Hacking Error Code 002-0102, Have I been banned?

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
Would it be? You'd think that if they did that from the start it wouldn't have taken them this long to ban. Basically all they'd have to do is check every game that goes online, read the header, see it's not from that game, and ban. If it was that easy why did they wait so long? It's much more likely that they found a group of public headers and went to town banning them.

MrJason005

√2
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Would it be? You'd think that if they did that from the start it wouldn't have taken them this long to ban. Basically all they'd have to do is check every game that goes online, read the header, see it's not from that game, and ban. If it was that easy why did they wait so long? It's much more likely that they found a group of public headers and went to town banning them.
Do headers store that kind of info?

Ericzander

Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
Do headers store that kind of info?
That's what I'm saying. I don't believe so. Some people are saying that they do. And I'm saying that if that were the case Nintendo would (or should) have done a ban wave long ago.

Platinum Lucario

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Confirmed False!

Even though Nintendo 3DS ROMs do indeed have a unique game card header and signature, Nintendo would never ban the unique console ID of any Nintendo 3DS from Nintendo Network. Why? Because anyone can use a game card in a different 3DS and so fourth. This means if Nintendo banned unique console ID, just because they noticed the same header and signature used during online multiplayer at the same time, the person who has the game card that used to be owned by the person that had dumped the ROM would also end up being blocked by Nintendo, thinking it's another duplicate of the same header and signature. Which would make it completely unfair for anyone who plays online with a game card they bought from some store. And knowing Nintendo, they would never ban unique console ID, just because they see the same header and signature used during online multiplayer.

The only times when they have to block unique console IDs of 3DS consoles... is when the person is using them for cheating in online multiplayer, such as using unlimited Bob-ombs in Mario Kart 7 while playing online.

These people that have been so-called "banned" from online playability, would've probably been using some hacks during online multiplayer in either Pokémon X/Y/OR/AS, Mario Kart 7 or any games and ended up having their 3DS unique console ID blocked. But I highly doubt they've been blocked from online multiplayer, I'd say that the person's router firewall probably has Nintendo Network's servers blocked by either domain name or IP address. That's usually what causes error code 002-0102. But also error code 002-0102 can also mean that Nintendo Network has blocked the 3DS's unique console ID.

Also, I'd recommend spreading this message around. I'm sure it will help others to know that it's either that the person has been cheating in online multiplayer or has Nintendo Network's servers blocked on their routers' firewall (via IP address or domain name).

Meteo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really? From what someone said earlier if each header is put in completely randomly when each cart is made, there's nothing to distinguish the code of one game and another. The codes aren't tied to a specific game and there is nothing saying that one code was made for some game and is being played on another.

From what I understand, each code is unique and tied to that specific cart. All Nintendo would have to do is see if the title id of the game you are playing matches that unique ID, assuming they keep track of unique IDs

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Confirmed False!

Even though Nintendo 3DS ROMs do indeed have a unique game card header and signature, Nintendo would never ban the MAC addresses of any Nintendo 3DS from Nintendo Network. Why? Because anyone can use a game card in a different 3DS and so fourth. This means if Nintendo banned MAC addresses, just because they noticed the same header and signature used during online multiplayer at the same time, the person who has the game card that used to be owned by the person that had dumped the ROM would also end up being blocked by Nintendo, thinking it's another duplicate of the same header and signature. Which would make it completely unfair for anyone who plays online with a game card they bought from some store. And knowing Nintendo, they would never ban MAC addresses, just because they see the same header and signature used during online multiplayer.

The only times when they have to block MAC addresses of 3DS consoles... is when the person is using them for cheating in online multiplayer, such as using unlimited Bob-ombs in Mario Kart 7 while playing online.

*screenshot removed*

These people that have been so-called "banned" from online playability, would've probably been using some hacks during online multiplayer in either Pokémon X/Y/OR/AS, Mario Kart 7 or any games and ended up having their 3DS MAC address blocked. But I highly doubt they've been blocked from online multiplayer, I'd say that the person's router firewall probably has Nintendo Network's servers blocked by either domain name or IP address. That's usually what causes error code 002-0102. But also error code 002-0102 can also mean that Nintendo Network has blocked the 3DS's MAC address.

Also, I'd recommend spreading this message around. I'm sure it will help others to know that it's either that the person has been cheating in online multiplayer or has Nintendo Network's servers blocked on their routers' firewall (via IP address or domain name).

So you confirmed they are doing a mac block?

bendrr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Confirmed False!

Even though Nintendo 3DS ROMs do indeed have a unique game card header and signature, Nintendo would never ban the MAC addresses of any Nintendo 3DS from Nintendo Network. Why? Because anyone can use a game card in a different 3DS and so fourth. This means if Nintendo banned MAC addresses, just because they noticed the same header and signature used during online multiplayer at the same time, the person who has the game card that used to be owned by the person that had dumped the ROM would also end up being blocked by Nintendo, thinking it's another duplicate of the same header and signature. Which would make it completely unfair for anyone who plays online with a game card they bought from some store. And knowing Nintendo, they would never ban MAC addresses, just because they see the same header and signature used during online multiplayer.

The only times when they have to block MAC addresses of 3DS consoles... is when the person is using them for cheating in online multiplayer, such as using unlimited Bob-ombs in Mario Kart 7 while playing online.

*screenshot removed*

These people that have been so-called "banned" from online playability, would've probably been using some hacks during online multiplayer in either Pokémon X/Y/OR/AS, Mario Kart 7 or any games and ended up having their 3DS MAC address blocked. But I highly doubt they've been blocked from online multiplayer, I'd say that the person's router firewall probably has Nintendo Network's servers blocked by either domain name or IP address. That's usually what causes error code 002-0102. But also error code 002-0102 can also mean that Nintendo Network has blocked the 3DS's MAC address.

It's definitely cart specific. My retail mario kart 7 is fine for multiplayer but the rip was giving me the same error code. Both were on the same 3ds. I did change the header of the mario kart rom to a private one from sonic boom but still the same error. Error 002-0102 every time.

Ericzander

Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
Platinum Lucario

Nintendo of Japan already clarified that the error code was due to using flash carts. Not due to cheating in online multiplayer mode. What you said about the potential for legit players to get banned too is true. But the same can be said about the X360 and PS3. Do you feel completely safe buying either of those consoles used thinking that they may be banned? This isn't much different than that. And the thing is there are not a whole lot of very public headers out there. The chances of someone getting the legit cart of that game is slim and I'll bet that within the rest of the 3DSes life cycle, about a handful of legit users will be screwed.

Apologies if this has been asked and answered before, but would any ban affect local multiplayer?

Thanks in advance if anyone can answer!
I asked this and was told that local multiplayer still works.

Platinum Lucario

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
So you confirmed they are doing a mac block?
Yep, that would be the only thing that Nintendo would do. Because their friend list also can't be used either. It would've indicated either a MAC address block or an IP address block. If it's only happened with one console, it would mean that it's MAC address was blocked. But if every other console they use can't connect to Nintendo Network, then their IP address would've been blocked, which would mean they could easily use someone else's internet connection and they'd be able to connect to Nintendo Network using the same console.

That's the only thing that would make sense.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Yep, that would be the only thing that Nintendo would do. Because their friend list also can't be used either. It would've indicated either a MAC address block or an IP address block. If it's only happened with one console, it would mean that it's MAC address was blocked. But if every other console they use can't connect to Nintendo Network, then their IP address would've been blocked, which would mean they could easily use someone else's internet connection and they'd be able to connect to Nintendo Network using the same console.

I'm confused as to what you are saying. So you think people are getting banned only for cheating, and not for using public headers?

Nightwish

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
shouldn't it be easy for Nintendo to keep a database of all carts ever made, with the game and the header id used?

And how easy would it be to have game publishers filling a form for every copy of every game they publish without making a single mistake? It's not going to happen.

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

To confirm the IP block, connect to a different network.

To confirm a mac block, change out the wifi card. But none of this has been confirmed.

Isn't the friends list tied in with the NNID?

Ericzander

Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
I'm confused as to what you are saying. So you think people are getting banned only for cheating, and not for using public headers?
It seems that's his claim, which would make it false. Not everyone who was banned was cheating. You'd think that they would tell us if that was the case. The only thing everyone had in common was that they were using very public headers in the days leading up to the ban. Nobody admitted to cheating (some admitted to pkhex, but not all).

If he's saying that Nintendo won't risk banning legit users because it wouldn't be "fair" then he should take a step back and wonder what's in Nintendo's best interest.

Thomas12345

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
And how easy would it be to have game publishers filling a form for every copy of every game they publish without making a single mistake? It's not going to happen.

Uh u know there are things called computers that can automate this type of thing? Whatever factory makes the cards can easily record the game and header id in a database

Reactions: Random Joe

Platinum Lucario

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
It's definitely cart specific. My retail mario kart 7 is fine for multiplayer but the rip was giving me the same error code. Both were on the same 3ds. I did change the header of the mario kart rom to a private one from sonic boom but still the same error. Error 002-0102 every time.
It sounds to me like the game you're using doesn't have the update patch applied to the game.

Platinum Lucario

Nintendo of Japan already clarified that the error code was due to using flash carts. Not due to cheating in online multiplayer mode. What you said about the potential for legit players to get banned too is true. But the same can be said about the X360 and PS3. Do you feel completely safe buying either of those consoles used thinking that they may be banned? This isn't much different than that. And the thing is there are not a whole lot of very public headers out there. The chances of someone getting the legit cart of that game is slim and I'll bet that within the rest of the 3DSes life cycle, about a handful of legit users will be screwed.
Then it sounds like it's more of a problem with Sky3DS. Since it doesn't use emuNAND, it doesn't directly load the game card header and signature. So it uses the flash card header and signature instead, which is quite possible that it has been blocked from online multiplayer. That's why I use Gateway, not Sky3DS.

That would be pretty much the case, yes. But it's most likely that the people have Nintendo Network's domain name or IP address blocked on their routers' firewall.

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It seems that's his claim, which would make it false. Not everyone who was banned was cheating. You'd think that they would tell us if that was the case. The only thing everyone had in common was that they were using very public headers in the days leading up to the ban. Nobody admitted to cheating (some admitted to pkhex, but not all).

If he's saying that Nintendo won't risk banning legit users because it wouldn't be "fair" then he should take a step back and wonder what's in Nintendo's best interest.

I guess this is the main reason why nintendo didn't provide full detail on how they were doing that, but only stated that flash cards were getting banned. So nothing has been confirmed, good try though. Homeboy did some homework, but it doesn't add up. My 3 questions still remain.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably not I got cross play friends
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    By then I'll have some little mini pc anyway
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they risk getting flagged or banned, altho spouting profanity in online play alredy does that
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Anyone dumb enough to get banned for spouting profanity deserves it.
    +1
  • Y @ YuseiFD:
    Then how come you do it and don't get banned ? or is it a question of getting caught doing it ?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wtf is the point of banning swearing in games? that's utterly a dumb decision

the new generation playing MWII won't be as hardened as the previous one playing original MW2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the point of video games? Kids playing video games won't be as hardened as the previous ones getting shoved down a hillside.
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    exactly my point
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    kids, yall are fucking pussies, grow some asshair before you even dare touch My Friend Peppa Pig or Mario's Early Years
    +1
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    ddddddddddddddddddddddd
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    my fingie hurt
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    Why?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    hangnail thing I think
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ... that's rough buddy
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    peepee
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Roll them little snake eyes in
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    :wacko: rolling?
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    make up his mind dude
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: make up his mind dude