Homebrew Embedded systems on 3DS?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 1,848
  • Replies 7
D

Deleted User

OP
Is it possible to run a full embedded OS on 3DS?Not an emulator, not a shell, I mean a full OS.(And we can write programs for it)
For example, ELKS is a 16-bit Unix-like OS which only needs an 8086 and 200K RAM to run.
Another example is FreeDOS and other DOS-based OS.
Even with the overhead of interpreting x86 instructions to ARM ones, the processing power of a 3DS should be sufficient.

Last edited by ,

elhobbs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 3ds is already running an operating system. And you can already write programs for it.
I am not sure what you are asking though as you specified “not an emulator” then went on to say that the 3ds is powerful enough to emulate x86.

D

Deleted User

OP
The 3ds is already running an operating system. And you can already write programs for it.
I am not sure what you are asking though as you specified “not an emulator” then went on to say that the 3ds is powerful enough to emulate x86.
It is about "not emulator" part.The "emulator" in my post means a "simulated" OS like DOSBOX.

thisisallowed

中国御宅族
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Is it possible to run a full embedded OS on 3DS?Not an emulator, not a shell, I mean a full OS.(And we can write programs for it)
For example, ELKS is a 16-bit Unix-like OS which only needs an 8086 and 200K RAM to run.
Another example is FreeDOS and other DOS-based OS.
Even with the overhead of interpreting x86 instructions to ARM ones, the processing power of a 3DS should be sufficient.
You can, there's already Linux for the 3DS.
But, you can't run x86 OS's without emulation, since "interpreting x86 instructions to ARM ones" is literally emulation.

Reactions: RattletraPM

RattletraPM

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yes, there's already a Linux kernel port for the 3DS. Of course, being an OS ported to a platform that was never intended to run on, get ready for some strange bugs and quirks - but the last time I saw it, it actually looked pretty solid.

diegitx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
what's even better is that even the DS has a linux port.
i find it crazy, because even with that infimal amount of processing power (specially ram!) it still can run stuff like an irc client.
i know linux is very low on resource consumption, but i still find it amazing.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

though with the 3ds, i see it as more of a possible thing, that's why it doesn't shock me as much.
still a great concept AND achievement, though.

Reactions: proflayton123

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
i find it crazy, because even with that infimal amount of processing power (specially ram!) it still can run stuff like an irc client.
ho, you yongsters amaze me sometimes...
the internet relay chat exist since very early 90s, maybe even before i think?
back in the days where a 2MB of whole ram was amazingly huge

Reactions: diegitx

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, I'm here.