EZ-Flash's new Nintendo DS flashcard Product Images with Information

WanderingHunter

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Yeah, for $13, it's gonna become the baseline standard for flash carts and clones I feel like (when it eventually gets cloned too).

It's just hard to find a reliable DS flash cart that runs WOODR4 right now, so this is a very promising option for me. Most of them come with some modified Ysmenu, and I can't stand Ysmenu.
EZ-Flash has disclosed the availability and price in China

Reactions: Jayro

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
How is this better than a 10 bucks R4?
The quality difference is huge, so that's a major selling point to me, if it remains a reliable cartridge over time. Some R4 cards typically last a while and then just stop working from being worn out, or shitty craftsmanship due to cheap manufacturing and poor tolerances.

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Let's be honest, who give a fuck about license when it come to warez
A license is quite important for projects for those who don't want their work to be cloned/stolen as their own.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
A license is quite important for projects for those who don't want their work to be cloned/stolen as their own.
The Chinese have never cared about that, and I don't see them starting now.

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The quality difference is huge, so that's a major selling point to me, if it remains a reliable cartridge over time. Some R4 cards typically last a while and then just stop working from being worn out, or shitty craftsmanship due to cheap manufacturing and poor tolerances.
Most R4 cards (clones in particular) have really poorly molded cartridges. They look promising, but the cheapness and feeling of them results them into breaking apart. EZ Flash have been in the business for decades, so I'm hoping to get something premium.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Most R4 cards (clones in particular) have really poorly molded cartridges. They look promising, but the cheapness and feeling of them results them into breaking apart. EZ Flash have been in the business for decades, so I'm hoping to get something premium.
Yeah, this one looks like it might be resin printed.

Reactions: SylverReZ

lifehackerhansol

i write working(?) code
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The Chinese have never cared about that, and I don't see them starting now.
EZ-Flash does have a history of respecting GPL; all of their DS flashcarts, they disclosed the GPL licensed code (not the ROM loader though, as that was code unrelated to Moonshell, but this time around the ROM loader is also GPL, so here's hoping.)

This is all assuming it's actually Wood-based; for all we know they could have taken the quite-ancient Acekard RPG code and worked on top of that, but then you're working on 15 year old source code and I doubt even EZ-Flash has the patience for that.

Reactions: splaca

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
EZ-Flash does have a history of respecting GPL; all of their DS flashcarts, they disclosed the GPL licensed code (not the ROM loader though, as that was code unrelated to Moonshell, but this time around the ROM loader is also GPL, so here's hoping.)

This is all assuming it's actually Wood-based; for all we know they could have taken the quite-ancient Acekard RPG code and worked on top of that, but then you're working on 15 year old source code and I doubt even EZ-Flash has the patience for that.
Typically, they make you hunt down and install the firmware yourself. If it came preinstalled on an included SD card, then I could see a grey area of licensing issues.

ksc

Trophies
XP
Country
Macau
The r4ids.cn lineup also has them. No idea what it's used for though.
Btw, the same kernel wood 1.64 with RTS enabled also can be used with the blue labeled 3dslink cart, So I think wood with RTS for the EZ’s new flashcart may come ture?

Last edited by ksc,

lifehackerhansol

i write working(?) code
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Typically, they make you hunt down and install the firmware yourself. If it came preinstalled on an included SD card, then I could see a grey area of licensing issues.
This is EZ-Flash we're talking about; I'd at least expect the same level of support as their GB/GBA lineup, and have a page on their website with proper download links.

It kind of sucks that such a small thing like that makes the cart already better than the stuff being sold today, but unfortunately the bar has been too low for too long.

Reactions: SylverReZ and Jayro

lifehackerhansol

i write working(?) code
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Don't a lot of flash carts support much larger sizes these days?
It's specified as 32GB because that is what is "officially" supported by FAT32. You see other companies advertise it similarly.

Of course, with some formatting, I don't see why it can't support more than that, just like the other carts out there.
Does it have a mechanical switch somewhere..? It's not clear from the pictures.
They might have done it the Stargate 3DS way, where ntrboot kinda just works?

Reactions: anotherthing

KevinMX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
For those caring about the price, a little background here.

In mainland China:
- A R4, com w/Timebomb or .com.cn w/modified Wood kernel, costs CNY ~¥20 (USD ~$2.8095 as today).
- A SC DSOne costs CNY ~¥30 (USD ~4.2143).
- A SC DSOnei (which fixes the PSRAM issue) costs somewhere from CNY ~¥100 to ¥150 (USD $14.0477~$21.0715).

And in most cases those are the prices with shipping included.
¥79 is definitely not an ideal price considering the bare bone features it provides.
With shipping & distribution costs it can only get more expensive.
EZ Team's GB/GBA flashcarts are really nice but this time for the DS...I really don't see any reason to buy this card.

Last edited by KevinMX,
  • Love
Reactions: BETA215

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Which quality difference? They don't even have the plastic pins between the contacts.
Don't a lot of flash carts support much larger sizes these days?
It will probably support everything with FAT32 but exFAT is not possible due to DLDI not beeing compatible with exFAT

Reactions: SylverReZ

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
They might have done it the Stargate 3DS way, where ntrboot kinda just works?
Stargate was too little too late, when CFW started to become easily accessible thanks to many new loopholes found in the 3DS, like you mentioned with ntrboot working. The same could be said for their later products with the MIG Switch; RCM Loaders and modchips have been around for ages.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Which quality difference? They don't even have the plastic pins between the contacts.
That's... Not what I'm referring to. I mean the soldering quality, the PCB quality over-all. And the resin shell looks fantastic compared to the shitty R4 clones available.

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
It runs WOODR4 without a time bomb, and shows what chips it's using, that's already huge and not 'barebones'. I think you're expecting too much, like a DSTWO clone or something.

I wonder what the pins on the front side are for. Possibly firmware updates by flipping it around and loading from slot 2?
actually, when I read "ezflash" I think more on high end stuff than budget stuff (because of where ezflash compete nowadays on Gameboy and Gameboy Advance cart market), so a supercard DSTWO competitor was what crossed my mind when I first saw the headline.

Not ezflash fault here, more a testament on how good and fully feature their GB and GBA carts are.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I really didn't like playing online against other people always felt like I was being matched...