Exchanging thermal paste?

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories & Hardware' started by Clydefrosch, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Clydefrosch
    OP

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Germany
    I recently read that the switch might profit from replacing the factory applied thermal paste and thermal pads to better get rid of the heat, preventing framedrops in some games like Zelda.

Generally sounds logical, cheap paste doesn't take away the heat as effective and whatnot and it also doesn't seem to be very hard to pull off if you have the right screwdrivers either.

I'm sure some have tried and I'd be interested in experiences?

RayD97, Earth97 and CallmeBerto like this.
  2. gameboy

gameboy GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 9, 2015
    United States
    funny i was going to do this two days ago, bought the mx-4 and thermal pads but i didnt buy any triwing screwdrivers... i had a pair but they went missing

3. nero99

nero99 GBAtemp Addict

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    Replacing the paste helps keeps temps lower. I replaced mine with MX-4 and have had no heat issues after changing it. My system used to get quite hot when playing BOTW in handheld mode. but now it barely gets warm in handheld mode with the MX-4

CallmeBerto and Madridi like this.
  4. MrBland

MrBland Member

Newcomer
    Jun 2, 2018
    United States
    I'm planning on tackling the project next week. Just ordering all the supplies now. What size thermal pads did you use? I was going to buy 1mm pads, did you notices places that need thicker?

cearp likes this.
  5. gameboy

gameboy GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 9, 2015
    United States
    nvm, i ordered 1mm too but havent gotten to open it yet

Last edited by gameboy, Jun 7, 2018
  6. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Don't use pads, use liquid metal paste. My silver paste keeps mine from thermal throttling in Zelda. Docked or handheld modes be damned.

7. MrBland

MrBland Member

Newcomer
    Jun 2, 2018
    United States
    Well I plan on using liquid metal on the GPU/CPU, Arctic Silver between the cooper sheet and the heat pipe plate, and Arctic Silver between the heat pipe plate and the metal casing. However there are several other places between the metal casing and the internal components where there are thermal pads that I'm going to replace that I don't believe thermal paste would be appropriate; thus thermal pads. Just wasn't sure what size, I would hate to have bulging.

8. linuxares

linuxares GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 5, 2007
    Do you really win any big performance boost from the Switch with liquid metal? It feels iffy to put it on a handheld that will move around as well. I rather just have plain old artic silver on the heatshield instead.

cearp likes this.
  9. MrBland

MrBland Member

Newcomer
    Jun 2, 2018
    United States
    From what I've read (I haven't done mine yet) yes. But you need to be cautious not to put too much, just like in a laptop or PC. A small drop spread thinly around with a fine paint brush or Q-tip. I also am only going to use the liquid metal directly on the GPU/CPU and Arctic Silver and thermal pads everywhere else. There is always risk when using liquid metal, but if used correctly the risk is low.

Mostly I'm doing this because it's fun, I don't see it as nessecary for normal gameplay, however I do plan on eventually overclocking my Switch at which time this mod will definately prove its worth.

I am considering some over modifications to help with airflow too, maybe more vents in the outer case and a fan in the dock.

Last edited by MrBland, Jun 7, 2018
  10. guily6669

guily6669 GbaTemp is my Drug

Jun 3, 2013
    United States
    Doomed Island
    Artic Silver is not liquid metal... Though going to liquid metal which is the best option under the copper sheet won't probably lower much the temps than using AS5 and is more dangerous too...

And yeah, some parts are better with thermal pads...

There is a video on youtube of a heavily modded cooling Switch, he had thick thermal pads and ended up opening again and using thinner thermal pads, I can't remember the video, but you can search and ask him what thickness is the best as he already had to open his console again to change them and he surely will know the answer...

And you can get an idea of cooling mods... He also removed the copper sheet and modified the cooler mounting a bit to direct touch the SOC die with no sheet in the middle. On his video he shows the Zelda forest part and he completely removed all the FPS drop on that part which is the worse of all ZELDA and lags there.

I have a huge syringe of MX-4, but I only have thick thermal pads from a old GPU, I will probably just waste 20gr of thermal compound on my Switch all over the place :)

Last edited by guily6669, Jun 7, 2018
    cearp likes this.
  11. nekojosh

nekojosh GBAtemp Regular

Jan 9, 2015
    Panama City, Panama
    I'd be great if someone made a tutorial about this. I'd like to do this but not sure which brands of thermal paste or pads to buy and such. Also having a visual guide of the internals of the switch and where to apply it would be helpful to have before starting a project like this.
    Just sayin'. :)

RealSpyKitty likes this.
  12. guily6669

Jun 3, 2013
    United States
    Doomed Island

Ask that guy

cearp and nekojosh like this.
  13. nekojosh

nekojosh GBAtemp Regular

Jan 9, 2015
    Panama City, Panama
    Nice! this is helpful. Thanks.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  14. guily6669

Jun 3, 2013
    United States
    Doomed Island
    Oh and dont forget to also check his 1st video.

(This one shows the first part, but doesn't explain as good as the other, however there's a missing part on the other video which is here. And it is the thermal pads+thermal paste above the memory chips under the metal cover).

15. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    This thread makes me wish we had a homebrew app that allows us to monitor temperatures. I'm not even sure if that's possible. And yea, compared to the 3DS and Wii-U, taking apart the Switch is piss easy.

RealSpyKitty, cearp and DinohScene like this.
  16. guily6669

Jun 3, 2013
    United States
    Doomed Island
    I also can't wait for something like that... Eventually someone will probably add it to atmosphere with time. Actually after backup loading that's the number 1 feature I would want, having temps on the main atmosphere menu and on the power menu while in-game (the menu with LCD brightness control).

17. CallmeBerto

CallmeBerto Vigilante

GBAtemp Patron
    CallmeBerto is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 1, 2017
    United States
    USA
    I have.

I used AS5 and it was really easy. My switch used to get hot to the touch while playing Botw in dock mode and now it gets warm.

cearp and guily6669 like this.
  18. Clydefrosch
    OP

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Germany
    I hear liquid metal doesn't play nice with copper pipes in the long run.
    and it's also not the safest in a mobile system due to it leaking and all

19. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    I don't like the idea of using liquid metal in a console that you're going to move around a lot. Same reason why I refuse to put liquid metal in my Laptop.

20. guily6669

Jun 3, 2013
    United States
    Doomed Island
    Liquid metal actually can only be used with copper, it eats the aluminum and other metals that it touch, if it touches aluminum, you can completely break it with your fingers without even making any strength (it gives you super powers :) ).

So beyond being electrically conductive it destroy a lot of stuff and yeah Switch is portable so you will carry it with you, walking, running, shaking all over the place, I wouldn't also recommend liquid metal on it.

Artic MX-4 is 100% safe and also safer than AS5, easier to apply and it doesn't require any kind of baking while AS5 is said to only get full efficiency after around 200 hours of heat.

Artic MX-4 also claims to last 8 years and I bet it does as I have used MX-2 for 5 years and wasn't that bad after re-pasting with MX-3 and then to MX-4 on my Xbox360.

CallmeBerto likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice