OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
sony_psp.jpg

QUOTE said:
It looks like the stage is set for a big handheld console showdown in 2010. Endangered by rising sales of games for iPhone and OTA downloads instead of conventional cartridge/memory card games, both Nintendo and Sony have to prove that their hardware isn't going on the path of Amiga [proprietary gaming "PC" using Motorola's CPU architecture from 1980s and 1990s], but rather can live in today's connected world.

After we disclosed the relationship between Nintendo and nVidia on the next-generation hardware, we learned that handheld-refresh cycle is in full speed over at Sony as well. If we take a look at PlayStation Portable hardware [both conventional and the PSP Go] since launch, we can see that one problems that Sony has is the use of different hardware over the course of lifetime. Sony released four PSP handhelds mostly relying on 32-bit MIPS R4000 CPU core with 8MB eDRAM as the "Media Engine" clocked at 222 MHz [later unlocked to 333 MHz, PSP Go can overclock to 480 MHz], while the graphics subsystem relies on a proprietary chip featuring 2MB of eDRAM, clocked at 166 MHz.

Naturally, this hardware doesn't exactly have the compute power to tackle the last generation of cellphones, and with the 2010 phones offering HD output capabilities, the time was up for current generation of hardware. Sony begun work on PSP2 back in 2008 and unofficially announced the selection of graphics hardware: on November 24th, 2008 Imagination Technologies ran a press release stating that "Imagination Technologies Group plc has signed a license agreement with a new partner, a major international consumer electronics company, for a high-performance forthcoming member of Imagination's POWERVR SGX graphics processor family."
The client, "major international Consumer Electronics Company" was no other than Sony Corporation and the chip at hand are known as PowerVR SGX543. On CES 2009, Imagination Technologies introduced the PowerVR Series SGX architecture and on March 16th, 2009 Imagination Technologies ran a press release introducing the details of this part. Even though the introduction was low-key and wasn't picked up by tech media, seven months later we finally saw what the architecture can to.

The power of this chip is quite impressive, easily beating integrated graphics parts on PC platform. For instance, it flat-out beats the living daylights out of PowerVR core integrated in Intel's Atom platform. According to the sources close to heart of the company, the SGX543 for PlayStation Portable 2 can reach theoretical performance of desktop graphics cards released during this year, an impressive feat indeed. Imagination Technologies recently passed the 200 million shipped SoC chips milestone, but with PSP2 deal, that number is sure to grow by at least 30-40 million units more.

Now, the interesting part about the PowerVR is that it is a true MIMD [Multiple Instruction-Multiple Data http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIMD ] architecture. In their press releases, ImgTech is bragging about the capabilities of the "GP-GPU", but even if we take a look at the specifications with the cold head, a lot of surprises are in store. The multi-core design is available in dual, quad, octal and sedec-core variants [SGX543MP2, SGX543MP4, SGX543MP8, SGX543MP16], and they're by no means slouches.

For instance, a quad-core version SGX543MP4 at only 200 MHz frequency delivers 133 million polygons per second and offers fill-rate of four billion pixels per second [4GPixel/s], in the range of GeForce 8600 cards. For that matter, 4GPixel/s runs 40nm GeForce GT210 [2.5 GPixel/s] into the ground. Given that GeForce GT210 runs at 589 MHz for the core and 1.4 GHz for shaders. Since PowerVR SGX543 targets handheld devices, there is no saying what the performance plateau is.
An eight core SGX543MP8 at 200 MHz delivers 266 million polygons and eight billion pixels per second, while faster clocked version, for instance, at 400 MHz would deliver 532 million polygons and 16 billion pixels per second. 16 billion pixels per second equal GeForce GTX 260-216, for instance.

After analyzing the performance at hand, it is no wonder that Sony chose to go with PowerVR for the next-generation PlayStation Portable. While the exact details of the SoC are still in question, our take is that Sony could go with quad-core setup at 400MHz [8GPixel/s], paired with a dual-core CPU based on ARM Cortex architecture. This would put Sony direct in line against Tegra-powered Nintendo DS2, PowerVR-based Apple's iPhone 4G and Palm Pre2.

With all the major players selecting ARM cores for their current or next-generation products, it looks like the second decade of 21st century will be marked with the battle royal between ARM and x86 architecture in the handheld space [with the advantage firmly in ARM's hands]. Given the installed user base of 15 billion ARM-powered devices and a plan to ship 15 billion more in the next five years, it looks like Intel x86 and AVX will have to wait until 2015 to get the chance to compete against ARM, PowerVR, Mali and GeForce IP, as far as handheld space goes.

When it comes to Sony PlayStation Portable Gen2, selecting PowerVR was the right way to go and since the company unofficially stated [but officially acted] that they don't give a darn about backwards compatibility [take a look at PlayStation 1-2-3 and PSP-PSP Go], programmers will just have to get used to utilizing the ARM core and PowerVR SGX graphics to the max.

We also learned of the PSP2 planned release date, but in order to protect our sources, we'll keep that information for another story. Let's just say it is within the next 12 months.

The Battle Royal for handheld gaming 2010
Apple iPhone 3G s / 4G = ARM Cortex + PowerVR SGX
HTC = ARM Cortex + PowerVR
Microsoft Zune HD = ARM11 + GeForce 6
Nintendo DS2 = ARM Cortex + GeForce 9
Nokia platform = ARM11 only
Palm Pre 2 = ARM Cortex + PowerVR SGX
RIM BlackBerry = ARM9 only
Samsung = ARM Cortex + PowerVR SGX
Sony PSP2 = ARM ? + PowerVR SGX

source: bright side of news

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It seems that the DS2 will be the powerhouse of the next generation, along with the PSP2.

I can't wait to see the homebrew capabilities of those two beasts
smileipb2.png

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
imz said:
sony_psp.jpg

QUOTE said:

The power of this chip is quite impressive, easily beating integrated graphics parts on PC platform. For instance, it flat-out beats the living daylights out of PowerVR core integrated in Intel's Atom platform. According to the sources close to heart of the company, the SGX543 for PlayStation Portable 2 can reach theoretical performance of desktop graphics cards released during this year, an impressive feat indeed. Imagination Technologies recently passed the 200 million shipped SoC chips milestone, but with PSP2 deal, that number is sure to grow by at least 30-40 million units more.

For instance, a quad-core version SGX543MP4 at only 200 MHz frequency delivers 133 million polygons per second and offers fill-rate of four billion pixels per second [4GPixel/s], in the range of GeForce 8600 cards. For that matter, 4GPixel/s runs 40nm GeForce GT210 [2.5 GPixel/s] into the ground. Given that GeForce GT210 runs at 589 MHz for the core and 1.4 GHz for shaders. Since PowerVR SGX543 targets handheld devices, there is no saying what the performance plateau is.
An eight core SGX543MP8 at 200 MHz delivers 266 million polygons and eight billion pixels per second, while faster clocked version, for instance, at 400 MHz would deliver 532 million polygons and 16 billion pixels per second. 16 billion pixels per second equal GeForce GTX 260-216, for instance.

WTF? So strong, I wonder what the price will be.
Also it should be out in 2010 already. Damn, the few people who bought the PSP-GO are screwed!
I would be so angry if I bought the PSP-GO and heard this news....

Raika

uguu
Trophies
XP
Country
Lol, PSP2 right after the release of PSPGo? Sony's gonna piss off a lot of people who bought the Go...

XtremeCore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was smiling at how technology advance so fast.

Handhelds are now the new Consoles, and I wonder what Consoles will become ...

DarkSpace

Custom member title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
XtremeCore said:
I was smiling at how technology advance so fast.

Handhelds are now the new Consoles, and I wonder what Consoles will become ...

Consoles will become super consoles. Let's see if the PSP2 will capture the handheld market for Sony.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is this even real, along with the DS2? Last I heard, DS2 was only a rumor, this could very well be one as well.

No offense to the Sony fans (and i'm a partial one myself somewhat being a big fan of PS1 and PS2), but this thing has some bad ideas if the article is telling the truth-

1- No back compatibility
2- Saying "developers will HAVE to get used to the new tech"
3- just plain ditching the PSPGo, nice move Sony (morons)

Take #2 for a good example in the history of gaming. The Sega Saturn had very very poor third party support because the system was hard to code for and no one was familiar with the technology in it. It died, some say, thanks to this fact. Handheld graphics as good as today's PC power seems a little overblown considering the handheld market is less about extremely expensive power houses of consoles that usually cost $500 or so. If this is real, I can imagine it will be quite expensive, possibly breaking $250.

And for the things they didn't even mention that are important-

- design? How will the thing look?
- battery consumption? Power is nothing if it only lasts for 1.5 hours
- game format? Will it use a CD-type format, or digital downloads?
- controls? Will they add a second analog stick this time?
- size? a handheld the size of a gamegear isn't a true handheld
- price? mentioned above, but all that fancy tech is quite expensive sounding
- games? i'm troubled at gaming devices becoming more like media centers, having fewer real games
- longevity? How long will it be before they just redesign THIS model and replace it like the last 4?
- customer satisfaction? most importantly, they risk alienating gamers with releasing new stuff so fast and outmoding old

Like I said, wonder if this article is even real at all. We don't even know if DS2 is real. Both Nintendo AND Sony have JUST released new revisions of their handhelds (DSi and PSPgo). It's getting ridiculous with all the revisions. I'm skeptical as to whether any of this is real. If it is, it's getting really out of hand. You can't even go 2 years without your hardware being obsolete.

Hillsy_

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
QUOTE said:
You can't even go 2 years without your hardware being obsolete.

Welcome to the PC World, or thank the PC's for this.

You do make some valid points though, but only Sony or Nintendo will know when this will all happen.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'm wondering too how strong that battery has to be then, as well as price and size.
Just like granville said, if the battery dies after 1,5-2 hours, the handheld is rubbish, I'm not buying anything under a 8 hour battery life, no matter how strong it is.

Giga_Gaia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The DS2 and PSP2 may be coming, but not in 2010, not 2011 either. The WiiHD also won't be coming in 2011 like people says.

QUOTE said:
We also learned of the PSP2 planned release date, but in order to protect our sources, we'll keep that information for another story. Let's just say it is within the next 12 months.

Just a way to tell that they don't know anything and talking out of their ass.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If true this thing will costs a shitload.

PSPgo is expensive enough for what it is.

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I think portables don`t need to be more powerful than the PSP is for another 4 to 5 years... A price-point higher then what Sony is charching for the "Go" (more then the consols of both competitors) can`t be profatable...

SEGA was ahead its time with the GameGear but was the consumer ready for it... obviously NO!!!!

Technik

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Raika said:
Lol, PSP2 right after the release of PSPGo? Sony's gonna piss off a lot of idiots who bought the Go...
Fixed.

And where is there comfirmation that the ds2 is real?
If this is true then we have alot ahead of us. But the question is where are we gonna get the $400 they're probably gonna charge it for.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
granville said:
Like I said, wonder if this article is even real at all. We don't even know if DS2 is real. Both Nintendo AND Sony have JUST released new revisions of their handhelds (DSi and PSPgo). It's getting ridiculous with all the revisions. I'm skeptical as to whether any of this is real. If it is, it's getting really out of hand. You can't even go 2 years without your hardware being obsolete.
Both the DSi and PSP Go are market experiments. Both companies were testing the waters for their next consoles, the actual successors to their current handhelds. They need some feedback for their ideas.

The DSi didn't go overboard with the changes, and it's doing pretty well. The PSP Go is neither here nor there and it isn't doing so great. So Nintendo can advance cautiously in the same direction, and Sony can learn from their mistakes. Let's hope they do.

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
so is this psp2 comming next so like after psp go and ds2 gonna replace the dsi its still so new i need to know so i might not need a dsi

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
This thing needs some good games at launch that a lot of people will want to play, like a new Metal Gear Solid or something. It's great that it'll be this powerful, but it also needs to be cheap. Something at least less than 200 euros (this is also true for DS2). Finally, it needs to be at least partially backwards compatible.

If Sony can do this, I may buy it as well as the DS2. I'd love to play some of the PSP titles, but it's simply not interesting to buy a PSP right now.

Oh, and I forgot: bring UMD or something similar back!

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The next generation handhelds are coming...maybe...

Again this is all pretty much rumors but I'd be very happy to see the DS2 be more powerful than the PSP2.

Also even though I got a DSi it'll still be 2011 at best before the DS2 even comes to America, so I won't be mad at all.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim: @Psionic Roshambo i have 16 gb in my pc and i run into issues with ram more than i'd like to admit