Translation English translation for Okaeri! Chibi-Robo! Happy Richie Ōsōji!

• Thread starter Cjuub
  • Start date
  • Views 111,204
  • Replies 169
  • Likes 36

Cjuub

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
About the Game
This game is a successor to the original Chibi-Robo for the Gamecube. The game follows the concept of the original game closely, while still introducing many new gameplay elements. The game takes place a couple of years after the original game's story, where little Jenny now has grown up and has a family of her own. However, they live a hard life dealing with poverty and a very dirty home. But that's where Chibi-Robo comes to save the day. It's up to him to make their lives better and solve the problems of the family and the toys found around the house. And of course to get rid of that filthy dirt everywhere!

About the Project
I've spent the last 8 months working with this project, spending pretty much all of my spare time on getting it complete. It's been a very rewarding project for me since I got to practice a lot of Japanese (which I'm still in the process of learning), and coding/romhacking is fun! I've always wanted to see this game translated ever since its release, but the previous attempts of translating it never gave any fruit. It may be a bit late to the party, and many have already lost interest in this game... But now it's here, fully in English! It's a great game, and you should definitely play it if you liked the original.

About the Patch
This patch will make the game a 100% in English, though it's still in beta and translation errors are likely. It requires the ROM of the original game to be used. You can apply it either by following the instructions in the README found on GitHub for the project, or by using the program xdelta (http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/598/) to apply the patch available for download under the Releases page on GitHub. Mac users should be able to use MultiPatch (http://projects.sappharad.com/tools/multipatch.html).

* Please do not mirror the patch elsewhere.
* Do not share a pre-patched ROM.

Contribute to the Final Patch
It's very hard to trigger all possible dialogue during a playthrough, it's not something I can do alone. Therefore some dialogue may be incorrect. If you find any obvious errors, or would like to reformulate unclear translations, you can contribute by fixing the errors yourself in the repository at GitHub, then perform a Pull Request so that I can review and accept the changes. If you don't want to fix the error yourself, post it as an Issue on GitHub and I'll look into it. Remember to include all necessary info to pinpoint the error location (such as what is being said).

I'm not having high hopes here, but if enough errors are corrected in the next couple of months, I will compile them into a new patch, which will be the final.

Credits
Cjuub - Everything
todd-p - Corrections
ObiKKa - Corrections
kira - Help figuring out some low resolution kanji
Sora de Eclaune - English game title

Downloads
https://github.com/cjuub/okaeri-chibi-translation/releases

* If you use this patch, please show appreciation by starring the project on GitHub, liking this post and/or dropping a comment of thanks in this thread.

GitHub Repositories
The actual translation:
https://github.com/cjuub/okaeri-chibi-translation

GUI used to assist the script translation:
https://github.com/cjuub/okaeri-translation-viewer

Screenshots
xyPfFD2.png
mKDAuEW.png
jE1bbsJ.png
JCp4m7z.png
sSnpOE3.png
GZPcxB5.png
GvohJsh.png
bSvvgma.png
fPdemek.png
wMJVP8H.png
lOnz4cK.png
3YSSYhq.png
mjxsohE.png
0lJTSdS.png
BpyHWPi.png
dLlCl5I.png
YkPX27r.png
6xJMuR3.png
8qANrgP.png
RALcjhu.png
tWLEydo.png

Original post:
For the past few months I've been working on a translation of the game "Okaeri! Chibi-Robo! Happy Richie Ōsōji!" when time allowed me to. I've written some tools both for the extraction and insertion of graphics and dialog text. So that part should pretty much be complete. I've also made some scripts for automating the extraction/insertion/build processes, which in turn allows for quick testing.

I started this project as a fun way for me to practice my Japanese knowledge. And while I'm by no means perfect in either Japanese or English, I think I'm qualified enough for translating this game because of its very simple dialog (it's aimed at kids after all). So far I've translated about half of the dialogs in the game, and some graphics, in a more literal way (with many errors due to lack of context, etc.).

The translation, instructions to use it and all the tools are available at:

Also, I've written a GUI editor for the dialog text, with nice features such as showing a preview of how the text will look in game (kinda accurate, not perfect). It's available here:

Anyways, the reason I create this thread now is that I'd appreciate some help with the remaining translations and error corrections. So if you're interested in helping out and have GOOD knowledge of the following:

* Japanese and English. Of course.
* How to use Git.
* Have either played the original Chibi-Robo for Gamecube, or this game in Japanese. (Optional but recommended)

Then please contact me.

Oh, and I'm in no way affiliated with the other translation project for this game on this site. The reason I didn't help out with that one was that I felt it was a bit unorganized and slow (no offense, you've done some nice work). I also wanted to make all the tools myself, since that's the best part!

Anyways, here's some screenshots:
NmGBQFN.png
RjtJXk6.png
36koZaO.png
ml0xRX8.png
ZdyTdIs.png
60NQe7Z.png

Last edited by Cjuub,

rastsan

8 baller, Death Wizard,
Trophies
Website
rastsan.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Canada
Actually any work done was done at the request of someone else. I will be happy to have that thread closed if you are serious as the person I started it for hasn't contacted me for a very very long time. They wouldn't take my word for it that the text had been inserted and works then they just kinda lost interest.
Good luck with this one. (I can finally delete that repo for this game...)

Cjuub

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Actually any work done was done at the request of someone else. I will be happy to have that thread closed if you are serious as the person I started it for hasn't contacted me for a very very long time. They wouldn't take my word for it that the text had been inserted and works then they just kinda lost interest.
Good luck with this one. (I can finally delete that repo for this game...)

There's no need to delete things. This project is far from done, and your translation may be more accurate than mine at parts, which could be good for comparisons. How much of the dialog did you guys translate? From what I can see in the google docs, only the Family bmg was done, or do you have a private repo with more translations?

rastsan

8 baller, Death Wizard,
Trophies
Website
rastsan.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Canada
too late deleted...
I don't mess around with this stuff. You have about 10 minutes before the google sheets is deleted as I have yet to get to that. But the image repo has already been removed.
As to translated material you would have to ask the second poster in that thread. If you get them to respond tell them I said hi and sorry.

edit too late google links deleted. I didn't do anything but dump if there is anything translated it would be by that second poster.

Last edited by rastsan, , Reason: time passed.

lnc0

Trophies
XP
Country
This is saweeeeeet, thanks you so much for this, can't wait for it!

Can I ask when you say 'half of the dialogue' for this game is done, do you mean for just the story? Is all the game-play relevant text needed to beat the game translated?

Cjuub

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
This is saweeeeeet, thanks you so much for this, can't wait for it!

Can I ask when you say 'half of the dialogue' for this game is done, do you mean for just the story? Is all the game-play relevant text needed to beat the game translated?
I was at 50% when I created the thread, right now it's about 65% according to my editor. This includes all the scripts in the game, story and the toys. I'd say everything is needed in order to beat the game, so no, It's not ready to be played yet.
It's also important to note that most of this is still literal translations which I translate by guessing the context, i.e. a lot of it is blatantly wrong. :P I'm playing the game a bit casually by the side sometimes and fix every error I encounter. You're free to try it out anytime, building the rom is easy enough (cygwin may bit bitchy for windows user though).

The plan is to translate everything, then read through it, then do a complete play through and fix as much as possible... Eventually I'll release a beta patch where I will ask you guys here to report any errors you find.

I'm going to start working on my masters thesis next week though, so progress speed will probably drop a bit then if no one joins me.

Goofy Time

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Goodie! Hope this gets project sees it to full completion.

It was always kinda weird this game was skipped over. I have to imagine the second game being Walmart exclusive led to abysmal sales, so they held off until the 3DS with digital releases and Amiibos.

Cjuub

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for your support guys!

Just thought I'd do a quick progress report:
- The script is right now at 80% (literal translation), 6141 lines out of 7676!
- I found out something is broken in my image insertion when some new images were added, so corruptions are happening among the main screen costumes right now. Will look into this later.
- Progress speed is suffering a bit due to school, but I'm trying to at least get a few lines translated every day! I hope to get the literal translation done before the year end, but it will more realistically be in January sometime. (Take all of my time estimates with a grain of salt.)

Been playing the game for about 15-20 hours now, it's really good. It's what Chibi-Robo should be, not like those crappy spinoffs. Makes me feel more motivated to get this translation done. :P

Pablitox

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Thanks for your support guys!

Just thought I'd do a quick progress report:
- The script is right now at 80% (literal translation), 6141 lines out of 7676!
- I found out something is broken in my image insertion when some new images were added, so corruptions are happening among the main screen costumes right now. Will look into this later.
- Progress speed is suffering a bit due to school, but I'm trying to at least get a few lines translated every day! I hope to get the literal translation done before the year end, but it will more realistically be in January sometime. (Take all of my time estimates with a grain of salt.)

Been playing the game for about 15-20 hours now, it's really good. It's what Chibi-Robo should be, not like those crappy spinoffs. Makes me feel more motivated to get this translation done. :P
That's a lot of progress! Good luck!

Taser9090

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great! I've been waiting for rastsan's project to be complete for awhile now. It's a shame it had to go to waste.

I've been playing Zip Lash for awhile and I remembered how quirky the GCN game was. I can't wait for this!

Lakum

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
This translation is not yet complete.

For the past few months I've been working on a translation of the game "Okaeri! Chibi-Robo! Happy Richie Ōsōji!" when time allowed me to. I've written some tools both for the extraction and insertion of graphics and dialog text. So that part should pretty much be complete. I've also made some scripts for automating the extraction/insertion/build processes, which in turn allows for quick testing.

I started this project as a fun way for me to practice my Japanese knowledge. And while I'm by no means perfect in either Japanese or English, I think I'm qualified enough for translating this game because of its very simple dialog (it's aimed at kids after all). So far I've translated about half of the dialogs in the game, and some graphics, in a more literal way (with many errors due to lack of context, etc.).

The translation, instructions to use it and all the tools are available at:

Also, I've written a GUI editor for the dialog text, with nice features such as showing a preview of how the text will look in game (kinda accurate, not perfect). It's available here:

Anyways, the reason I create this thread now is that I'd appreciate some help with the remaining translations and error corrections. So if you're interested in helping out and have GOOD knowledge of the following:

* Japanese and English. Of course.
* How to use Git.
* Have either played the original Chibi-Robo for Gamecube, or this game in Japanese. (Optional but recommended)

Then please contact me.

Oh, and I'm in no way affiliated with the other translation project for this game on this site. The reason I didn't help out with that one was that I felt it was a bit unorganized and slow (no offense, you've done some nice work). I also wanted to make all the tools myself, since that's the best part!

Anyways, here's some screenshots:
NmGBQFN.png
RjtJXk6.png
36koZaO.png
ml0xRX8.png
ZdyTdIs.png
60NQe7Z.png

Could you put this translation on http://www.romhacking.net/ .

zaxxonq

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
ZaxxonQ.com
XP
Country
United States
I had no idea this game even EXISTED! I was just Googling around after getting Zip-Lash tonight for Christmas and learned of this awesome hidden gem! I can't wait to jump into your translation once it is complete! I very much appreciate your hard work and dedication! ^_^

Cjuub

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Time for another progress report!

- The literal translation is now at 90%. HOWEVER, I discovered that two of the script files seem to be unused, containing duplicate lines and other weird stuff. Not counting these, the literal translation is actually at around 98% complete (yay! I hope).
- I've completed the game for the first time, along with all the toy sidequests, correcting script along the way.
- I hate the hokkaido dialect.
- When being awarded a rank by the army for the first time, strings not found in the script are used. I'll have to dig deeper in the ROM to be able to translate those. Luckily, this is only a few strings and is not vital to the gameplay at all.

So, most of the remaining untranslated lines are those that I lack too much context on to be able to translate. I need to see what happens in the game to do it, but triggering every possible dialog is very difficult and tedious. I'll do my best for my second playthrough though. This is something I really need help with later in order to be able to produce a good translation patch.

Anyway, I'm gonna switch focus to the graphic translation for a while now I think. And fix the errors in my insertion code.

I hope I can get a beta patch out as soon as possible. Since I'm currently doing everything myself, there's a heavy need for quality control (from you guys) to polish stuff up and fix all errors. The translation is definitely usable in its current shape (all quests are fairly well translated), but I still don't recommend playing it yet if you want the full experience.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: oh shit where??? :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: