Hacking EZ-FLASH Junior TestFlight

Bonny

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The secret to becoming good at soldering is to not use cheap stuff, low quality stuff. Good soldering iron, with good solder and flux will make a massive difference to soldering skills.
Desoldering stuff is generally a lot harder and you need to be very gentle or you're going to rip a soldering pad loose.

I wouldn't recommend desoldering a large smd capacitor if don't have the experience, some people absolutely destroyed their GBC doing it.

It's just as you say: You need good equipment, time, a proper workplace and also the skills to do harder solder-jobs. And i'am lacking in all of the above :ha:

So i decided to rather not wracking anymore consoles :blush:

Stirfry8993

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cambodia
First of all: SORRY for this question!

But, since when is: "Support Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance/SP, even with backlit mods and rechargeable batteries." officially listed in the Feature List of ezflash.cn ??? - https://www.ezflash.cn/product/ezflash-junior/

And what FW and/or Kernel is the best for backlit modded systems? I'am on FW5 and Kernel 1.04e.

Basically, my EZ Jr. boots up and loads/plays games correctly with this FW/Kernel. But if i press the Soft-reset button, it does not reboot correctly into the menu, instead it gets stuck at the "LOADING"-Message.

In my observation, I have a McWill TFT Screen, one thing that fixed the flickering screen and squealing noise, was to use 1.5v AA Alkaline Batteries. The Ni-Mh Rechargeables were only 1.3v, and so together, would only get to 2.8v. And because of this, I sort of have a sneaking suscipion that it might be the 680uf Cap. I've ordered the new Tantlum Capacitor the 6.3v 680uf from Console5, its on its way now. But also a Step-Up/Step-Down Voltage Regulator. I have a feeling, though I could be wrong, that this will fix the screen issues, but also give EZ-Flash Jr. a consistent level of power when initializing. I'll certainly post back though with results.

Reactions: Bonny

Bonny

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
In my observation, I have a McWill TFT Screen, one thing that fixed the flickering screen and squealing noise, was to use 1.5v AA Alkaline Batteries. The Ni-Mh Rechargeables were only 1.3v, and so together, would only get to 2.8v. And because of this, I sort of have a sneaking suscipion that it might be the 680uf Cap. I've ordered the new Tantlum Capacitor the 6.3v 680uf from Console5, its on its way now. But also a Step-Up/Step-Down Voltage Regulator. I have a feeling, though I could be wrong, that this will fix the screen issues, but also give EZ-Flash Jr. a consistent level of power when initializing. I'll certainly post back though with results.

Sounds interesting. Please report back.

Anyway, i always keep an eye on this thread, and hope, that someday there will be a FW or Kernel or any way, that makes the EZ Jr. work on at least a few of my modded devices without soldering/desoldering anything to or from the EZ Jr or my consoles.

As i said: My systems were all modded by other people, so i don't know which Screens, parts, or even the actuall game boy model they have used. The shells of the systems are 3rd party or from other original systems. So looking at the sticker on the back dosen't help much. I also do not dare to use them with any of my power adapters, cause i'am afraid of blowing them up :unsure:

Bonnom

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

Installing a small boost converter will likely solve your problems, changing the capacitor can still be a good idea though.

Bonny

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Intereseting bug Getting stuck at Loading screen is something that is the biggest problem with FW5 and the reason it got removed from the website. My EZ jr could never get past the loading screen on FW5. Not just resetting, really never.

I would try FW4 and see if it resolves the problem and please report back if it helped!! If it helped it might give @EZ-Flash2 a bit more insight into the loading problem with FW5.

You were right! Getting back to FW4 solved the reset-button-issue on my modded Game Boy Pocket. Now, booting the cart, playing, resetting and saving works! My modded GBC sill refuses to boot the cart, but i really guess, this is an hardware issue with my modded GBC. Anyway... now the EZ Jr. works on 2 of my modded systems! :wub:

Reactions: Bonnom

Bonnom

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You were right! Getting back to FW4 solved the reset-button-issue on my modded Game Boy Pocket. Now, booting the cart, playing, resetting and saving works! My modded GBC sill refuses to boot the cart, but i really guess, this is an hardware issue with my modded GBC. Anyway... now the EZ Jr. works on 2 of my modded systems! :wub:

Thanks!! Fw5 never worked on my gameboy and ezflash developer thought it was the SD card, even though I already had a fast one. Hopefully gives this a bit more insight into the problem @EZ-Flash2.

Bonny

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Got a new backlit modded GBP Unit today: :sad: - Was using it with the same 1.2V 1100mAh Camelion Akkus, as i did with my other modded GBP unit, but this time -> The console starts, the Nintendo Logo slides down the Screen, followed by the EZ-Flash Logo and the "loading" message... after then...REBOOT. The Nintendo Logo goes down again and all the following in circles. I also tired normal 1.5V Battieries - the same result.

What a pity... this GBP has the original screen aspect ratio... maybe this is the (power) problem. Anyway: If you own modded Gameboys, or clones like the ones from KongFeng: The EZ Jr. is just not recommended.

Bonnom

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Got a new backlit modded GBP Unit today: :sad: - Was using it with the same 1.2V 1100mAh Camelion Akkus, as i did with my other modded GBP unit, but this time -> The console starts, the Nintendo Logo slides down the Screen, followed by the EZ-Flash Logo and the "loading" message... after then...REBOOT. The Nintendo Logo goes down again and all the following in circles. I also tired normal 1.5V Battieries - the same result.

What a pity... this GBP has the original screen aspect ratio... maybe this is the (power) problem. Anyway: If you own modded Gameboys, or clones like the ones from KongFeng: The EZ Jr. is just not recommended.

Did you add a power regulator/buck converter?

Bonny

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Did you add a power regulator/buck converter?

Well, as i said: I'am not modding the units by myself. i also bought these one from an other person. I don't know nothing about its interior. And i also don't know what a power regulator/buck converter is, or how i should add these parts - you know: I'am bad in soldering :ha:

I just want to report that its not working, so other owner/potential buyers of modded unit should be aware.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My EZFlash Jr works in both my BennVenn V1 system and MidWest Embedded system just fine using V5 firmware (Prism only jumps several minutes each save instead of lots). I am however using Energizer Ultimate Lithuim batteries and not LiPo or NiMh batteries.

I did flash V5 using a GameBoy Advance SP 001 with frontlight turned off for the least power drain while flashing the cart.

Reactions: WiLLiW

WiLLiW

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
My EZFlash Jr works in both my BennVenn V1 system and MidWest Embedded system just fine using V5 firmware (Prism only jumps several minutes each save instead of lots). I am however using Energizer Ultimate Lithuim batteries and not LiPo or NiMh batteries.

I did flash V5 using a GameBoy Advance SP 001 with frontlight turned off for the least power drain while flashing the cart.
Sick, dude! BUT, for me, GBL ...firm and kernel 1.4 is the way to go...some minor saves issues on zelda awakening, though

WiLLiW

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
and major save issues with pokemon puzzle league puzzles mode :(
Didn't know that :hateit:
<<pokefan fire ignites>>
370862bbff7f3d3345a3d0e9b45a38c3.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat