hugo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi,

I have a 4.5 firmware, pretty loaded with legitimate purchases from the eshop, I want to buy some more games from the eshop, but I also want to keep the 4.5 firmware.

Do I understant the following correctly:
- If I use the emunand functionality, it wil create a fresh 3DS system install on a separate partition on my SD card, next to the old environment.
- My old eshop games will still show up if I boot the 3DS normally without going into a Gateway/emunand mode.
- If I go into emunand mode, it will start a clean install, without my old games. I can't get my old eshop games in that mode.
- From the empty emunand mode, I can update and purchase new games, but they will only be usable in the emunand mode, and can't be transferred.

So in short, it's risky spending money on purchases within emunand mode as they only work there and might break with future updates?

misterb98

Moral Gateway User. Wat.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

I have a 4.5 firmware, pretty loaded with legitimate purchases from the eshop, I want to buy some more games from the eshop, but I also want to keep the 4.5 firmware.

Do I understant the following correctly:
- If I use the emunand functionality, it wil create a fresh 3DS system install on a separate partition on my SD card, next to the old environment.
- My old eshop games will still show up if I boot the 3DS normally without going into a Gateway/emunand mode.
- If I go into emunand mode, it will start a clean install, without my old games. I can't get my old eshop games in that mode.
- From the empty emunand mode, I can update and purchase new games, but they will only be usable in the emunand mode, and can't be transferred.

So in short, it's risky spending money on purchases within emunand mode as they only work there and might break with future updates?

When you create emuNAND, what it does is dump your actual NAND and place it in the SD card. You can then update to the latest version, so your orignal NAND is unaffected.

So, due to the nature of emuNAND, your past 4.5- eshop games will show up there as well.

If you want to purchase more games, they will only work in emuNAND, but if a new update is released, you do not have to update. You can also use the emuNAND tool to backup your emuNAND, in case of an accidental update. That way, you always have a copy of emuNAND with valid tickets of your games.

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
emu is a copy of sys, so you will retain all games you already installed (just back them up before you create the emu as in the process the SD gets formatted, alternatively you can redownload them).
games you buy on emu stay on emu.

and in regards to future ninty updates breaking emu functionality: no one forces you to update your emunand, so you still can play them (although not online if they require an update then in that situation).

if you buy eshop titles on emu just do regular SD backups (emu and full SD) and you'll be fine.

edit: damnation! ninjad again ;)

edit the second: good point by Veign06: GBA games don't work in the GW environment (yet), but you can still play those from sysNAND

Veign06

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do not think this is how it works, ill let someone with more experience explain it all but I believe your previous purchases eshop games should work with the exception of maybe gba games from the ambassador program? Maybe I am wrong tho.

Mariko

Trophies
XP
Country
I believe your previous purchases eshop games should work with the exception of maybe gba games from the ambassador program? Maybe I am wrong tho.

GBA games will still work in realNAND. Anything you purchase from emuNAND will only be playable in emuNAND, though. Not only because of firmware compatibility, but because of download tickets. The icons for your new purchases will show up in realNAND, but you won't be able to run that software from the original partition. Anything that isn't GBA games can be safely redownloaded from eShop to emuNAND.

hugo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Oops, the Format emunand option says:

"WARNING: This will format your 3DS SD card and delete all files. Are you sure you want to continue?"

So that would destroy any old data, including old purchases. So I should do it on a new SD card? And would that mean I'd have to reboot and switch SD cards to switch between old pre 4.5 purchases and post emunand purchased games?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
this will only work if you have a gateway card, 8.1 emunand needs the actual gateway card inserted to work with 8.1 and 7.x encrypted content

misterb98

Moral Gateway User. Wat.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oops, the Format emunand option says:

"WARNING: This will format your 3DS SD card and delete all files. Are you sure you want to continue?"

So that would destroy any old data, including old purchases. So I should do it on a new SD card? And would that mean I'd have to reboot and switch SD cards to switch between old pre 4.5 purchases and post emunand purchased games?

Just make a full backup of the SD card, and once the process is complete, copy it back on :)

hugo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
this will only work if you have a gateway card, 8.1 emunand needs the actual gateway card inserted to work with 8.1 and 7.x encrypted content

I have a Gateway card with 2.3b. How should I proceed to install emunand and preserve my old purchases?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I have a Gateway card with 2.3b. How should I proceed to install emunand and preserve my old purchases?
okay just checking as some users use emunand just for classic mode and dont own a gateway card.....so just wanted to make sure as you didnt really mention it

http://www.maxconsole.com/maxcon_forums/threads/278794-GUIDE-Step-By-Step-Gateway-3DS-Installation

thats the old seyup guide for emunand, but the steps are pretty much identical, except you can update to 8.1 now so the warning about not updating is old info.....but other than that its all the same
Saw you reply too late. Thanks!
Full backup of SD card is just copying the files to my computer? No special dump method?
Saw you reply too late. Thanks!
Full backup of SD card is just copying the files to my computer? No special dump method?

and yeah just copy the contents off and back on

hugo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thanks everyone, everything worked out. I copied my files from my SD card to computer, formatted emunand, copied backuped files back to SD (overwriting "Nintendo 3DS" folder), updated in emunand mode and bought a eshop game. That game can't be started in normal mode, but it works in Gateway/emunand mode.

Reactions: Hoppy

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://www.keepretro.com/products/miyoo-a30