Hardware ExFat corruption on external hard drive?

EmulateLife

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've heard of ExFat corruption on sd card but never on external hard drives. I have my Nand backup on it and I tried to copy it to another hard drive but one of the files wouldn't copy over it kept giving me an error that the file is no longer in that location but it's there. Then I put it back in the dock and tried to load my Xcis and it got about half way through them then crashed my Switch. Any solution?

EmulateLife

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it's just one of my laptop's I couldn't even run chkdsk on it it said it was RAW but I put it in my other laptop and it reads it fine chkdsk found no errors and there were only 2 fragments. Weird.

The crash on my Switch only happened once.

Last edited by EmulateLife,

Qubarf

Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
It is possible because hard drives still use nintendo's exFAT driver and are just as likely to be corrupted, depending on how much you use them ofcourse ;)

EmulateLife

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have put a lot of games on there (around 60 or so) but I really don't use it that much. I'm usually playing Retroarch.

I'm going to copy all games to another hard drive format and copy them back. Not worth the risk of losing them all.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
exFAT is less reliable and robust than NTFS or HFS+, exFAT is generally slower than a native file system due to the lack of journaling. In addition exFAT lack redundant file table that even FAT32 has. So any interruption during file transfer would often result in file corruption and data loss. It is recommended to keep multiple copies of backup.

EmulateLife

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it's corrupted I can only copy files to like a certain percent like before was 9% now 2% then it just stays at Speed 0 bytes/s and eventually says the file is no longer in that location. It still works in my Switch though, but who knows for how long.

EmulateLife

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I installed crystaldiskinfo but can't get the damn app to open. Tried Diskinfo32.exe and Diskinfo64.exe neither will open.

EmulateLife

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well the corruption on the hard drive is happening on two laptops. I just want to copy everything over so I can just format it but it goes to 0 kb speed after awhile and then says the file is no longer in that location even though it is.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Ok I got crystaldiskinfo to work how do you make it know I'm talking about my external and not my internal on my laptop?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Health status caution Reallocated sectors count in yellow. IDK what that means. Also current pending sector count in yellow and uncorrectable sector count. Guess I'm fucked.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good night