Earthquake in the U.K

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Mirato, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Mirato
    OP

Mirato GBAtemp Fan

Jan 23, 2008
    Yooo guys,

Was just wondering if anyone actually felt that quake which just hit recently at around 1 am, its on SKy news etc. I didn't even notice it happened but got a few calls from some friends asking if i felt the ground shake, and others saying their bed was shaking etc. Madness. earthquakes don't really happen much here, last one was 2002 or sumfin.

2. Cauterize

Cauterize Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 6, 2006
    Yeah, it scared the CRAP out of me...
    At first i thought someone broke into the roof of my house, then i realised that was farfetched as the house shook.
    I jumped up out of bed, lost my breath, had a panic attack, heart raced and ran out to check on everyone else all in the space of 1 second!

Me and my family were clueless for 30 minutes, we thought it was the wind shaking the house. We checked every room for damage and aroudn the house.
    Until we thought to turn on the radio and realised we werent alone!

Next i check my phone and a friend is claiming his flatmate has a massive wank which shook the world :wtf:

Scary, yet exciting stuff! I hope everyone else in the UK is okay [​IMG] Especially you lot here!

3. legendofphil

legendofphil Phil no Densetsu

Nov 19, 2002
    I live about 30 miles away in Hull, I knew exactly what it was straight away.
    Only person in my house to feel it, everyone else was asleep.

At first I didn't think it was natural, cause about 2 minutes after a helicopter went flying past, I thought one of the gas or oil depots round here had blown, but far enough to mask the noise.

Watched BBC News (cause Sky News is full of stupid people), at first they said the epicenter was Hull @ 4.7, then it was Market Rasen and now its 5.3 @ Market Rasen.

I'm not impressed with this quake, overall I would rate it 5.4, interesting but not enough staying power.

4. jalaneme

jalaneme Female Gamer

Nov 27, 2006
    London
    wow, scary stuff there

5. flipgalrn

flipgalrn Member

Newcomer
    Sep 12, 2007
    United States
    There has been some weird Earthquakes lately even in Nevada (6.0 I think).

6. TaeK

TaeK GBAtemp Regular

Jun 27, 2007
    Yea, was in bed at around the time last night and felt my bed shook, i got a phone call a bit later and realised it wasnt just the wind that shook the windows or whatever.

Checked on irc and inf also said he felt it also... he's in Cambridge and im in Yorkshire, that's 7 hours away... must've been a strong earthquake... 5.2 on the richter

7. jpxdude

jpxdude GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 5, 2006
    London UK
    I guess it must have affected those in the midlands most, i'm in London and didn't feel anything...but to reach Cambridge, it must have been really big!

8. jalaneme

jalaneme Female Gamer

Nov 27, 2006
    London
    i'm near kent and i didn't feel a thing :S actually i'm quite surprised there is a earthquake in the uk at all [​IMG]

9. TaeK

TaeK GBAtemp Regular

Jun 27, 2007
    Epicenter of the quake was in Market Rasen, Lincolnshire.. and was biggest since 1984 =/ 5.4 Richter enough to be felt across UK apparantly.

10. Hadrian

Hadrian Better than Craigslist

Former Staff
    Oct 12, 2004
    There was one in Kent last year.

Didn't notice anything with this or that one.

11. TaeK

TaeK GBAtemp Regular

Jun 27, 2007
  12. Psyfira

Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

Dec 31, 2003
    England
    It barely reached us, if at all. According to the radio some people felt really really faint tremors in nearby towns but everyone I know slept through it [​IMG]

13. greyhound

greyhound GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 4, 2006
    Oxford
    slept through it, it woke a few people around here

14. xJonny

xJonny ...

Aug 16, 2007
    Didn't feel anything but I live in the South-west

15. Szyslak

Szyslak Nudibranch Lover

Oct 31, 2006
    United States
    NY
    [​IMG] Nice one.

I hope Little's house didn't fall down yet. [​IMG] Then we'll never get the next tempcast! [​IMG]

Seriously though, I hope none of you fine 'tempers took any damage from this thing. Crazy stuff.

16. Sinkhead

Sinkhead yay p1ngpong.

Former Staff
    Nov 22, 2006
    Across the pond
    I live on the Lancashire/West Yorkshire border and apparently we could feel it, I slept through it though.

17. leonheart_a

leonheart_a GBAtemp Fan

Dec 10, 2006
    London
    its what got me up! i was asleep then at like 1 am in the morning everything was shaking! last time it happened i slept through it though. freaked the crap out of me though, but inside i felt like i knew it was an earthquake.

18. shaunj66

shaunj66 Administrator

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    United Kingdom
    South England
    Didn't feel a thing down in Southampton! But then again NOTHING wakes me up.

19. Just Joe

Just Joe GBAtemp Fan

Sep 25, 2007
    This was a warning by God!!!1! Repent sinners, turn away from your rom and iso backing-up ways!!!!!! [​IMG]

20. Agjsdfd

Agjsdfd My title

Apr 18, 2007
    Arctica
    LOOOL [​IMG]
    Same goes for me, didnt feel anything here in london.
    Even if the buildings would crush into pieces, woudnt have notice it till morning anywayz...