Hardware Exchanging thermal paste?

Soler37

Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Next you should buy a 3D Printer!

(You spend 3 months furiously printing out mods for your new printer and the next month or two looking for things to print and then You come to the realization that it’s still a pain in the ass to print things and probably just easier to buy from whatever widget you were going to print…from someone else.)

Not sure there’s a video specific to a “right way for Switch.”
My general rule is if your paste is oozing out from under the heat sink you put too much.
For the back of the heat pipe I put thermal pads because I open mine all the time and don’t want to futz with paste. I bought a mix of various sizes and kept increasing the thickness until I could just feel it under the aluminum when I went to screw the plate back on.
Then I cut a huge hole in the middle of the aluminum so my Trinket M0 would fit.
So far so good.
Ok so here's an update, I quickly replaced the thermal paste and put the new fan in, the thing is, the new fan has normal holes rather than openings at the end, this means that the round silicon pieces don't really fit there, the reason I got that one, is because it was a tad more expensive and advertised as not damaged as easily, since the price wasn't that different and anyway I wanted to get the "upgraded" one more.
I noticed that there is a bit of noise coming from the fan when it spins at about 40%, sounds like a rattle but only if I put my ear in the cooling vents.
What I want to is that if this is normal and does anyone know anything about this piece (the round one) and is there a way or need to insert the rubber pieces that came with the original fan.

Here are pics from Ali of the piece that I purchased (OEM) and the other piece that originally comes out of the switch.

Attachments

• 1673323994842.png
    1673323994842.png
    229.1 KB · Views: 44
  • Screenshot_2023-01-10-07-36-44-16_57e717c094f371a1dada6567a1123b99.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-01-10-07-36-44-16_57e717c094f371a1dada6567a1123b99.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 33
Last edited by Soler37,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Ok so here's an update, I quickly replaced the thermal paste and put the new fan in, the thing is, the new fan has normal holes rather than openings at the end, this means that the round silicon pieces don't really fit there, the reason I got that one, is because it was a tad more expensive and advertised as not damaged as easily, since the price wasn't that different and anyway I wanted to get the "upgraded" one more.
I noticed that there is a bit of noise coming from the fan when it spins at about 40%, sounds like a rattle but only if I put my ear in the cooling vents.
What I want to is that if this is normal and does anyone know anything about this piece (the round one) and is there a way or need to insert the rubber pieces that came with the original fan.

Here is a pic from Ali of the piece that I purchased (OEM for Switch):

View attachment 346814
View attachment 346818

This is the piece that looks its actually OEM and what came out of my Switch (the round plastic is open):

View attachment 346817
What silicon pieces are you talking about? Pics please.
Edit: Looks like the one you bought is meant for Switch OLED only.

Soler37

Trophies
XP
Country
Israel

It is not for the OLED, there is an OLED model purchasable from the same group of 4 items, I also read comments to make sure it's right, I'm just curious as to what to do with the rubber pieces.
Post automatically merged:

My bad, I accidently added the OLED model, however, I re added the regular one that says OEM.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-01-10-07-33-03-02_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-01-10-07-33-03-02_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 30
Last edited by Soler37,
Reactions: impeeza

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
It is not for the OLED, there is an OLED model purchasable from the same group of 4 items, I also read comments to make sure it's right, I'm just curious as to what to do with the rubber pieces.
Post automatically merged:

My bad, I accidently added the OLED model, however, I re added the regular one that says OEM.
Ah. Those look like vibration dampeners. They aren't essential.

Reactions: Lamcza

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The only CoD game I played that I truly enjoyed was Black Ops 1, and only the single player...