ENLBufferPwn: Severe vulnerability in first party 3DS, Wii U and Switch games

enlbufferpwn_logo.png

ENLBufferPwn (CVE-2022-47949) is a vulnerability in the network code used in many first party Nintendo games since the 3DS. Combined with the right techniques, it allows remote code execution in the victim's console by just having an online game session with the attacker. The vulnerability was discovered by multiple people independently during 2021 and reported to Nintendo during 2021/2022. The severity of the vulnerability has been calculated as 9.8/10 (Critical) by the CVSS 3.1 calculator.

Combined with other OS vulnerabilities, full remote console takeover can be achieved. This has been demonstrated in the case of Mario Kart 7, where a payload is sent to launch SafeB9SInstaller. However, it is theoretically possible to do other malicious activities, such as stealing account/credit card information or taking unauthorized audio/video recordings using the console built-in mic/cameras.

Here is a list of games that are known to have had the vulnerability at some point (all the Switch and 3DS games listed have received updates that patch the vulnerability, so they are no longer affected):
  • Mario Kart 7 (fixed in v1.2)
  • Mario Kart 8 (still not fixed)
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (fixed in v2.1.0)
  • Animal Crossing: New Horizons (fixed in v2.0.6)
  • ARMS (fixed in v5.4.1)
  • Splatoon (still not fixed)
  • Splatoon 2 (fixed in v5.5.1)
  • Splatoon 3 (fixed in late 2022, exact version unknown)
  • Super Mario Maker 2 (fixed in v3.0.2)
  • Nintendo Switch Sports (fixed in late 2022, exact version unknown)
  • Probably more...
Below you can find proof of concept videos showcasing the vulnerability in Mario Kart 7 and Mario Kart 8.

A full report of the vulnerability can be found in the following GitHub repository.
:arrow: Full vulnerability report (GitHub)

Last edited by PabloMK7,

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
Don’t store payment details on your console, use 2FA - always been my policy. Recommend that others do the same.

Use digital one use cards. Even if you delete them, with some companies history I wouldn't be surprised the infor prevailed somehow in their servers.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder how far up the line it can go on the Switch.
It's an entry point, so you won't get a full hack without chaining it to a kernel exploit etc. Unfortunately those are believed not to exist on current firmware, but if someone has a console on old firmware that's already susceptible to pegascape, they could probably exploit it through Mario Kart instead for the lols.

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Lmao, not only is their online services complete ass, now this too! Has this crap like ever happened on them Sony consoles or Microsoft? Genuinely asking because I'm not sure, heh.
At least it seems they've been stepping up their game to fix this shit, but damn, just... Craptendo and anything regarding the internet are basically opposites of each other, heh.

PopcornSweetie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lmao, not only is their online services complete ass, now this too! Has this crap like ever happened on them Sony consoles or Microsoft? Genuinely asking because I'm not sure, heh.
At least it seems they've been stepping up their game to fix this shit, but damn, just... Craptendo and anything regarding the internet are basically opposites of each other, heh.
All i know is that both Sony and Microsoft got their servers hacked a couple or times (especially in the PS3/X360 era)

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
There was the Sony 2011 hack. Their PSN internet was down for almost a whole month, 23 days. I remember that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1