Hacking Suggestion FAO Scene/TX/Devs - can we settle on an RCM chainload standard asap?

hippy dave

BBMB
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just thinking, as people are designing their own dongles and internal modchips, and TX are releasing their dongle with the intention they've now stated of allowing custom payloads to be started, etc, it would be a really good time to set a standard for the format and filename of a payload that can be chainloaded from the SD card.

That way, a primary payload that you send via USB could be as straightforward as setting up the necessary stuff to load said chainloaded payload from SD and run it, or the primary payload could still be as complex as the menu-driven ones that are out already or TX's touchscreen interface, but still allow chainloading as an option either from the menu or by holding a button/combo on startup.

Yeah everyone's already thought about this stuff and it's going to happen, I'm not claiming to have clever new ideas, I'm just saying let's standardise it now, that way people who are building dongles and especially internal modchips have a useful future-proof strategy to work with. If I did decide to put a chip inside my Switch I wouldn't want to have to worry about reflashing it for future releases.

Reactions: weatMod and peteruk

hippy dave

BBMB
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think we're all just waiting for the CFW to come out since everyone will be developing their stuff from it and not just from making specific payloads.
Yeah but not everybody's waiting, people are making dongles and modchips and ipl variations with different features as we speak. And once the CFW does come out, there'll be a way to chainload it from the TX dongle or any other starting point, so why not decide on that way now?

However amazing that sounds, you still need PC/dongle for every warmboot.
Not if you build or buy an internal modchip.

Last edited by hippy dave,

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Yeah but not everybody's waiting, people are making dongles and modchips and ipl variations with different features as we speak. And once the CFW does come out, there'll be a way to chainload it from the TX dongle or any other starting point, so why not decide on that way now?

Not if you build or buy an internal modchip.
I consider that a dongle, because it does the same thing as dongle.

Last edited by Kubas_inko,

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
I guess you have the right to make up your own non-standard word definitions, but don't expect people to take them seriously.
If you don't want a hardmod that's fair enough, but it achieves the goal of booting without having to connect your console to anything external.
It does the same as a dongle. You can remove it from the Switch and use it as a dongle. It is a dongle, you just put it inside the switch :P

CTCaer

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I'm just thinking, as people are designing their own dongles and internal modchips, and TX are releasing their dongle with the intention they've now stated of allowing custom payloads to be started, etc, it would be a really good time to set a standard for the format and filename of a payload that can be chainloaded from the SD card.

That way, a primary payload that you send via USB could be as straightforward as setting up the necessary stuff to load said chainloaded payload from SD and run it, or the primary payload could still be as complex as the menu-driven ones that are out already or TX's touchscreen interface, but still allow chainloading as an option either from the menu or by holding a button/combo on startup.

Yeah everyone's already thought about this stuff and it's going to happen, I'm not claiming to have clever new ideas, I'm just saying let's standardise it now, that way people who are building dongles and especially internal modchips have a useful future-proof strategy to work with. If I did decide to put a chip inside my Switch I wouldn't want to have to worry about reflashing it for future releases.

Actually, this is what Atmosphere does.
It loads a payload, which loads another bigger "payload" from sd card, which loads another payload (which is used for emunand support or just sysnand) and ofc it loads the main atmosphere binaries and Horizon OS.
Sounds familiar? Like TX? Guess what..

Last edited by CTCaer,

hippy dave

BBMB
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There should never be a "standard" in the hacking community. That's called conformity. That's not what being open is about.
I mean, that sounds like a cool thing to say, but in reality we have standards all the time because they're useful - see similar payloads on the 3DS for a start. Plugins for various things on various systems too.

Actually, this is what Atmosphere does.
It loads a payload, which loads another bigger "payload" from sd card, which loads another payload (which is used for emunand support or just sysnand) and ofc it loads the main atmosphere binaries and Horizon OS.
Sounds familiar? Like TX? Guess what..
Oh cool maybe that's already something to work from, thanks for the info.

D

Deletedmember448668

As much as I somewhat agree with your statement, I also think options are not a bad idea either. Either way is good imo.

realjumy

Woooosh!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

https://gbatemp.net/threads/going-standard.504781/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @K3Nv2, try SanDisk format tool?