EZ-Flash and Linux

Discussion in 'EZ-Flash' started by beautifulbeast, Sep 3, 2007.

Sep 3, 2007

EZ-Flash and Linux by beautifulbeast at 8:34 PM (1,457 Views / 0 Likes) 3 replies

  1. beautifulbeast
    OP

    Member beautifulbeast GBAtemp Fan

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2007
    Messages:
    405
    Location:
    Madrid
    Country:
    Spain
    I've been considering the possibility of getting a EZ-Flash to play GBA games in my NDS Lite + R4, but always get lost among the different options and because it seems like all of them require you to install some kind of client on Windows and I use Linux (and wouldn't get back to Windows for nothing in the world).
    From time to time appears a post claiming (or at least that's what I understand) that it's possible flasing games from your slot-1 card into your EZ 3 in 1, but I get lost as soon as they start talking about the different kinds of memory and I don't know if this is some kind of experimental feature or what.
    So I decided it was time to ask the group. Knowing my requirements (No Windows, R4, only need it to play GBA titles like KH: Chain of memories, the two Metroids, Castlevania...) wich EZ model would you recommend and do people actually use that on-the-fly flashing technique from slot 1 to slot 2?
     
  2. FAST6191

    Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

    pip
    Joined:
    Nov 21, 2005
    Messages:
    21,716
    Country:
    United Kingdom
    All EZFlash models require some patching for GBA roms with the EZ4 and by extension the 3 in 1 patching program (EZ4 Client although there is GBATA and the hybrid tool had EZ4 GBA added at one point as well) being OK to use under WINE if you were so inclined.

    As for memory:
    there is RAM. Fast to write (30 seconds max) to but data is lost on power down. Also only 16 Megabytes (a small selection of games are 32 megabytes (KH: Chain of memories included in that) and some rom hacks and homebrew can also be larger than 16 Megabytes).

    The is NOR: slow to write (minutes slow) but data stays across power cycles, 32 Megabytes in size.

    Edit: regarding on the fly flashing: the EZ 3 in 1 is designed for it whereas the EZ4 is more geared towards having another microSD although rudolph made a EZ4 "2 in 1" tool (browser ram and GBA roms).
     
  3. beautifulbeast
    OP

    Member beautifulbeast GBAtemp Fan

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2007
    Messages:
    405
    Location:
    Madrid
    Country:
    Spain
  4. FAST6191

    Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

    pip
    Joined:
    Nov 21, 2005
    Messages:
    21,716
    Country:
    United Kingdom
    If you want RAM, rumble and the odd GBA game (GBA games take up a good bit of space if you will let them: there are a fair few good ones) then it will be good for what you want.
    The R4 line (or any other DLDI capable DS slot cart) is well supported by third party tools.

    Furthermore if you are interested the GBA patching is actually very simple 90% of the time (I know of several people reverse engineering what was done, the other 10% is stuff like the light sensor, RTC, movement and the odd "protection" that is applied). Usually less than 50 bytes are altered (which I can imagine could be knocked out with a PHP script) and even then they are limited to standard ones for EEPROM, SRAM and Flash types.
     

Share This Page