Hacking EmuNAND to NAND System Transfer

SSJ2 Dark

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to buy a N3DS and transfer my NNID to it, but still keep my V9.2.0 3DS for RAM dumping/injecting. My understanding is that the system transfer will force my 3DS to update, and I want to prevent this from happening.

So after reading a bit, I think what I can do is boot the 3DS emuNAND (which should be a copy of the 3DS sysNAND, including the NNID linking), then initiate a system transfer from that. It'll force my emuNAND to update, but that's fine since if I do it right, it'll leave the 3DS sysNAND alone at 9.2.0. Then I get my NNID on the N3DS.

Assuming that's all right, I have just one more question:

When the 3DS emuNAND updates prior to transfer, it would normally update the 3DS sysNAND as well because I haven't unlinked them yet, correct? So to do that, I should probably format the 3DS sysNAND to unlink it from the 3DS emuNAND, which will stop it from being updated at the same time? I think that'll take care of having the NNID on both the 3DS sysNAND and N3DS sysNAND, which would probably cause a problem anyway.

Pado

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
When the 3DS emuNAND updates prior to transfer, it would normally update the 3DS sysNAND as well because I haven't unlinked them yet, correct? So to do that, I should probably format the 3DS sysNAND to unlink it from the 3DS emuNAND, which will stop it from being updated at the same time? I think that'll take care of having the NNID on both the 3DS sysNAND and N3DS sysNAND, which would probably cause a problem anyway.

No, when you do system update while running emuNAND --> only emuNAND will get updated. Linked/unlinked NNID is totally unrelated to that progress.

SSJ2 Dark

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the replies; so is that to say I can just boot emuNAND, system transfer, and I'm set? Seems pretty straightforward.

I was reading the emuNAND guide by mmn here, and I thought it was saying that if you don't unlink your sysNAND and emuNAND from each other, they wouldn't have unique locations on the SD card, so changes to one NAND would affect the other. I'll go back and read it some more until it makes sense.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-