EZ-Flash III battery

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by Vacarack, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Vacarack
    OP

Vacarack Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 29, 2016
    United States
    I have an EZ-Flash III 1Gb, and the battery died some time ago. I tried to replace it with a standard button battery but failed. In the process I lost the original battery. Can anyone tell me what the correct battery is for this flash cart?

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Panasonic VL2020 is the one used by the EZ2, EZ3 and earlier EZ4 GBA size. You can still find them for not a lot today but you may have to search a bit as they also fix certain BMW key fobs and some sellers jacked the price up accordingly.

x65943 likes this.
  3. Vacarack
    OP

Vacarack Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 29, 2016
    United States
    Sweet. Thanks!

4. Vacarack
    OP

Vacarack Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 29, 2016
    United States
    I guess now, I just need to find one with the correct +/- leads.

5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Good luck finding one of those. I think the EZteam just bent a lead of one of the standard arrangements back rather than having fun with a tab welder. You can always throw a small wire on there as well, might not look pretty but will get the job done.

6. Jayro

Jayro MediCat DVD and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    I'd just solder in a new battery socket that's removable.

7. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Space is at a bit of a premium in this instance. I guess you could drop down a size or two and use one of those instead, if you do then do make sure to use the same chemistry battery or one that is compatible, Panasonic have a spec sheet for the battery out there something. The EZ3 will not have proper charge regulation as much as a diode and a resistor or two but if it is one that needs fancy constant current phases, temp sensing and whatever then be aware.

8. Vacarack
    OP

Vacarack Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 29, 2016
    United States
  9. Vacarack
    OP

Vacarack Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 29, 2016
    United States
    Well, I got the above battery, soldered it in place, and left the cart in the EZWriter II all night long (green light on). No joy. Not charging. I don't need EZ Manger running, do I?

10. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    No, any powered USB port should have done it.

Do you have a multimeter to test the voltage? Most cells will come charged but you never know.

After this we get to start looking at broken components or connections somewhere on the EZ3.

11. Vacarack
    OP

Vacarack Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 29, 2016
    United States
    Voltage out of the package was 2.96v. I figured it needs charging.

12. slaphappygamer

slaphappygamer GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 30, 2008
    United States
    California
    Hey there, did you ever get your new battery going? I'm looking to replace my battery for my ezflashiii also. I was going to get the same battery.

13. koffieleut

koffieleut GBAtemp Fan

Jan 22, 2009
    Netherlands
    probably at home
    Can you use this battery's with gen 2 Pokémon games? Because the battery's I've ordered are dead within 7 months.

14. how_do_i_do_that

how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

May 16, 2008
    Antarctica
    You have insufficient posts to view location.
    Gen 2 pokemon battery tends to have tabs that are 180 degrees apart. like the image below.

Warning: Spoilers inside!

If your applying heat from a soldering iron to a battery with no tabs, your destroying the battery by applying excessive heat which shortens the battery life by alot. You can find battery with tabs on amazon if you don't like buying through a not well know site to you.

The battery visually shown above is from amazon.
    https://www.amazon.com/10-Pack-CR2025-Batteries-Soldering-Tabs/dp/B00GQCZF88/

---

Just noticed your flag is listing Netherlands. Your going to need to find a vendor that sells something similar. Ebay tends to list these.

Last edited by how_do_i_do_that, May 10, 2017
  15. koffieleut

koffieleut GBAtemp Fan

Jan 22, 2009
    Netherlands
    probably at home
    Like I said, I bought some 2025 from ebay last year, but my gen 2 carts are allready dead.
    Maybe soldering a tab on top of the existing tab (pointing the opposite direction) could do it?

16. how_do_i_do_that

how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

May 16, 2008
    Antarctica
    You have insufficient posts to view location.
    It might have been old stock, where the battery life would be shorter than the 3-5 years of a new battery. You don't need to extend the tabs if you can already reach the PCB contact tabs.