Hacking Eternal Darkness Will Not Load on Wiikey 2 + Softmod

SharkSmile

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi guys. I have a problem that's been driving me crazy since last night. I wasted 3 disks, tried 2 different isos with no solution whatsoever. I googled all around the net but i can't even get a decent solution. Hell, I don't know if there is a solution...

Problem is this: I just bought Gamecube controller and memory card for playing Eternal Darkness and Twin Snakes on my Softmodded AND hardmodded (with wiikey 2) PAL wii. First I burnt Twin Snakes, which worked wonderfully. But when i tried to burn and launch Eternal Darkness, it gave me an error at startup screen (at edgar allan poe Poem, something about referring to the booklet).

Things I tried:
Different Media (Verbatim, Diamond (Philips) Burned at 1x 4x 8x
Different Speeds as I said above
Gecko OS Multi Disk (I tried it)
Patching with FSTFIX
Patching with VIPER
Fiddled with various settings of modchip (audio fix on-off, changed read speed to 3x and then 6x, turned region patcher on off etc).

And nothing, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING made this game work. I'm beginning to think that it is about Wiikey 2, but why also softmod (Neogamma, GC Backup Launcher 0.1, 0.2) does not work? I installed MIOS patch too, but it doesn't work. My original disc doesn't work either :/ (I thought maybe my disc was not reliable and also tried downloading different ISO's from different regions, doesn't work)

Any suggestions other than removing the chip and what causes the problem?

cobleman

Trophies
XP
Country
Are you getting a red screen error i know the game works all but the audio glitch
I use UsbloaderGx to load my GC disc's and i use DARKCORP-v1 wiigator mios
If you dont want to use a HDD then stick a usb stick in to boot the loader and use its disc channel

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
You need either to install a clean MIOS(NOT cMIOS!) and run it from disc channel or you need to use WiiGator's cMIOS + latest NeoGamma set to GC mode internal. Right before the moment you get that error, eject the disc and reinsert it. NeoGamma R9 beta30 will most likely be able to play it without the eject trick, but it's not finished yet.

SharkSmile

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
No, not red screen. In the opening, right on the Edgar Alan Poe Poem, an error pops up "An error has occured. Turn the power OFF and check the Nintendo Gamecube Instruction Booklet for further instructions."
USBLoaderGX gives the same error at the same place.
I don't think it's about DARKCORP or whatever, those IOS's are about Wii, right? I'm installing them now, but i don't think it will change anything.
I have MIOS v4 from MIOS patcher which came with GC backup launcher 0.2, so i think it's Wiigator's MIOS v4.

WiiPower, are you talking about original disc or backup disc? By the way I also happen to have a Wiikey 2 installed as I stated, can it affect anything with NeoGamma?
I tried the eject trick with one of the backups (PAL) and it gave the SAME error at the SAME place right after I put it in. I also tried the original now and it doesn't work... Maybe I didn't press Eject soon enough? I will try again and post the results.

Tried. Doesn't work at all... :'(

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
If the eject trick doesn't work with the retail disc, you might have a big problem.

Forget DarkCorp and cIOS, mostly the MIOS matters*, and you can only have 1 MIOS or cMIOS installed at one time. Since you have a modchip, you have to treat the game as retail disc. This means that WiiGator's loader WILL fail to load the game as it's not retail disc compatible.

I see the following options that should work for you(if you chip doesn't completely screw it up):
Original MIOS + disc channel OR any loader that just boots MIOS
Waninkoko's cMIOS + disc channel OR any loader that just boots MIOS
WiiGator's cMIOS + latest NeoGamma set to GC mode internal
The 1st method should even work without the eject trick, the other 2 will need it.

Funny thing is that an Eternal Darkness backup on a "only" softmodded Wii instantly works, just without the speech. If the chip only makes the Wii believe it's a retail disc, but doesn't support the streamingcorrectly at the same time, you have currently no method to play the game.

*Well as long as you don't use one of the major fail cIOS like rev11,12,15,16 or 18. When using NeoGamma, i recommend getting cIOS rev19.

SharkSmile

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have Rev 14 installed. Should I update it to 19? I'm afraid that WAD Manager etc. will be broken because their versions are old.

Also, there is no speech on Eternal Darkness when you start it from a backup? So there is currently no way to properly play the game with backup...

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
On a softmodded Wii there's no speech in Eternal Darkness, but you have a modchip that is supposed to take care of that.

SharkSmile

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So even if I remove the modchip, and go all the way softmod, I still won't be able to play it as backup... But I can play the original disc from disc channel when I remove the modchip right?
Well, it's not happening anyway, since I don't want to remove my modchip for just one game...
Is there ANY hope for me in future
frown.gif
Anything...
BTW i tried all of your methods, none of them works :'(

Fudge

Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
SharkSmile said:
So even if I remove the modchip, and go all the way softmod, I still won't be able to play it as backup... But I can play the original disc from disc channel when I remove the modchip right?
Well, it's not happening anyway, since I don't want to remove my modchip for just one game...
Is there ANY hope for me in future
frown.gif
Anything...
BTW i tried all of your methods, none of them works :'(
Are you sure you installed a clean, official MIOS? Get it from NUSD.

chop

Trophies
XP
Country
WiiPower said:
On a softmodded Wii there's no speech in Eternal Darkness, but you have a modchip that is supposed to take care of that.

How do you mean 'no speech' I have speech on the opening cut scene the cop talking to the dead guy's daughter.
I haven't played the game just made sure my copy loads.

SharkSmile

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
No, it also happens through the disc channel to me. Can this be about Wiikey 2? God, why did I put that chip in my Wii in the first place...
BTW, can anyone confirm chop? Is there speech in backup version of Eternal Darkness?

SharkSmile

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
terminal_illness,
What is your Wii's region? NTSC? PAL? What is your Wiikey 2 config settings and what's your firmware (1.2,1.3 etc) And did you try Eternal Darkness?
Also which media are you using? I'm using Verbatims, tried to burn the game in 2x, 4x, 8x, 16x with no luck. Also with GeckoOS, audio fixes etc...

I have a PAL Wii and it has this problem. Probably your Wii is NTSC, so you can play it without any problems.

Tanas, i checked of course. I've turned that setting on and off, region patcher on and off, tried PAL version, NTSC version... None of them works...

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
chop said:
WiiPower said:

How do you mean 'no speech' I have speech on the opening cut scene the cop talking to the dead guy's daughter.
I haven't played the game just made sure my copy loads.

Without a modchip or any other hardare modification you can only get the speech in that game when/if using the retail disc. I'm talking about the speech directly at game startup with the text on the screen.

QUOTE(Tanas @ Jul 13 2010, 10:08 PM)
This problem only happens when trying to run it using a loader, it should work ok through the disk channel.

Exactly, thanks.

Tanas

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Checked a few forums and found that it doesnt work with the wiikey 2.
You'll need Gamecube Backup Launcher to run it using B, but the game has issues.

This is taken from the Gamecube Backup Launcher Compatibility List.
NTSC-U/-J Press 'B' to start. Works perfectly, until you die. The game resets after the Game Over screen (by design). Works on multi. Does not work shrunk. Tested on Xi/0.2. No background music in 0.3 gamma.

PAL unshrinked does not work, shrinked freeze by the video of emperor charlemagne/Both shrinked and unshrinked boots fine with WiiGator's GC Backup Launcher version Xi. Press start to skip the intro after Video Mode selector otherwise it may freeze. Works fine with multiboot, just press start to skip intro.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Bakerman vs. Wario