Hacking EZ-Flash III battery

Vacarack

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an EZ-Flash III 1Gb, and the battery died some time ago. I tried to replace it with a standard button battery but failed. In the process I lost the original battery. Can anyone tell me what the correct battery is for this flash cart?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Panasonic VL2020 is the one used by the EZ2, EZ3 and earlier EZ4 GBA size. You can still find them for not a lot today but you may have to search a bit as they also fix certain BMW key fobs and some sellers jacked the price up accordingly.

Reactions: x65943

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Good luck finding one of those. I think the EZteam just bent a lead of one of the standard arrangements back rather than having fun with a tab welder. You can always throw a small wire on there as well, might not look pretty but will get the job done.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Space is at a bit of a premium in this instance. I guess you could drop down a size or two and use one of those instead, if you do then do make sure to use the same chemistry battery or one that is compatible, Panasonic have a spec sheet for the battery out there something. The EZ3 will not have proper charge regulation as much as a diode and a resistor or two but if it is one that needs fancy constant current phases, temp sensing and whatever then be aware.

Vacarack

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I got the above battery, soldered it in place, and left the cart in the EZWriter II all night long (green light on). No joy. Not charging. I don't need EZ Manger running, do I?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No, any powered USB port should have done it.

Do you have a multimeter to test the voltage? Most cells will come charged but you never know.

After this we get to start looking at broken components or connections somewhere on the EZ3.

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
Can you use this battery's with gen 2 Pokémon games? Because the battery's I've ordered are dead within 7 months.
Gen 2 pokemon battery tends to have tabs that are 180 degrees apart. like the image below.

813IQrv%2By6L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

If your applying heat from a soldering iron to a battery with no tabs, your destroying the battery by applying excessive heat which shortens the battery life by alot. You can find battery with tabs on amazon if you don't like buying through a not well know site to you.

The battery visually shown above is from amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/10-Pack-CR2025-Batteries-Soldering-Tabs/dp/B00GQCZF88/

---

Just noticed your flag is listing Netherlands. Your going to need to find a vendor that sells something similar. Ebay tends to list these.

Last edited by how_do_i_do_that,

koffieleut

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Like I said, I bought some 2025 from ebay last year, but my gen 2 carts are allready dead.
Maybe soldering a tab on top of the existing tab (pointing the opposite direction) could do it?

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
Like I said, I bought some 2025 from ebay last year, but my gen 2 carts are allready dead.
Maybe soldering a tab on top of the existing tab (pointing the opposite direction) could do it?
It might have been old stock, where the battery life would be shorter than the 3-5 years of a new battery. You don't need to extend the tabs if you can already reach the PCB contact tabs.

Heinrisch

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I changed the battery in mine today and it seems to be working nicely!

I went on ebay and bought the cheapest Panasonic VL2020 battery I could find. If you are interested I bought this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-ml2020-vl2020-BMW-3-5-7-x5-z4-e83-fernsteuerung-stick-Batterie/163567530738.

I took one of the leads from the dry battery and soldered it to the leads of this battery to get the pin correctly (don't know if this is recommended :)).

Regarding this battery: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LY3L69F/
@Vacarack, I think it needs to be inserted "up-side-down", that is text downwards, to get the leads correct (+ to + and - to -).

Reactions: Alexander1970

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay