Hacking Easiest, foolproof way to flash a DS Lite

TheVirus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Uganda
If you're worried about flashing the DS Lite, fear not. It's incredibly easy with the following setup. There's literally a 0% chance of screwing it up.

Get a piece of paper and cut it so it's small enough to fit in the SR1 hole but wide enough to cover most of it up.

ds1.jpg

Then just take your flashing tool, in my case it was a rusty old nail with tin foil and tape. The tape is such a pain in the ass to stick to the nail + foil so I basically forced it to stick together and then wrap it around the nail. It's not pretty, but it worked well. I cut off any excess if it was too fat, which it was.

ds2.jpg

With this, run the flashme.bin/flashme.nds and get it at 0%. Turn the DS over, or stand it on the side like I did and wiggle the tool around. There is a sweet spot in there and it'll make the % climb in about 10 seconds. Since I had a replacement plan on my DS, I didn't care if it bricked. I forced the nailfoil in there and wiggled it around until the spot was found. Due to the paper on the side, the nail never made contact with VR1.

If there is anyone out there that is worried about flashing or does it for a living, this is definitely the way to go.

Another way would be to use a coffee straw, but I have none. The paper was the perfect insulator and made this a painless job. Now I don't need my Super Key anymore and my battery life will go up dramatically.

If you haven't flashed your DS Lite yet because you are nervous or scared, try this. It's basically guaranteed success, unless the paper falls out.

PS: With the paper, it's wise to bend the top portion of it towards the power switch/stylus holder. This will balance the paper so it does fall to the other side or move around. Once the tool is inside, it really doesn't matter.

For ultra added security you can fold your paper into a Z type shape, where the bottom part of the paper will cover some of the SR1 contuctive metal. This will cause your tool to rest on it and hold it in place, but it will also allow the tool to make contact with both sides as long as the bottom part of the Z (That's ZEEE you Brits
smile.gif
) isn't too long.

Enjoy and share your experiences/ideas.

TheVirus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Uganda
Well, it just requires the user to be patient for about 2 minutes. Honestly, there's no reason why this should NOT work for you.

TheVirus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Uganda
Because people get stupid/impatient and wiggle it around too much and hit the VR metal and brick their DS. From idling in ndstemp on EFNet for the past week or so, I've seen a lot of people complain about that and asking for help. This put me off completely from flashing until I found the paper solution. I asked if it was possible to practice and I found out that it was not, so I went ahead and did it.

Worked fine, no problems. I just think using something other than tape to insulate the nailfoil would bring about a better success rate.

I'm just trying to help people who are truly scared of losing their $130+ investment.

XeNoGeaR

Trophies
Website
www.topgames.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
sorry but we already knew from that paper sollution...every stupid fag can imagine that...anyway...

toothpick+tinfoil+tape and leave a small top open worked fine for me went straigt from 50 - 100 in a few seconds...... no problem so far......paper is better yes...but theres NOT 0% to brick it... make it 10%
wink.gif

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Just wondering, any idea what percentage flashme has to get up to before the recovery mode can be used to finish flashing if something goes wrong?

Vater Unser

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
paper is better yes...but theres NOT 0% to brick it... make it 10%
wink.gif
a 10% chance to brick your DS is a bit high, isn't it?

anyway, where's that VR thing you may not touch while flashing?
is there a photo showing it?

Edit:
so, the VR is the thing in the hole next to the SL1 Hole...why don't you just put some tape on the VR, so it won't brick the DS in case you touch it?
seems much more foolproof to me

XeNoGeaR

Trophies
Website
www.topgames.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
i confirmed on my europe ds there were VR's on both sides.....it looked like that..but i think only the left side counts.......i know a few people who flashed there europe man and there seemed no problems at all ...i still thinkj the europe man is more eassier to flash.

Strider

Next to the mainstream
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
There's literally a 0% chance of screwing it up.

Don't count on it.

You'd be suprised at the extent idiocy goes around on earth.

Fixed.

QUOTE(Vater Unser @ Jul 1 2006, 09:32 AM)how does this make flashing easier than with a screwdriver?

I fully agree. How could you get the wrong contact if you take care, which you should anyway
wink.gif

Flashing is really as easy as it gets, and if you still don't want to do it yourself - don't.

isthar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FWIW, here was my "foolproof" method. I got it in my FIRST try on my new DS Lite the monday the DS Lite came out!

I took standard radioshack speaker wire -- the thick kind, the one that is stiff and will stay as molded - I cut a piece and trimmed off both ends, so I now had a copper wire with two exposed tips but all the rest still insulated. I then molded it into a shape by twisting it on itself to end up with a thing that had a two prong tip at the end. I stuck that in there, the way it was twisted it was thick enough to sort of push and wedge itself against the hole, so it couldn't slip.

Bam, I got to 100% first try in no time.

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The way I did mine was a small screwdriver with a bit of tin foil on the end. I wrapped it all in insulation tape apart from the tip and it flashed first time without having to move it.

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I used the little screwdriver that comes in a glasses repair kit. Added a little electrial tape. The tip was too small tho so it took me some time to get it done.

I had the same problem when flashing mine, but mine refused to flash whereever I put the screwdriver. Putting foil on the end works miracles, it started flashing right away.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6ckbBpSKhw