for some reason the libexc folder on my sd card is corrupt which makes both that on corbenik undeletable. Any idea how I can remove that corrupt folder? (windows 10 by the way and I know you can format but is that necessary?)
A lot of what makes it different is the approuch and level of control you get with Corbenik. Unlike Luma3DS, you get complete control over what patches you want running, down to even if you want to run FIRM protection (which you should be running it aways.) You also get to see every single part of the CFW, nothing is tucked away here or there, you see every piece down to the NATIVE. Basically, the difference is the level of control and exposure you get between them. Luma3DS has all the same files, but they are tucked away and also active by default, where Corbenik hides nothing and you control what you want active.
As well Corbenik comes with this amazing bootloader that is also able to be customized with dimming and color choices, ect, example here's mine
screenshot.png
And chainloading is a lot easier with Corbenik. Just copy your A9LH apps into the folder called "main" and they show up in your chainload menu. Nothing more to it.
If your SD card is correct, don't try to force it to work. Back everything up and use emunand9 to reformat it.

D

Deleted-379826

A lot of what makes it different is the approuch and level of control you get with Corbenik. Unlike Luma3DS, you get complete control over what patches you want running, down to even if you want to run FIRM protection (which you should be running it aways.) You also get to see every single part of the CFW, nothing is tucked away here or there, you see every piece down to the NATIVE. Basically, the difference is the level of control and exposure you get between them. Luma3DS has all the same files, but they are tucked away and also active by default, where Corbenik hides nothing and you control what you want active.
As well Corbenik comes with this amazing bootloader that is also able to be customized with dimming and color choices, ect, example here's mine
View attachment 57748
And chainloading is a lot easier with Corbenik. Just copy your A9LH apps into the folder called "main" and they show up in your chainload menu. Nothing more to it.
If your SD card is correct, don't try to force it to work. Back everything up and use emunand9 to reformat it.
Awesome thanks!

Reactions: The Catboy
D

Deleted-379826

View attachment 57748
Crystal one more question I'm not sure how to get the cetk and firm files for my o3ds. Since it doesn't come with it I'm not able to run the executables to retrieve them from NUS

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Crystal one more question I'm not sure how to get the cetk and firm files for my o3ds. Since it doesn't come with it I'm not able to run the executables to retrieve them from NUS
I got mine through a pre-compiled nightly build of CakesFW on that iso site.
But you can also get it from his official github
https://github.com/chaoskagami/corbenik

Reactions: gnmmarechal

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It's alright, figured it out now but thanks for the reply. Got skeith up and running! Now just one last question, how do I boot into emunand? (I have 2)
Go into options at the top and it it's in those settings. You also have the choice to boot into over 10 emuNANDS.

Reactions: Deleted-379826
D

Deleted-379826

Thanks for everything crystal, loving corbenik. Although for some reason it's taking forever to save my config!
EDIT: Ah there we go

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Oh one laast question, sorry to bother you but how do I boot into that menu again. I was looking at someone elses post for what I should check and after saving the config it does not autoboot that menu. Any idea?

Last edited by ,

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Thanks for everything crystal, loving corbenik. Although for some reason it's taking forever to save my config!
EDIT: Ah there we go

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Oh one laast question, sorry to bother you but how do I boot into that menu again. I was looking at someone elses post for what I should check and after saving the config it does not autoboot that menu. Any idea?
It actually saves your config as soon as you tell it to, it just logs everything you do on the bottom screen and keeps that log there so you know what you have done.
Hold R well booting.

Last edited by The Catboy,
Reactions: Deleted-379826

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Another cfw just came out, puma33ds. Its a luma3ds fork that is based off nightlys and you get a lot more control over patches. You can find it HERE
I saw and I am testing now. I will add it to the list once it's done being researched.

Last edited by The Catboy,

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Thread update! I added a section called "Graveyard" and removed the A9LH/Menuhax separate sections. Why? Because I already mention what *hax they boot from in their descriptions, so it's redundant to have an entire section for them.
The graveyard isn't meant to be a bad thing as I do mention that they are still usable, but the CFW's in there appear to either be no longer active, dead, or went into private development, so their support is questionable. Some CFW's like SaltFW are meant to be LTS, so it won't be added. And others like CakesFW is known to have long periods of time between updates, so it's safe for now.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly I always recommend Luma as the go-to CFW for most users. I however just recently started to use corbenik instead. It's a fantastic CFW for power-users. I currently use it to launch between my standard sysNAND, an "OFW" emuNAND (running absolutely no patches), and a Dev firmware emuNAND.
Dear, before I start to install LUMA3ds, i need to update my arm9loaderhax to v2 as per following guides:

https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Updating-arm9loaderhax

how can i be sure that i'm on arm9loaderhax v1 or v2? thanks and regards
There really is no way to tell at this point.

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Dear, before I start to install LUMA3ds, i need to update my arm9loaderhax to v2 as per following guides:

https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Updating-arm9loaderhax

how can i be sure that i'm on arm9loaderhax v1 or v2? thanks and regards
I actually no idea how to tell the two apart. So I would just update anyways as there's no harm in updating. You can't downgrade though, but you can safely re-install A9LH v2, even if you already have it installed.
Honestly I always recommend Luma as the go-to CFW for most users. I however just recently started to use corbenik instead. It's a fantastic CFW for power-users. I currently use it to launch between my standard sysNAND, an "OFW" emuNAND (running absolutely no patches), and a Dev firmware emuNAND.

There really is no way to tell at this point.
I also would recommenced Luma3DS to noobies or casuals or even SaltFW, as they both are very simple, easy to use, and easy to set up. But I would heavily recommend Corbenik to the more adventurous types.
Personally, I use Corbenik as my main and only CFW. I went from running 6 different CFW's, running different ones every week. To just using Corbenik as my only CFW and bootloader. Of course, I still have the others aside for testing purposes, but I hardly use them anything more than that.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I also would recommenced Luma3DS to noobies or casuals or even SaltFW, as they both are very simple, easy to use, and easy to set up. But I would heavily recommend Corbenik to the more adventurous types.
Personally, I use Corbenik as my main and only CFW. I went from running 6 different CFW's, running different ones every week. To just using Corbenik as my only CFW and bootloader. Of course, I still have the others aside for testing purposes, but I hardly use them anything more than that.
For me corbenik does take a little longer to boot than Luma, but the amount of options I can customize is far better for my purposes, which is mainly the ability to disable all patches to launch OFW emuNAND for exploit testing on top of having most patches enabled for my sysNAND.

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
For me corbenik does take a little longer to boot than Luma, but the amount of options I can customize is far better for my purposes, which is mainly the ability to disable all patches to launch OFW emuNAND for exploit testing on top of having most patches enabled for my sysNAND.
I actually had the opposite effect. Try backing up your card, then reformatting with emuNAND9.
I found doing that greatly shortened my boot time.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually had the opposite effect. Try backing up your card, then reformatting with emuNAND9.
I found doing that greatly shortened my boot time.
emuNAND boots fine and quick (no patches), it's mostly just sysNAND with the time it takes for the patches to execute. I may try formatting again, but I freshly formatted when I went to install 2 redNANDs to my SD. And it really isn't much longer than Luma, I'd say only a second more at most, but it's only that much when I change settings in Corbenik.
I also like their chainloader where I don't have to assign buttons and remember which button does what. Not as fast to boot payloads but so much easier to boot the correct one, which actually saves me time in the end.

Reactions: The Catboy

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
emuNAND boots fine and quick (no patches), it's mostly just sysNAND with the time it takes for the patches to execute. I may try formatting again, but I freshly formatted when I went to install 2 redNANDs to my SD. And it really isn't much longer than Luma, I'd say only a second more at most, but it's only that much when I change settings in Corbenik.
I also like their chainloader where I don't have to assign buttons and remember which button does what. Not as fast to boot payloads but so much easier to boot the correct one, which actually saves me time in the end.
I guess lack of emuNANDs might make a difference. Mine just boots straight into the sysNAND.
That bootloader though, I was damn happy to be able to delete ctrbootmanager9. I have to say that is best chainloader I've ever used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://www.keepretro.com/products/miyoo-a30