EUU region on cartridge?

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by migles, Jul 11, 2016.

1. migles
    OP

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    I bought 2 pre owned games and it come to my attention one of them had a EUU region instead of all my other games usual EUR

So what the hell does this mean?
    They seem legit I can't find anything to doubt it's a fake game..
    The game is rhythm paradise
    Picture atached
    tmp_12710-IMAG0279_13456359.jpg

2. Riyaz

Riyaz Black Ace/Red Joker

Jun 21, 2011
    Netherlands
    everywhere
    my copy (bought new in store) also has EUU
    NTR-YLZP-EUU

3. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    I looked up the game in question
    http://www.advanscene.com/html/Releases/dbdswrel.php?id=3794
    http://www.advanscene.com/html/Releases/dbrelds.php?id=3794
    http://www.advanscene.com/html/Releases/dbrelds.php?id=3917

Apparently the EUU version has English - Italian - Spanish where the EUR release has English - French - German.
    It might help with that, however the last letter in the middle part is X where the other is Y so there is that.

I also did a search on the same site and apparently there are a lot of EUU games, all from Europe, save for Imagine - Reporter (DSi Enhanced). A searched for a few titles and most did appear to be language differences with English - Italian - Spanish being a common theme but other times there were more northern European languages in there.

migles, Seriel and Sliter like this.
  4. suparnemo

suparnemo GBAtemp Regular

Jul 10, 2016
    United States
    So is EUU just a EU/US combo thing? Work in both regions?

5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Other than the Chinese ique (since cracked), possibly some Korean stuff (unknown) and a few minor technicalities or more likely a ROM hack (some games released with English or other languages locked away and could be unlocked with hacking) no DS game was region locked. The DSi has some region locking stuff and obviously the 3ds does but not the DS (or GBA or GBC or GB...).
    This then appears to be an alternative for EU serials, I have no idea if there is a deeper meaning.

There are several games that are byte for byte the same on the GBA between North America and Europe, if I there are any on the DS I have not seen them though. There are plenty that are probably identical in assets and most other things you care to measure things by (probably not filesystem or exact binary but close enough) but the serials differences will tank that.

6. suparnemo

suparnemo GBAtemp Regular

Jul 10, 2016
    United States
    Oh I wasn't aware of that! Thought they were all region-locked just like the 3DS. Thanks for the info!

7. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft GBAtemp Addict

Mar 8, 2012
    United States
    Interesting thing about DS region locking (for iQue DS) is that both DSi and 3DS ignore it, so you can play iQue DS games on any region DSi or 3DS. Granted, there's only 5 of them, and they're all just localizations of games released everywhere else anyway.

Tomato Hentai likes this.