Hacking Error #001, Brawl, huh?

enriqueiglesias

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Seems the Wii doesn't care about booktype, but of course, it never hurts to set it to DVD-ROM
wink.gif

I suspect DVD-R DL (which as all -R media can not have the booktype changed ... this can only be done in +R media) might be the one that gives the most problems BUT, when it works for you, that is, happens to work on your burner-blank media-software-recording speed combination, probably produces the best burns.

So it probably works for fewer people, but for those that works, works very well. +R type media probably works for more people, but probably results on discs that are a tad harder to read by the Wii.

This is just what I SUSPECT. No proof, no insurance, no nothing. Just what someone with some experience but not too much on these subjects THINKS or have read, but hasn't proved or tested by myself.

If you wanna know what I'm gonna do myself: I'm gonna shell out $35 and get myself a new burner. Pioneer has some new models coming out this month, so I'm gonna wait a bit to read the reviews on those. If they suck on the reviews (a LOT of times newer drives work WORSE than older models, so newer models are no insurance of a better success rate), then I'll get myself that Samsumg everyone raves about HN23 or something, (can't remember, just google for burner reviews). If people say the new Pioneers are good, I'll probably go for one of those (a tad more expensive, I think, but still under $50 bucks). And will stick with Verbatim media +R media only, as it works on my Xbox360, but will keep on buying other brands and testing everynow and then to see if I can find another brand that doesn't give me many coasters.

kingofkingz24

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here are directions to get a succesful DVD9 copy of Super Smash Brothers Brawl to Work!

If you havent already, burn the DVD5 version, patch it with regionfrii or brickblocker doesnt matter.
(make sure your config disk is set to region override)
Insert the game and let it update 100% , make sure the game works!(2 japanese duplicate channels will appear)

Burn the DVD9 version, no need to patch with anything.

Insert the disk and it will automatically play.! thats it. NOT complicated at ALL!!

NTSC wii with Wiikey 1.9g
Toshiba DL Burner
Memorex DL disk+r 8x
Imgburn 4x

dirty_harry

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
today i will purchase either a 112D pioneer or a 212D pioneer. Both are known for their DL burning capabilities (speedlabs.org).

Along with the burner, im buying some DL media (whatever they have im buying a few of each).

Wish me luck, i will report with quite an extensive post in around 2 hours.

Till then, peace.

alias

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
alias you need to get dual layer dvd's if you have the 8gb iso. If you are using DL discs, what release are you burning, the 8GB one or the 4.5 gb one? If its the 8gb one, what burner are you using and at what speed? If it doesn't even update, that means its not even recognizing the disc. BTW if you have a JAP wii you do not need region override on...

Harry.

Hey Harry, I'm actually using the 4.37 version, single layer, "Dairantou Smash Brothers X DVD5". I can use a normal DVD for it right?

Fish on a Stick

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Whoa 25? Nah no update yet, only one of my mates has a dual layer burner, so I gotta wait till he gets back from TAFE. I'll be buying around 6 DL dvds to test them out today (Verbatim, Memorex and Fuji).

dirty_harry

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ugh they set me back 30 bucks... have you got a msy around you? Yeah i know 25+R DL discs in a spindle for 30 bucks is a good fkn deal.

I have a LOT to try it with now hahaha

dirty_harry

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
but thats awesome you get a nice variety there...i have ONE verbatim +R right here, apart from that all i got is 25 ritek(ridata) DL discs.

Im going to hunt around in my 'lunch' break at work and goto the sony shop and whatnot and get some more DL discs...

+'es and -'es, that is.

My first experiment is at 65% right now, doing it with imgburn, both buffers are at 100% (steady), burning at 2.4X. Im going to "verify" this one, see if that changes anything. The burner is the new pioneer 215bk. The dude at MSY swore that it was a great dl burner, i threatened him and said it better fkn work or i want a 212D. He was cool with that though...

Fish on a Stick

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
That's a sick deal, the 6 dvds I'm getting'll probably cost me 30 bucks as well lol. But if these don't work I'm giving up for a while, wouldn't have any time to do more than that, going away on a trip tomorrow.

dirty_harry

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
and the winner is...

SUCCESS!!!

it worked.

Detailed settings below:

Drive: 215bk
media: ritek s04 DVD +R DL (retail name is ridata)
program: imgburn 2.3
speed: 2.4X
book type: DVD (default)

Did not verify the disc.

This is amazing I'm loving it. It works without a single problem. The screen flickers a bit, but i changed that through the options (theres a screen with a "D" in it, turn that setting OFF).

I will test this badboy for a while and see what happens.

Good luck fish on a stick, the new dvd drive certainly worked for me! 215bk i love you!

Peace out,

Harry.

enriqueiglesias

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
So in short:

Make sure your wii is already updated to 3.1 version. Japanese wii's don't have to follow this advice and can ignore this paragraph. Look in the wii configuration menu and check if you have 3.1e or 3.1u, depending on your region. If you do not, do not try anything else. Just update by connecting your wii to the internet and accepting the update. If you can't connect to the internet, you may update if you are from europe by running the game Donkey Kong Jet Racer PAL or Wii Chess PAL. I don't know of games in the USA NTSC-U region with 3.1u updates, sorry. Still, check that you have the update on the menu.

Now you are ready to try this game using the two possible options:

Option A)
-Burn the dvd9 version. If your modchip has automatic multiregion support enabled (or is japanese), you don't need to run regionfrii on the iso before you burn it. Otherwise, you do. It never "hurts" to run regionfrii, so there.

-Run the game. It will ask you to update. Accept the update and let it run to 100%. You are done.

The only problem with this option is that it will leave you with duplicated weather and news channels.

Option B)
-Burn the dvd9 version or, alternatively, if you don't want to waste a DL disc, burn the DVD5 version. If your modchip has automatic multiregion support enabled (or is japanese), you don't need to run regionfrii on the iso before you burn it. Otherwise, you do. It never "hurts" to run regionfrii, so there.

-Run this disc. It will ask you to update. Accept the update and let it run to only about 15%. Then you unplug you wii from the power cable. You no longer need this disc ever again.

-Burn the dvd9 version to a DL disc, but use brick-blocker (the new version) on the iso before you burn it this second time. If your modchip has automatic multiregion support enabled (or is japanese), you don't need to run regionfrii on the iso before you burn it. Otherwise, you do. It never "hurts" to run regionfrii, so there.

-Use this second disc from now on.

This option B doesn't leave you duplicated channels.

If you run into problems, SERIOUSLY suspect that your burner can not produce good DL burns (even if you've never had problems before), but check with a couple of different brands of blank media first, specially at 2,4X speed.

Seraph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So you guys have gotten rid of that Error #001 or fixed some crashing problems? Or both? My friend burned my DL copy but I get the #001 when directly trying to boot it, plays fine though. I'm getting a DL burner myself now, probably a Pioneer 115DBK, so would like to know.

EDIT: I'm mostly just asking if you guys have been able to directly boot a Brickblocked copy without getting the #001 error. As I've said, I do not get errors from ingame(or haven't so far).

Fish on a Stick

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
We haven't fixed anything, just figured out that the error is due to a bad burn, so if you keep getting the errors it is most likely your burner and you should try a new one. Dirty Harry just confirmed that pioneer 215bk works great.

dirty_harry

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
All right, time for an update.

I don't actually recommend the Ritek's in retrospect now that I have played for about 3 hours. Ok the game runs fine, but it does unfortunately sometimes freeze (not during movies but during story mode fights...strange i know). It also made some extra sound from the drive which i wasn't very impressed with.

Lucky for me though, i had that one last Verbatim DVD+R, so i threw that in and tested the same story mode mission and it worked fine. No freezes what so ever.

I do need some more time testing this extensively, but I'm going to go ahead and say the Verbatim DVD+R is working perfectly.

Just to further test this, I'm buying another verbatim DVD-R DL today and comparing my 3 working normal booting discs.

I will report with my results of these tests probably noon tomorrow.

I will have a Smash party tomorrow with a few friends at my place...let the brawl begin!

I strongly recommend the 215bk, its an outstanding burner, it has 20X DL and 10X DL burning capabilities, it has amazing quality DL burns, and on top of that the firmware is very customizable and its CHEAP! $35 at good old msy.

Seraph, i wouldn't get that drive, not only from a brawl playing angle, but from a future proofing angle also. Get a sata drive, such as the pioneer 2 series. The 212D is a very well known drive...if msy had any in stock today i would've bought one, but the 215bk is supposed faster (and more expensive) so i ended up with the 215bk.

enriqueiglesias, what was the way of deleting the dupe channels? i believe you posted on wiinewz a untested method...i would be willing to try it.

Seraph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Still wondering about the #001 problem. Are you directly booting the DVD9 and not getting the error?

What are the advantages of the 215 over the 115? I was also planning to use this with the 115 if it was possible. I planned on getting a 215 but I didn't really look for a good place to buy them. I'd like to be able to use it on my notebook but I could just put in my sister's desktop...

I read that the DVR-115D works great with 360 games(part of which is why I'm buying a new burner). From the little I've read the 215 just gets higher speeds?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Interesting. The macphone +2