External USB Confusion

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by greenkoala, Dec 7, 2014.

1. greenkoala
    OP

greenkoala Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 25, 2013
    United States
    Hello,

I'm having a lot of doubts and it seems like joining the puzzle is proving more difficult that I thought, as I partially have the answers to these following questions but when put together I have no idea. So maybe you guys could help me out a little bit please?

I have a Toshiba Canvio 3.0 1 TB. As stated twice in the wiki this drive works fine, but the guys that put info there didn't explain much.
    I also have a Y-Cable in case it needs one (bundled with a regular cable).

I installed HC already, and I'm at the latest Wii U version. I did it by some of the guides in here.

1. Is it possible to run homebrew from the USB disk? Or does it always have to be SD card? If possible via USB can I use NTFS? Does it have to be FAT32?
    2. Is it possible to run WiiFlow and load games from NTFS? Or is it only FAT32?
    3. Is it possible to run Nintendont and load games from NTFS? Or is it only FAT32?
    4. If possible NTFS and FAT 32 to the above questions can I format say partition 1 to FAT32 and then NTFS to seconds one and would it work for USB loaders? For Nintendont?
    5. Can I use the USB to save games in order to avoid the infamous memory corruption bug? I already saved some data to the SD (Smash Bros WIii U) but would like to skip the SD if possible.
    6. If (5) is possible can it work with regular FAT32/NTFS drives or does it have to be with that "Wii U format" people talk about? And if so.. can this Wii U format work for USB loaders/Nintendont as well?

Basically what I want is have the Wii and GC dumps on the same HD (this USB I talk about) and optionally use it to save game data and put .dol/whatever for USB loaders and other homebrew. IS possible at all with any configuration or what would be my options (in case then I would have to forcefully use the SD card for any of them).

Thanks a lot for your time!

2. An Original Human

An Original Human Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 28, 2014
    United States
    I'll answer what I can.

1. Yes, you can run homebrew from the usb. Starting apps will take a little bit longer from usb.I beleive it has to be FAT32 but I'm not totally sure.
    2.I just looked up that real quick and it looks like you can. You can do the same on CFG. Not sure about USBLGX.
    3.No. Only FAT32.
    4.Yes. The first partition MUST be FAT32 in order to work with Nintendont. NTFS for your Wii games is fine.
    5.Not totally sure what your asking but I'll tell you some stuff about saves. You can have GC saves on your usb using memcard emulation option on Nintendont.
    http://wiibrew.org/wiki/SaveGame_Manager_GX There you can get an spp to copy your wii saves to an SD and keep those safe on a pc or your usb. I dont think you can skip the sd on this part, someone correct me if im wrong.
    But as previously said, I'm not totally sure what your asking.
    6.Wii U format does not work with anything else other than Nintendo sanctioned stuff, so no, dont use Wii U format.

Thats all I got.

greenkoala likes this.
  3. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Hopefully someone can extract/decrypt the Wii U filesystem driver, for use in homebrew applications. Having access to the filesystem of a Wii U formatted drive would be ideal both console side and PC side. Linux and windows especially, since they tend to get the most support for hacking tools.

4. greenkoala
    OP

greenkoala Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 25, 2013
    United States
    Thank you very much!