1. neoxdonut

neoxdonut Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Got my fist overheating message today playing Mario galaxy docked 59c? changed the thermal paste today played and whole console feels hot after 20 minutes playing docked. I think the fan in my switch might not be working

2. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

United States
    While the switch is hot put your face in front of the fan exhaust and try to tell if you can feel air. You can also remove the backplate and see if the fan turns on in demanding games like BoTW

3. neoxdonut

neoxdonut Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I'll test that out

4. waqster

waqster Newbie
    Newcomer

After replacing the awful thermal paste application by Nintendo with thermal pads and MX-4, I’ve noticed the fan spinning up less, and the console just feels cooler. My idle temps range from 20-25C, and under load playing Crysis in handheld mode, about 42-48C. Absolutely worth doing and it’s so easy. Just be careful with the screws as they are really susceptible to stripping. I did remove the copper shim.

Lightyose and console like this.
  5. console

console I'm fans of Elvira Mistress of the Dark. :-) <3

United States
    I hate cheap thermal paste from all company put lousy thing on them. Because it's OEM things like old school paste is not good.

Prolimatech Pk-3 Nano Aluminum is doing much better because of more 5 C cooler than Arctic MX-4. Prolimatech Pk-3 Nano Aluminum price is more than Arctic MX-4.

Both Prolimatech Pk-3 Nano Aluminum and Arctic MX-4 are very safe to use it. No need to worry about it. :)

I glad that I did order both Prolimatech Pk-3 Nano Aluminum (Amazon) and Arctic MX-4 (Newegg). My paste from my 7 years old Nvidia Geforce GT 630 video card is not normal anymore went to about 60 C from 30 C - 35 C (do nothing still on desktop) then play game then skyrocket to 103 C when I play SpellForce 3, Starcraft 2 then I have to force to close game down to prevent damage to my video card before hit 105 C will shut down.

I will have to replace old paste to Prolimatech Pk-3 Nano Aluminum paste would help more. Because video card is make more hotter temperature than CPU cause paste to dry out really fast. I save my Arctic MX-4 for CPU only and Prolimatech Pk-3 Nano Aluminum for video card only (To take extra 5 C cooler down). B-)

waqster likes this.
  6. neoxdonut

neoxdonut Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Were did you get the thermal pads?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

are you supposed to feel air coming out the top if the switch is 49c when docked? i dont feel any hot air comin out the top so i think the fans might be broken in mine

7. waqster

waqster Newbie
    Newcomer

I’m using the Arctic Cooling Thermal pad, cost me about £7 from eBay for a small square. I put them on the RAM shield, and the metal backplate so that it aligns with the heat pipe.

8. neoxdonut

neoxdonut Member
    Newcomer

United States
    what thickness are the pads did you get?

Last edited by neoxdonut, Sep 29, 2020
  9. burhansalih

burhansalih GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    @NattyBoh what were your results after your recent attempt?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Normally around 1mm or 0.5mm usually most thermal pads.

10. waqster

waqster Newbie
    Newcomer

I bought the 0.5mm thickness, but I’m not 100% sure they’re the ideal size. But they’re obviously working fine.

neoxdonut likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Exchanging, thermal, paste