Hacking Error #001, Brawl, huh?

alias

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm getting the same error! My Wii is 3.1J, 1.9g, and I used the 1.3 config disk to set region override on. So far I've tried Memorex DVD-R burned with Nero and imgBurn.; however, I have had no luck. The wii doesn't do so much as to update my wii.
The thing that bothers me the most is that since the game is japanese and my wii is japanese, I shouldn't get an error, right?

dirty_harry

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
enrique, i guess the dw1650 its about 2 years old id say. This is a common point we have...not so great burners in the DL compartment. It pisses me off that people are not reporting their damned burners, save for a few. We may be onto something here...

I'm buying a brand new model pioneer 212DL tomorrow early in the morning, along with 25 ritek dvd-R DL discs and 2 (or 4) Verbatim DVD+R DL's. I"m not actually going to burn anything tonight, seeing as the 212 pioneer can have a shot at it. If this works, it will be a small victory, but a victory nonetheless. If we do succeed, it will be a sensation of accomplishment which i have not felt for a long time.

Its the journey, not the destination they say.

Soldier on comrades.

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Welcome to the world of DVD+/- DL burning. Don't so much as fart in the same room as the machine that's burning the DVD or expect a coaster.

Turn off all background programs, initiate the burn at 2.4x and go do the dishes and laundry.

dirty_harry

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
alias you need to get dual layer dvd's if you have the 8gb iso. If you are using DL discs, what release are you burning, the 8GB one or the 4.5 gb one? If its the 8gb one, what burner are you using and at what speed? If it doesn't even update, that means its not even recognizing the disc. BTW if you have a JAP wii you do not need region override on...

Harry.

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
OP
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
SUCCESS!

The drive was a Sony dw-Q58A.

My Fujitsu drive failed terribly.

Moral of the story:
DO NOT USE LAPTOP FUJITSU DRIVES

Thanks GBAtemp members for the kind words, records, and reccomendations. I would probably have gave up after teh second disc otherwise.

Although damn... four blank DVDs. At that point I wasn't doin' it for teh Brawl, I was doin' it because I was was pretty determined after two coasters.

dirty_harry

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thats awesome news man, awesome.

Now lets see if my "new" 212D pioneer will be able to follow suite. I really hope it does. I'm happy for you man, i knew if we worked together and didn't give up we would succeed.

So this WAS a bad burn problem, i suspected as much.

Cool, I will report tomorrow with my personal results.

Till then, peace.

Harry.

EDIT: now that i think of it, i do remember some 'odd' things during my burns. Firstly, using imgburn, the device buffer kept dropping to 19% then to 86% then to 90%. I didn't think that was normal right off the bat...

As for my second burn, using clonecd, both the buffer bars were at 0% for the entire burn and the disc didn't even sound like it was spinning. If you see these symptoms, be warned and don't waste more DL discs like i did!

Lets see what happens tomorrow, I'm already excited...

My testing setup has changed a bit. I will produce one disc at 4X, and one at 8X and maybe even one at 2.4 and report on the stability (crashes errors etc...) for each specifying the media and burner used (most likely will all be 212D).

Heran Bago, what media and at what speed did you write that working disc?

Cheers,

Harry.

shane1972

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hi,

My question is if i just get the dvd9 version and use the newest brick blocker will it load on my wii with the mp 15% trick.
I have a pal wii with wiikey and 1.9g.

Cheers

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
OP
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States

Now lets see if my "new" 212D pioneer will be able to follow suite. I really hope it does. I'm happy for you man, i knew if we worked together and didn't give up we would succeed.

Till then, peace.

Harry.

EDIT: now that i think of it, i do remember some 'odd' things during my burns. Firstly, using imgburn, the device buffer kept dropping to 19% then to 86% then to 90%. I didn't think that was normal right off the bat...

As for my second burn, using clonecd, both the buffer bars were at 0% for the entire burn and the disc didn't even sound like it was spinning. If you see these symptoms, be warned and don't waste more DL discs like i did!

My testing setup has changed a bit. I will produce one disc at 4X, and one at 8X and maybe even one at 2.4 and report on the stability (crashes errors etc...) for each specifying the media and burner used (most likely will all be 212D).

Cheers,

Harry.

Ah! Sorry to get back to you so late.

I used Verbatim DVD+R DL as stated earlier. This burn was done at 2X on a Sony drive using Imgburn.

shane1972, I believe you need two, one with brickblocker and one without. Check the local topics. It's a shame search is disabled.

shane1972

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hi,

Can someone please confirm that if i get the dvd9 version and have 1 normal .iso and then 1 with the latest brick blocker will it work?
Also can the language be changed to english?

Cheers

shark1987

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
yes brickblocker works with two discs and the language can't be changed. but this isn't the thread to ask questions like that. you could have found those answers in about three or four of the other topics in this forum

and as for my situation, I burned one more @ x2.4 with IMGBURN and on this one I don't get a #001 error but i do get disc read errors on all the videos yet again. so i'm not really sure what else to try so i might just stick with VS. mode until US version comes out.

epu708

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Indonesia

Till then, peace.

Harry.

Cheers,

Harry.

Ah! Sorry to get back to you so late.

I used Verbatim DVD+R DL as stated earlier. This burn was done at 2X on a Sony drive using Imgburn.

shane1972, I believe you need two, one with brickblocker and one without. Check the local topics. It's a shame search is disabled.

so your solution for your case is
try another burner
same verbatim + DL
imgburn
2,4x

anything else?
is the speed really matter?

dirty_harry

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
epu708,

The solution at this moment seems to be better burner. This is the general solution to this problem. Find yourself a burner with good DL burning capabilities.

212D is apparently the best Dual Layer burner available at this point in time. I would recommend the Verbatim + DL disc, as we have seen that working better. As for the speed, stick to 2.4X. If youre going to actually buy some DL discs, buy 2 or 3, just to be sure, and also to have for later (for the US and or PAL releases).

Summary:

Good DL burner.
Good Media (Verbatims are fine and are easily found)
Imgburn as the program.
2.4 to 4X - I would try 2.4 at first, if that fails then goto 4.

before you do any of this, remember to brickblock your 8gb iso if you haven't already!

Have fun.

dirty_harry

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ok people, i couldn't help myself and am blasting one of my two Verbatim DL discs right now... the Verbatim DVD-R DL is being burnt on using imgburn off my laptop, the laptop has a HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T10N burner (8 month old lappy) :S i know i have a bad feeling about this as well. But I just want to know!

Burn speed supported are 2 and 4 X in the imgburn log thing... im burning at 2X

It just started burning and it estimates 47min remaining and also the device buffer and buffer are at a steady 100% which is reassuring at this stage...

wish me luck, i will report in 55 minutes with my results!

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
Harry, what booktype are you currently using? (Normal or DVD-ROM)

Try switching to the other one, make another burn on a +R, and report back.
smile.gif
I have a feeling this might work.

dirty_harry

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I dont want to risk it on the trash DVD burner of my Laptopm i will have a pioneer 212D at 12 oclock tomorrow, i will report with that!

Thanks for your contibution coolbho3000! I will definitely try this on my remaining +R dvd.

Oh man im so pumped about COH: opposing fronts right now hahaha

I will report right after my burn completes tomorrow

What speed do you recommend?

as for the booktype, im using whatever imgburn uses by default... perhaps i should try with nero 6.6 or clonecd? what is your suggestion?

Fish on a Stick

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
PAL Wii
Wiikey 1.9g
Firmware 3.1E

DVD9 100% update, never used dvd5. No Brickblocker or RegionFrii.
Verbatim DVD+R DL
IMGburn 2.4x speed and 4x speed
LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1S

I've got a question for you guys though, hope you can answer it. I did the 100% update with the dvd9, what if I got the dvd5 version would I be able to do the swap trick? Or did I somehow ruin my chances of it working at all.

dirty_harry

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
No you didn't lose all chances. Just buy more blank DL's and get a different Burner drive, i think the 212D will make this thing happen, wait till tomorrow i will tell you if it works.

You and i are pretty much in the exact same position Fish. As for the swap trick, it wont work, read the OP, you will freeze in the parts where the second layer would be read from (story mode etc...)

enriqueiglesias

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yeah,

General recomendations are: if your burner is older than about two years it probably sucks on DL recording. Exception may be CERTAIN pioneer models when used with CERTAIN (oldish) Verbatim media only (labeled DVD+R DL 2.4x-6x and manufactured in Singapore ... the same media manufactured in India doesn't work for most Xbox360 consoles, i.e.).

If your burner is a laptop burner over 1 year old, it probably sucks too.

Current well considered burners are a certain model by Samsung (sorry, can't remeber which) and some models by Pioneer.

Of course most of current burners do a decent enough job on QUALITY dual media, but those are just general recommendations based on EXTENSIVE experience by the people on the Xbox360 scene, which has been burning games for their consoles for many months now (all Xbox games are Dual Layer and the Xbox has 4 different drive models, most of which suck INCREDIBLY as to which media can be read and which can not).

Of course, some Wii's are going to be better at reading DL media than others (some might be a little "dirty" or just have their laser tuned a bit too low), so some people are going to be able to get by just fine with a shitty-burn while others are going to need top quality media on top quality recorders to actually make it work.

Such is the state of Dual Layer recording in the industry. A big mess where one can NOT just recomend just a single blank disk model and a Burner model and a recording speed (BTW, for Dual Layer, this is always 2,4X ... sometimes exceptionally 4X works a bit better on some media-burner combinations, but never above that).

So your experience may vary and you MUST try at least two different brands of blank discs, two recording speeds and two drives before you suspect your problem may be anything else. Recording software SHOULDN'T make a difference, but sometimes screw up on some combination of drives-and-media (rare), so you may want to try two different recording softwares too (imgburn, clonecd, nero, these all should work the same and just fine).

Once you find a burner-media combination that works well on your Wii, stick with it. But it may still fail a few times on specific games (as happens sometimes with regular single layer games), so you still may want to try other brands of blanks eventually to see if you find one with even better results. Some people has good success rates with TDK and Ridisc labeled DVD+R DL media. But again, each person must find what works best for his burner and his Wii.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ptLqnNMcQk