ROM Hack FAQ: PokeSav

Bloodloss

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, Pokesav only works on illegitimate roms? There's no way to use it on an official copy? Let me get this straight, I need:

- A flash card (preferably M3 series)
- Pokemon Diamond or Pearl rom on it
- A USB thing to connect it to my PC
- Pokesav

Correct?

Zinic

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So, Pokesav only works on illegitimate roms? There's no way to use it on an official copy? Let me get this straight, I need:

- A flash card (preferably M3 series)
- Pokemon Diamond or Pearl rom on it
- A USB thing to connect it to my PC
- Pokesav

Correct?

Correct. And saying it will not work on legimate roms is not entirely true, as there are ways to make it work. I've heard of people backing up their save on a cheat device of some sort, converting that save, using pokesav, reverting the save and then putting it back in the game successfully. How you'd go about doing this I have no idea though.

For the M3 series, you'll need a flash memory card, and a card reader for your PC to put stuff on it. There are other Flashcarts that work that are also compatible with PokeSav, and it is possible to convert saves to make it work with most, if not all, of the flash carts on the market. You can find plenty of information and reviews about the different flash carts out there here on GBATemp.

(I use a M3 Perfect MicroSD with a PassKey3, and find it an excellent choice as long as you don't mind having to patch your roms first.)

Bloodloss

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, so all the non-legit Pokemon people trade on the GTS and whatnot are all made by people who go through the trouble of getting them on a legit copy? That's surprising

Anyway, thanks.

Kaiyumi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Um, sorry for the newbie-ish attitude. But...

...it won't even let me load the SAV file I have. I'm using an emulator... the No$gba Emulator. >.O And...I dunno why, I just try opening the SAV file (and it says it's an .sav too)! but then POKESAV tells me it's the wrong file type...

...um, why?

BakuFunn

Flameproof.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
sorry if im bothering something impossible but...

Will this app ever be converted to java so macs and linux can use it or to .app for macs?
it sounds interesting but unfortunatly i will never be able to use it unless it is in mac .app or in java .jar

If anybody can do this out of their sweat and pain then much thanks, i really appericiate it, along with all the other mac/linux useres out there!

sheldon3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if I'm posting in the wrong place or anything but for Croagunk, it has two abilities: Anticipation and Dry Skin. How do I make the pokesav let me use those two abilities cause I can only choose 1..

chango

Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
Hmm, here's a question I haven't seen asked.

I'm using the english translation. A lot of words and letters have a | between them which is supposed to be a space, but once saved it becomes a ?. Example: BOX|1 (In Pokesav) once saved will be BOX?1 in the game. So if I delete that character and put a space, it has a larger gap than it is supposed to have! Such a minor complaint, but I need a fix, anyone have the answer?

Zinic

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

I'm using the english translation.  A lot of words and letters have a | between them which is supposed to be a space, but once saved it becomes a ?.  Example: BOX|1 (In Pokesav) once saved will be BOX?1 in the game.  So if I delete that character and put a space, it has a larger gap than it is supposed to have!  Such a minor complaint, but I need a fix, anyone have the answer?

Simple answer: Don't use Space.

Um, sorry for the newbie-ish attitude. But...

...it won't even let me load the SAV file I have. I'm using an emulator... the No$gba Emulator. >.O And...I dunno why, I just try opening the SAV file (and it says it's an .sav too)! but then POKESAV tells me it's the wrong file type...

...um, why?

While I did say that PokeSav would work for emulators, I did so simply assuming it would. I don't know what .sav format No$GBA uses, but from what I've heard it's not actually fully compatible with NDS games (You can save and load just fine, but to any other prog aside from the emulator itself just sees it as gibberish).

Unfortunally, PokeSav isn't being updated anymore and as such I doubt there'll ever be support for No$GBAs save format.

sorry if im bothering something impossible but...

Will this app ever be converted to java so macs and linux can use it or to .app for macs?
it sounds interesting but unfortunatly i will never be able to use it unless it is in mac .app or in java .jar

If anybody can do this out of their sweat and pain then much thanks, i really appericiate it, along with all the other mac/linux useres out there!

Developement for PokeSav has stopped and there'll be no new versions that I know of. Unfortunally, you're stuck with having to emulate the prog using wine, or you'll have to recode it yourself, or find someone who will.

Oh, and Java sucks.

QUOTE(sheldon3 @ May 10 2007, 09:17 PM)
I don't know if I'm posting in the wrong place or anything but for Croagunk, it has two abilities: Anticipation and Dry Skin. How do I make the pokesav let me use those two abilities cause I can only choose 1..

You aren't really posting in the wrong place, but this question seems more directed at the game itself rather than the editor. Some pokemon have two possible abilities, but all pokemon only have one at a time. If there's multiple abilities for a pokemon, it means that the game will choose one or the other when it generates the data for that specific pokemon. As such, you can only choose one.

*phew* Think I caught up with everything now.

Deaddy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

I'm using the english translation. A lot of words and letters have a | between them which is supposed to be a space, but once saved it becomes a ?. Example: BOX|1 (In Pokesav) once saved will be BOX?1 in the game. So if I delete that character and put a space, it has a larger gap than it is supposed to have! Such a minor complaint, but I need a fix, anyone have the answer?
I encountered this problem, but I didn't realize that adding a new space left a larger gap. This is no big deal, I replaced the marks with spaces and I didn't even notice a difference.

Kaiyumi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
While I did say that PokeSav would work for emulators, I did so simply assuming it would. I don't know what .sav format No$GBA uses, but from what I've heard it's not actually fully compatible with NDS games (You can save and load just fine, but to any other prog aside from the emulator itself just sees it as gibberish).

Unfortunally, PokeSav isn't being updated anymore and as such I doubt there'll ever be support for No$GBAs save format.

Ah, thank you very much for pointing that out. ^^

...uhm, in that case, would I be able to obtain another DS emulator that is compatible with Pokesav? Could you point me in the direction of any/recommend me to any in particular? : )

Xenophobe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Actually, you can use No$GBA with Pokesav, just need some tinkering. My friend's tried this and it works, here's a guide:

QUOTE said:
Okay, I figured this out.

1. Go to your NO$GBA BATTERY folder and copy your save file somewhere else in order to back it up in case you mess up.

2. Open NO$GBA.ini in notepad, scroll down to the line:
SAV/SNA File Format == Compressed
and change it to:
SAV/SNA File Format == Uncompressed

3. Open No$GBA (make sure your save type in NO$GBA is FLASH 512 kbytes) and continue your game. Save the game, and then quit NO$GBA. Check the size of your save file in the BATTERY folder. It should be over 500kb.

3. Use the follow program to convert your save file, it will remove the first 76 bytes of your save:
Freeware - No$GBA > VBA Battery Converter | [email protected]
To use it, click the "Configure" button and set the directory to where your new big save file is. In the empty text box named "New .sav File" enter a name for the new file you will make. Now select your Pokemon save and press convert file. It will create a new save file with the name you typed in.

4. Download the Pokemon save editor:
RapidShare: 1-Click Webhosting
Open your new converted save file (the one you made in step 3) with it, and when you are done cheating your ass off, click save. Now take the new save file you just cheated with, and put it in your NO$GBA save folder. Now name it the same name of your original pokemon save, so that NO$GBA will load it when you play the game. That's all. Now I shall enjoy my 99 of every TM, and I had a sex change just for the hell of it.

Lastly, once you use your hacked save in NO$GBA and save, you will not be able to hack it again right away. Once you have used your hacked save in NO$GBA and saved, you must use the NO$GBA>VBA converter, then hack.

(From http://forums.ngemu.com/no-gba/88632-how-h...tructions.html)

What you're basically doing is using the uncompressed No$GBA saves instead of the default compressed ones and then lopping off a 76byte No$GBA header so it's like a normal NDS save.

This is the link to the No$GBA save converter.

deity307

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Does PokeSav work with the DS-Xtreme? I tried to load a .sav file from my DS-X, but I got an error message. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

BoneMonkey

The cheese stash is a lie.
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

I'm using the english translation. A lot of words and letters have a | between them which is supposed to be a space, but once saved it becomes a ?. Example: BOX|1 (In Pokesav) once saved will be BOX?1 in the game. So if I delete that character and put a space, it has a larger gap than it is supposed to have! Such a minor complaint, but I need a fix, anyone have the answer?

I encountered this problem, but I didn't realize that adding a new space left a larger gap. This is no big deal, I replaced the marks with spaces and I didn't even notice a difference.

you can change the name of the box in game

i changed it to BOX 1 and its back to normal

Kaiyumi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
3. Use the follow program to convert your save file, it will remove the first 76 bytes of your save:
Freeware - No$GBA > VBA Battery Converter | [email protected]
To use it, click the "Configure" button and set the directory to where your new big save file is. In the empty text box named "New .sav File" enter a name for the new file you will make. Now select your Pokemon save and press convert file. It will create a new save file with the name you typed in.

Ooh, thanks much. ^^ I got all the way up to this part...

...I downloaded the VBA converter, and when I started it up and hit 'configure,' it gave me an error message. Like some file is missing or whatnot. And it wouldn't let me open my save file in the VBA converter....

...am I missing something?

Xenophobe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It works perfectly for me. Maybe you're missing a VB runtime? Just google the file that you're missing and download it and put it in the same directory as the converter. Failing that, you could also hexedit the save yourself, just remove the first 76bytes of your No$GBA save (the exact same data as in header.inf)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hey Kennyboy, have you found any decent mini Pc for around $200-250? Fast enough to play most Pc games.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd say save another $100 anythtwith 8core upgradeable ram I'm thinking about ordering the acemagic still
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, I haven't turn on my OG Xbox one in ages, just did now and ofcourse, 32GB update required, gonna take forever.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Edit: nevermind, I forgot I up-ed my internet speed, only 30 min remaining.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Will a mobo with a M2ssd slot work without a M2ssd installed, using a sata ssd temporary?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    As long as sata just point bios to boot to it as main drive
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Is that a compilation of you?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    M.2 is more of a luxury you can still boot from Ide if you really wanted to
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I mean as long as the motherboard still has sata ports unless you're still in celeron days
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    wut
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh it has Sata 3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It should still have a Bootable option in bios select drive
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    whats sata?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How you were born
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sata is the type of interface/cable connection of hard drives/disc drives for Pc.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't tell them about old bank drives may explode
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Mini pcs in the 70's
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    128kbs of storage
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do I connect this to my emachine
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The Tattooist of Auschwitz is pretty good so far