Hacking Elink problem

kazuya8

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hi, like in topic, i do everything acording to manual on gbatemp review; i instaled newest elink on pc (with windows 98se os), turn down it, then i conected gba sp with elink inside, via usb, to my pc. after this i opened elink software, turn on gba, theres blue manu, but no usb online mode, i waited few minutes all the same. after few houres i manage to activate usb online; couse sometimes when i opeed elink, then powered on gba, os freeze and i have to use crtl-alt-del to close msgrsv32 (not responding) after this everything back to normal, usb online apper on gba screen, but when i want to write roms always error appears;

elinkerrorjg4.png

i thing this is coused im using an old os, but from the other hand i tried other linkers some time ago on this os and everything was allright, ofcourse battery of gba is full, elink is visible in os, and im using motherboard usb slot, any hints? (exept instaling xp)

trikon000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
battery on the thing comes dead, so you have to charge it for a few hours, like 8 hours before you can use the thing. I got one.

Once you fully charge it, the "Start Burn" button becomes available to you, otherwise you will not be able to burn anything until you charge it. It uses the internal battery to maintain the link and burn, from observation mostly.

kazuya8

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
in elink flashcart menu on gba it's written v 3.3, on pc of course i have newest elink software 3.9d (i tried also older)

trikon000; i dont think that battery is dead couse it's new cart and besides i have active "burn" buttun, but when i press it some unknows error msg appears (screen)

maybe there is some 3rd party universale app wich i could use instead of orginal elink? (sadly my favorite little writter dont work...)

trikon000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh the error means you don't got enough power running throught the cable so it doesn't write, I got that same message after moving the cable to different ports on my box. you will need to use another one, try it from a usb hub with external power. also make sure it says "USB Online" on the DSL before you burn.

kazuya8

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i tried diffrent ports, also i conected cart to usb for about 10h, but didnt help. and i dont have external usb so this one i couldnt try.. i guess the only think i can do now is trying this on other pc with xp os

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
I got my Elink the other day and had a horrendous time getting it working on a Vista lappy (wouldn't work at all). Nowhere did I read it wouldn't work with Vista, so this was a bit of a surprise (after 1.5 hours of mucking around, trying different things).

I'd say that the drivers probably are XP/Windows 2000-specific, but haven't tested Windows 98 to be sure.
I would rate its sensitivity to (desktop computer) front USB ports pretty bad, too...but you are going direct to mainboard, so that can't be the problem here. I would say try an XP machine, if not, just try a different (earlier) version of the client software on http://www.gbaelink.net

Sidenote(s)
My favourite low-cost cart so far is The Extreme Flash Advance (EFA Linker), despite rudimentary loader, their website being a shambles and the cart being a reported no-go zone for Nvidia nforce chipsets (I wonder if that applies to all the Nforce chipsets and/or just Nvidia's IDE drivers?).

I tried the EZ-Flash IV cart (MiniSD slot) as well and can't tolerate waiting for it to copy stuff from the MiniSD as you go to start a game. Might be a small point to some but not to me. Despite this, I'll still use it and see if I can get over myself
wink.gif

All in all, I like the EFA the best by far.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill