Hacking emuNAND SD card question (DLC related)

alpha_noj

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I just got my Gateway today, and everything is set up to my liking so far. When I formatted emuNAND, I knew the SD would be erased completely so I backed everything up. However, I was under the assumption that when I copied that back onto the SD card I would still be able to access my information (DLC, primarily--some songs from Theatrhythm and Monster Hunter 3 info).

However, when I start these games again I have to create new data on the SD card--so now I fear that I'm doubling up on data on the SD card, and wasting space. Is there any way to merge that at this point, or should I just format and start fresh? I also don't want to lose the emuNAND partition, but I have already backed that up so should be fine.

Thanks for any help!

Kafke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When you format emunand or sysnand you de-link them and get a new ticket. You essentially just did what you weren't supposed to do. Go back and make a new emunand and try again. This time don't format it. It must be linked in order to access your digital content.

alpha_noj

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When you format emunand or sysnand you de-link them and get a new ticket. You essentially just did what you weren't supposed to do. Go back and make a new emunand and try again. This time don't format it. It must be linked in order to access your digital content.

But keeping them linked often leads to issues from what I'm reading, including the whole unwrapping problem right? I was trying to avoid that. So I backed up my SD first, created the emuNAND using the Gateway menu, then copied everything back onto the SD card. After that I made sure emuNAND worked fine (it did), and then formatted my sysNAND (which is backed up also) to delink them. I don't mind downloading everything again if necessary, as there isn't much, but just curious what I did wrong exactly--most guides seem to follow this format, unless I did some bass ackwards and just didn't realize it.

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But keeping them linked often leads to issues from what I'm reading, including the whole unwrapping problem right? I was trying to avoid that. So I backed up my SD first, created the emuNAND using the Gateway menu, then copied everything back onto the SD card. After that I made sure emuNAND worked fine (it did), and then formatted my sysNAND (which is backed up also) to delink them. I don't mind downloading everything again if necessary, as there isn't much, but just curious what I did wrong exactly--most guides seem to follow this format, unless I did some bass ackwards and just didn't realize it.

Ditto, I did the same method for the same reasons. Though I've not gotten on the eShop ever since I had my 3DS, so I don't know if it matters for me.

Kafke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Correct. Formatting the emunand (or sysnand) will de-link them. By de-linking them it solves the unwrapping problem (which is not a big problem if you can live with it). But de-linking also prevents you from sharing content between the two, like DLC/saves.

The content only works on the ticket/device/format that it was saved on. When you format the NAND (either one) it removes the ability for it to read your content. If you format both, you can't access the content anymore.

If you want both NANDs to read the content, they must be linked. Whether you keep them linked or de-linked is up to you. linked NANDs have some weird glitches and might delete stuff if you do certain things (like view data management) and the gift wrapping problem. But de-linked NANDs can't share content.

I personally don't own a gateway. I use the CFW/Emunand set up (as outlined in one of the guides). I didn't de-link my NANDs and don't install anything on sysnand. So the gift wrapping problem only really occurs sometimes when I boot into CFW.

Either way, the thing you want to do is also what's causing the unwrapping problem.

Reactions: alpha_noj

alpha_noj

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Correct. Formatting the emunand (or sysnand) will de-link them. By de-linking them it solves the unwrapping problem (which is not a big problem if you can live with it). But de-linking also prevents you from sharing content between the two, like DLC/saves.

The content only works on the ticket/device/format that it was saved on. When you format the NAND (either one) it removes the ability for it to read your content. If you format both, you can't access the content anymore.

If you want both NANDs to read the content, they must be linked. Whether you keep them linked or de-linked is up to you. linked NANDs have some weird glitches and might delete stuff if you do certain things (like view data management) and the gift wrapping problem. But de-linked NANDs can't share content.

I personally don't own a gateway. I use the CFW/Emunand set up (as outlined in one of the guides). I didn't de-link my NANDs and don't install anything on sysnand. So the gift wrapping problem only really occurs sometimes when I boot into CFW.

Either way, the thing you want to do is also what's causing the unwrapping problem.

Thank you very much for your patience and the explanation! Like I said, not a huge deal--I'll just redownload what I need when I need it, and all my saves are still intact which is the most important anyway. Now I just need a larger SD card to dump my games/saves where possible.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: uoiea