Earthbound Beginnings announced for Wii U Virtual Console

earthbound_beginnings.jpg

Today, Nintendo announced in the beginning of the Nintendo World Championships that Earthbound Beginnings, a translated version of the previously Japan-only NES game Mother, will be releasing in English on the Wii U Virtual Console tonight at 9 PM EDT. A trailer was also released.

nexuspunk

the mysterious one.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you know this would have gotten more of a response from me, if nintendo had released this on the 3ds vc as well. for months i asked nintendo to release the earthbound games, on both the 3ds and the wii u so fans of the games and new players could have the chance to play such a proud piece of history. hearing earthbound was getting released made me believe that nintendo had actually listened to me. and i was half correct, the did listen to me partly. they released earthbound beginnings on the wii u and snubed the 3ds community.

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

you know this would have gotten more of a response from me, if nintendo had released this on the 3ds vc as well. for months i asked nintendo to release the earthbound games, on both the 3ds and the wii u so fans of the games and new players could have the chance to play such a proud piece of history. hearing earthbound was getting released made me believe that nintendo had actually listened to me. and i was half correct, the did listen to me partly. they released earthbound beginnings on the wii u and snubed the 3ds community.
I was pretty pissed at that, too.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But isn't it the Wii U community that gets equally snubbed as far as releases go? Not everyone has a 3DS either, and personally, the console never really appealed to me for numerous reasons I don't want to state here. The Wii U needs to have a chance, the 3DS is well enough off IMHO.

nexuspunk

the mysterious one.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the wii u gets snubbed from time to time, yes but lets face it not everyone has a wii u either. because a 500 dollar price tag (400 now) is a turn off, lets be honest releasing it for both systems would have reached more then just wii u or 3ds alone. either way nintendo is only reaching out to HALF of their fanbase

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
the wii u gets snubbed from time to time, yes but lets face it not everyone has a wii u either. because a 500 dollar price tag (400 now) is a turn off, lets be honest releasing it for both systems would have reached more then just wii u or 3ds alone. either way nintendo is only reaching out to HALF of their fanbase
Where did 400 came of? 299,99$ is the current price.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
near me they still want 400 at my walmart there is no way i'm shelling out that much fuck that.

Well, you're getting royally screwed then, because nowhere near where I live is it that expensive, and I sure as hell won't shell out $150-$200 for a 5-dollar game I can run on Nestopia Undead on the Wii. The 3DS has held the limelight for four years now.

nexuspunk

the mysterious one.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i know what you mean, honestly if i wanted to play on the wii u that badly i'd go to my friends house and stay there for a few days, honestly i think its because walmart near me just wants to suck the souls out of people lol.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i know what you mean, honestly if i wanted to play on the wii u that badly i'd go to my friends house and stay there for a few days, honestly i think its because walmart near me just wants to suck the souls out of people lol.

Or just....get them from eBay, Craigslist, Amazon or Best Buy, screw Walmart. Until firmware can be spoofed, I refuse to update the Wii U.

VinsCool

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Is the story of Earthbound (Mother) really that good or what? I can't seem to understand the hype as I haven't even played a single game of this series.
The story is rather interesting, the gameplay mechanic is parodiying dragon quest at most, and the game is decent, but hard is you don't use your strategy very well.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Or just....get them from eBay, Craigslist, Amazon or Best Buy, screw Walmart. Until firmware can be spoofed, I refuse to update the Wii U.
I bought my WiiU at launch day for 349.99$ :huh:

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, because those were translated by fans :rolleyes:
I don't know what you were going for. Chances are, if they come out with an official release, they will make their own translation. The fan translation is great, but I don't see how it's relevant.
Is the story of Earthbound (Mother) really that good or what? I can't seem to understand the hype as I haven't even played a single game of this series.
It's... interesting. It's great, but it's hard to explain. Let me just put it like this:

I've been losing interest in JRPGs for years. I used to love Pokemon, Final Fantasy VI, Final Fantasy IX, Chrono Trigger, and so on. Of all the JRPGs I've enjoyed, the only ones I feel like holding onto and possibly playing again are the Mother games. I recommend Earthbound and Mother 3 (in that order) to anyone that has the time. It's a one of a kind experience. Despite my distaste for JRPGs, those two are easily a couple of my most favorite games of all time.

VinsCool

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I don't know what you were going for. Chances are, if they come out with an official release, they will make their own translation. The fan translation is great, but I don't see how it's relevant.
It's obvious they used the prototype rom, So that's my point. They wouldn't be doing their own translation. Probably not going to happen at all unless they plan to use the fan translation.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's obvious they used the prototype rom, So that's my point. They wouldn't be doing their own translation. Probably not going to happen at all unless they plan to use the fan translation.
Translation for them probably wouldn't be that hard, considering they probably still have the source code and other assets. If they thought it would do as well as Earthbound did on VC, they'd probably just have a small team translate it and stuff it in a VC wrapper. I doubt they'd use the fan translation, because Nintendo tends to be annoyingly stubborn.

My guess is that they're testing to see how much of a drop off there might be in interest for the Earthbound franchise, and this is a cost effective way to do it. If the drop off isn't that bad, I'd imagine we might see an official release for Mother 3 outside of Japan in two or three years.

VinsCool

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Translation for them probably wouldn't be that hard, considering they probably still have the source code and other assets. If they thought it would do as well as Earthbound did on VC, they'd probably just have a small team translate it and stuff it in a VC wrapper. I doubt they'd use the fan translation, because Nintendo tends to be annoyingly stubborn.

My guess is that they're testing to see how much of a drop off there might be in interest for the Earthbound franchise, and this is a cost effective way to do it. If the drop off isn't that bad, I'd imagine we might see an official release for Mother 3 outside of Japan in two or three years.
I am so frigging hyping for this! Mother 3 is a masterpiece.

Reactions: TecXero

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Why not mother 3? We allready have the original remake of mother 1 on SNES....
Am a bit blurred after all these years. I meant the fan trans and renamed mother 2/ earthbound.

Last edited by Hielkenator,

VinsCool

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Hmm not? The same title, but different game.

Though a rom hack is in progress for recreating the first mother games with earthbound snes (mother 2) engine.

Reactions: Hielkenator

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think Nintendo cares about fan projects, especially if they can't make a profit off of them. My guess why they did Mother over Mother 3 is they've already done a translation for Mother (as they were going to release it outside of Japan for the NES originally), so they don't have to invest as much for English releases. This is probably a way for them to test drop off in interest for the franchise.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.