1. Reynardine

Reynardine The Villagefox

Germany
    Haha, you made feel a bit better about playing on my pal console now!
    I should hook it up again sometime...

Also, sorry if I derailed this thread with my questions.

Last edited by Reynardine, Feb 12, 2020
  2. Boesy

OP Boesy GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Assuming you live in Portugal (hence the flag), it's not surprising you have to favor EUR versions over USA as importing every game would end up costing a lot. CeX opened various branches in Portugal so used gaming is a bit easier to buy than before (there was GAME, but they seem to have closed down and their prices were probably high as usual) as CeX tends to have decent prices.

In U.K., CeX Online can have really good deals that no one notices and that's a good thing for me.

By the way, the CeX in Forum Barreiro, Portugal is pretty darn good and clean. Haven't been to any others because they're either too far or don't have time when I'm there.

3. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    That is true for N64/PSX and earlier, but GC games usually let you choose to run in PAL60 and Wii almost always support PAL60. Also, many people prefer playing games in their native language, and the PAL versions have more language options. Also, games only ran slower due to laziness where they didn't bother to optimize for both 50hz and 60hz. That's not a problem on GC and up, and not even a problem on every game on earlier consoles.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, Feb 12, 2020
    Reynardine likes this.
  4. Boesy

OP Boesy GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Some games on SNES PAL were optimized, but that wasn't the case for all, unfortunately. PAL games have the advantage of multiple languages whereas NTSC are generally just English or EN/ES/FR (for example).

Super Dragon Ball Z's PS2 PAL version features a 60 Hz option so if I play that, that's what I pick. And I prefer the PAL version of SDBZ because it features the Japanese audio with English subs, while the NTSC is English dub only.

Reynardine and The Real Jdbye like this.
  5. duwen

duwen Old Man Yoshi

United Kingdom
    I did the multi-region switch mod for my Eur Megadrive, and while I generally run everything on the Japanese setting I'm often surprised by how many PAL titles run at the same speed regardless of the consoles settings. It seems that a lot of European and Japanese developed titles did bother with region optimisation, while NA developed titles are more likely to overlook any optimisation.

Reynardine likes this.
  6. Boesy

OP Boesy GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    This website has a list of PAL PS2 which say if it runs in 60 Hz or not — http://www.benoitren.be/60hz-palps2.html

There are games that oddly run somewhat faster in PAL than they do in NTSC.

Example #1: Dragon Ball Z: Tenkaichi 3 (PS2)

Example #2: Super Mario World (SNES)

Ultimately, I just go with NTSC-U/J copies to be assured it runs at the proper speed and I don't have to look it up if it does or doesn't.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - inferior, valuable, though