Gameboy Macro (DS Lite) LED Workaround Tutorial

There are many different methods to get a Gameboy Macro, but the most critical aspect of any of them is making the DS Complete the Boot Sequence by fooling the system into thinking that the LEDs of the Top Screen Are Working, in other words, as long as that check is passed the console will boot.

This notion can be found in the following Methods.:

• Method #1 -Resistor-
By using a 330 OHM Resistor, one can solder said resistor in a specif spot of the motherboard and get the console ready to go, this can be considered the primary method of many tutorials and the one that is the focus of https://gameboymacro.com/macro-tutorial-ds-lite/

• Method #2 -LED Strip Method-
Dissasembling the Top Screen and carefully cutting just the ribbon cable that is directly connected to it while preserving the LED connection and the start of the ribbon cable will allow you to reconnect the whole thing to its original port, esentially "Stripping" the top screen of the console and making the DS turn on.

-LED Workaround-

The Workaround that I applied works as a mix between the previous 2 methods, but to a more direct degree, see here is thing, we can directly connect the LEDs to the spot present in "Method #1", all we have to do is get them out of the top screen by following "Method 2" and desolder them from the ribbon cable, then carefully remove them.

Once that is Done we will have something like this.:

1676846692174.png

With this set up, one could put the LEDs in a more convenient place inside the Console, I Choose to put them behind the Bottom Screen, surprisingly it does not take that much space and the console is able to be put back together with almost no difference.

But before doing that we need to know the polarity of this whole thing for the soldering that needs to take place, being more Specific, the Polarity in said spots is.:
  • LEDA2 +
  • LEDC2 -
The LEDs have the positive in the side of the Factory Number printed on the Cable, and the Negative is obvious after that.

1676847042851.png

Finally after everything is done, the console will Start, that's it.

But before I go, Remember that this workaround is not a definitive answer to anything, choose the method that you like the most and go with it, Good Luck.

zekro94

Trophies
XP
Country
That's an interesting way to do it, in my case I used method 2 and I used a colored pen to shell the leds on the outside but it's still quite bright so your method is better in my opinion

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230221_021641_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230221_021641_Gallery.jpg
    724.3 KB · Views: 107

gradiusvv

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think it's anything to do with the "Boot Sequence". Wouldn't the console turn off post-boot if the screen was removed too?

Otherwise if it's just a check in the boot process, none of the described hardware modification is even required because custom firmwares are possible on the DS.

zekro94

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't think it's anything to do with the "Boot Sequence". Wouldn't the console turn off post-boot if the screen was removed too?

Otherwise if it's just a check in the boot process, none of the described hardware modification is even required because custom firmwares are possible on the DS.
Ds needs a flashcart in order to boot games since you can't install anything on the nand. Only dsi and 3ds can so this workaround is required for ds with broken top screen or hinge in order ta make it a macro. It won't boot without it

gradiusvv

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It won't boot without it
Again, it's nothing to do with the boot process. The console would turn off if the screen was suddenly removed post-boot too, right?

you can't install anything on the nand
FlashMe has been around for more than 15 years. Custom firmwares are absolutely a thing on the DS.

Last edited by gradiusvv,

zekro94

Trophies
XP
Country
Again, it's nothing to do with the boot process. The console would turn off if the screen was suddenly removed post-boot too.

FlashMe has been around for more than 15 years. Custom firmwares are absolutely a thing on the DS.
Oh wow I didn't know about Flashme, anyway it seems more complicated thatn just soldering some wires and you also need more things in order to do it. Also it needs the screen connected(or the leds in this case) because when the ds boots it makes some hardware checks to see if everything is alright so it won't boot without a connected top screen if it's stock/has no Flashme installed

gradiusvv

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it needs the screen connected(or the leds in this case) because when the ds boots it makes some hardware checks to see if everything is alright so it won't boot without a connected top screen if it's stock/has no Flashme installed

But that's what I'm asking: is it really the firmware checking on boot if the top screen is connected? Or is it a hardware thing?

If it really is just a software check, there's no reason to do any of this, you could just patch out that one check in the firmware.

zekro94

Trophies
XP
Country
But that's what I'm asking: is it really the firmware checking on boot if the top screen is connected? Or is it a hardware thing?

If it really is just a software check, there's no reason to do any of this, you could just patch out that one check in the firmware.
It's the bios, I suppose if you can flash a patched bios you could do it. I see your point but it's easier doing it this way since you only solder 2 points instead of having to flash another bios using flashme

gradiusvv

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To each their own, but I can't see how and soldering would be easier than just running a CFW installer program like CTurt's fwManager (and temporarily shorting the SL1).

Last edited by gradiusvv,

V800

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I think both approaches are interesting:

1) Soldering is the only way to salvage a broken nds into gba macro.
2) FlashMe is simpler to install and has more features so it's good to have just in case.

I personally would never break apart a working NDS to create a GameBoy Macro.

rostomz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
I have made my ds lite to a gb macro using the leds strip method and it booted fine, however after i setup time and date, age, nickname then I tried to increase the backlight to max when i set it to max it turned off and wont start
Now when i press power it goes Just green light then goes off.

Edit:
Nvm i dit fix it.
That was my fault btw i used only one led from the top screen's led strip so it worked once and it stopped. Now i soldered back the rest of the leds and its working fine.
Thanks all

Last edited by rostomz,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)