Mama Looigi

If you read this, I'm now your mother
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Just a simple idea-
There’s quite a few necrobumps that are almost always threads that are found from the similar threads feature. As well as people who either don’t read the rules, or don’t read the thread date.

Maybe there could just be some indicator for those that posting in threads over a certain age could be an unwanted necrobump?

Maybe... if a thread had no responses in over a year- there could be some kind of tag? “Please don’t post here unless it is important and necessary”

Something following that general idea

Might not even have to be in the Similar threads only
Maybe the front page of a thread could have a little tag at the top after being inactive for so long

I just figured it might take a bit of the workload off- and make it easier to find people who don’t follow the rules by necrobumping even after a warning like that

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Whenever this is brought up, the usual response is "What makes you think someone who can't be bothered to read a simple date in a thread will bother reading/will care about a warning for it?"

Even having things like pop-ups and prompts don't tend to do too much to mitigate necrobumps (AFAIK, anyways), mostly because people who tend to necrobump either don't care/can't be bothered to read or think their post is important enough to bump a thread but not important enough to start a new one. And what necessarily constitutes as important for a necrobump, anyways? How is a user supposed to know if "I'm having the same problem can anyone help me???" is important or not?

I think a secondary prompt somewhere might help a little bit, but I expect most people who necrobump will just do it either way regardless of warning.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just a simple idea-
There’s quite a few necrobumps that are almost always threads that are found from the similar threads feature. As well as people who either don’t read the rules, or don’t read the thread date.

Maybe there could just be some indicator for those that posting in threads over a certain age could be an unwanted necrobump?

Maybe... if a thread had no responses in over a year- there could be some kind of tag? “Please don’t post here unless it is important and necessary”

Something following that general idea

Might not even have to be in the Similar threads only
Maybe the front page of a thread could have a little tag at the top after being inactive for so long

I just figured it might take a bit of the workload off- and make it easier to find people who don’t follow the rules by necrobumping even after a warning like that
While I see this as somewhat a good idea I personally think the best way for people to learn is by making mistakes. When I first joined the temp I was forever necro bumping without realising. I eventually got a warning from Minox and from that day on I learnt to always check the date of the last post in a thread.

Reactions: Mama Looigi

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly from a moderation perspective, and maybe this is just me, I find necrobumps to be such a non-issue. Probably the second easiest kind of report to deal with, as they fall into 3 categories for me.

1 - good necro. Do nothing.
2 - bad necro. Delete comment, lock thread (usually)
3 - meh necro. Do nothing.

If a necro is particularly egregious I might bust your balls over it and give you a hard time, but generally speaking, they're easy enough to deal with. Not only that but I honestly don't see them suuuper often either, not enough for me to even think of it as a problem.

Good time to also remind that the concept of a necrobump is totally subjective and arbitrary.

That said, I don't think emphasizing thread age on the related threads is a bad idea, but just more for information's sake, not to prevent necros.

Last edited by Sicklyboy,

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I think a better method is to just threaten people with slightly concerning threats like, "This thread is X days old, bumping it means you have an address." Mildly concerning and slightly threatening, might deter people from necrobumping.

Reactions: Mama Looigi

Julie_Pilgrim

Secretly three raccoons in a trench coat
Trophies
Website
zoey-on-github.github.io
XP
Country
United States
I think a better method is to just threaten people with slightly concerning threats like, "This thread is X days old, bumping it means you have an address." Mildly concerning and slightly threatening, might deter people from necrobumping.
if you necrobump a thread and it's more than 8 years old shuan himself will come to your house and break your legs

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 24,000 hmmmm lol