Fan single-handedly makes a demo of a Dino Crisis Remake in Unreal Engine 4

Many fans have been asking Capcom for remakes of some of their other franchises, and with the recent Dead Rising Deluxe Remaster, it's certain that Capcom is putting its eye on their other IPs as well. However, one IP from Capcom's backlog, and one that has remained dormant for quite a while, has been in talks of fans for years, that one being Dino Crisis.

Dino Crisis is one of Capcom's survival horror games which came to fruition thanks to Capcom's other main survival horror title, Resident Evil, with the very first Dino Crisis being released on the same year as Resident Evil 3: Nemesis, releasing on the original PlayStation. Shortly after, a sequel also appeared on the original PlayStation, Dino Crisis 2. Eventually, Dino Crisis 3 found its way in the next generation of consoles, releasing on the original Xbox in 2003, but reception to the third entry was poor, and since then, Capcom hasn't released any other Dino Crisis game to date.

With the recent releases of the Resident Evil Remakes of RE2, RE3 and RE4 in the RE Engine, and Capcom's omission of the Dino Crisis franchise for more than 2 decades now, it prompted action from a very dedicated fan by the name of Stefano Cagnani, who developed a remake demo of the original Dino Crisis entirely on his own on Unreal Engine 4.

The demo covers the first area of the game, showcasing the first area of the game, the research facility on Ibis Island, alongside a handful of the dinosaurs found within the game, with the main ones being the Compsognathus, Velociraptor and the Tyrannosaurus Rex. This served as both a passion project by Stefano since the original Dino Crisis is one of his favourite games, as well as a way to let Capcom know that there's strong interest in their fans for an official Dino Crisis Remake.

The demo is quite impressive for a solo outing, with both character and dinosaur animations looking quite good compared to other fan projects of the same vein, and one important aspect to note is both the sound and animation design for firing the pistol, which was done to an impressive result. The envionments themselves are atmospheric and very faithful to the original, while giving them an immersive HD overhaul, with the same applying to the very detailed dinosaur models, although the character models lack some detail to match those of the dinosaurs.

Stefano released this week the demo for his Dino Crisis Remake demo over at Itch.io, which he titled "Dino Crisis Rebirth". Those interested in trying out the demo can do so by entering Itch.io and downloading the demo, which runs on PC (Windows). The specs the developer used to create demo was an i7 with a GeForceRTX-1050Ti (4GB) and 16GB of RAM, so players know what base line to go for if they want to experience this impressive fan project.

:arrow: Dino Crisis Remake Demo on Itch.io

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Look, if this was made by a single person, by a fan, even if this is from a franchise owned by a big corporation, this is considered as a fangame. And again, look at what FANS can actually do when given the chance (the chance being to work underneath a rock and not revealing your project).
That's why I think "fan games" should fall under a "fair use" law and be protected against C&D or DMCA of any kind (if they respect some conditions such as not making any revenue of any kind, not interferring with official games in any way, etc.)

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What a feat this would be if it wouldn't end like any other project of this kind... abandoned without any further progress towards full completion.

If I said this was a quick grab for money and attention, I would be right 99 per cent of the time.

Robert Newbie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sometimes, completed projects appear out of nowhere, like the CDi Zelda remakes and the Majora's Mask Recompilation. Other times, we get a demo of a fan remake and nothing more.

It would be a big undertaking to remake a seven hour game at a quality similar to the current RE remakes. Even if we only ever get a demo, kudos to the dev(s) for the efforts.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The developer seems to be making a lot of “fantastic starts” that remain demos. I wouldn’t hold my breath on anything past this.

And to be honest I think that's all this needs to be.
Just enough to gain Capcom's attention, to let them know fans want it to the point where fans are making their own remake.

This mirrors what happened with RE2 back in 2015.
There was a fan remake by Rod Lima in the works which had a lot of the game already done, but then Capcom's C&D it and that's when the RE2 Remake officially was announced.
(Or maybe I'm confusing the C&D with the Code Veronica one? I can't recall tbh)

Reactions: Subtle Demise
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a shame Dino Crisis died after the Xbox one. I would love to see it get an official current gen remake with some nice QoL features like RE 2-4. Or at the least a Dino Crisis 4 with Regina returning to the main role. :wub:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Lol +1