Earthbound Beginnings announced for Wii U Virtual Console

earthbound_beginnings.jpg

Today, Nintendo announced in the beginning of the Nintendo World Championships that Earthbound Beginnings, a translated version of the previously Japan-only NES game Mother, will be releasing in English on the Wii U Virtual Console tonight at 9 PM EDT. A trailer was also released.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
"Nintendo won E3. Thanks for listening to us and releasing a totally unedited game from the NES. We heart you Nintendo! <3"

I don't get the hype. I mean, I get Earthbound fans are a little attention starved on the official side of things, but really. Come on. This is neat, but Nintendo's not even trying. They're just throwing work that was basically already done at you as if they were delivering the holy grail itself unto your personage.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
"Nintendo won E3. Thanks for listening to us and releasing a totally unedited game from the NES. We heart you Nintendo! <3"

I don't get the hype. I mean, I get Earthbound fans are a little attention starved on the official side of things, but really. Come on. This is neat, but Nintendo's not even trying. They're just throwing work that was basically already done at you as if they were delivering the holy grail itself unto your personage.
That was my point some posts ago.

Reactions: Deleted User

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I'm willing to consider this confirmation that Mother 3 is on its way.

Remember all those pessimistic fanboys whining that Mother 3 will never be localized in any form whatsoever? Well, perhaps they should re-evaluate their bias.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I'm willing to consider this confirmation that Mother 3 is on it's way.

Remember all those pessimistic fanboys whining that Mother 3 will never be localized in any form whatsoever? Well, perhaps they should re-evaluate their biases?
This game is a masterpiece,please understand why they are whinning :P

D

Deleted User

fans give nintendo of america mother 1 and 3 translated for free
NOA seens like don't care
nothing happens
Nothing
sudden , they decide to launch it, with the stupid " earthbound" name ... every fan os Ness and Lucas because of Smash known more the series as Mother ... I don't know why they want to keep this name since not even them gave a sheet for this series lol
they could at least make it an remake, idk, someone wasn't using mother 2 engine to make mother with it? XD

And what more? about 20-30 years to get mother 3 ? something they already have all in englsh, very well translated and for free? meh :P
Actually this isn't the fan translation, this is the official translation that was completed but then cancelled in favor of promoting the SNES.

As for Mother 3, I don't think there is an official translation, though the people who made the fan translation have apparently offered it to Nintendo free of charge but I doubt Nintendo would use it, at least not without making the translators sign a huge contract surrendering all credit and major edits including cutting the translators names out of the credits.

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Actually this isn't the fan translation, this is the official translation that was completed but then cancelled in favor of promoting the SNES.

As for Mother 3, I don't think there is an official translation, though the people who made the fan translation have apparently offered it to Nintendo free of charge but I doubt Nintendo would use it, at least not without making the translators sign a huge contract surrendering all credit and major edits including cutting the translators names out of the credits.

Oh well nice , but how could we know? :v and like they couldn't launch " earthbound 0" for snes,. even with nes with this last breaths... come on they can make a "mario 2" based on another game, can license stupid mario games and movie, can do a lot of things autonomous from NoJ, but launching an nes game o Snes? oh right ¬¬
also ot counting with Mother 1+2 for GBA, that could be a great use of this "already finished translation", right?

Well I don't se a problem .. on the place of NOA I wuld distribute for free the mother # translation, even making "necessary" changes they like to do :P

Tomato from EarthBound central was (and I think he still is?) remaking MOTHER in EarthBound's engine, but was having a lot of issues since the engine was specifically designed for MOTHER 2/EarthBound. I believe he was having issues with the maps because of how EarthBound's maps are stored and the size of maps in MOTHER, the maps in EarthBound are all stored in one giant map, and the max dimensions of where the maps were stored was too small to hold all the maps from MOTHER In the same way unless the container was enlarged, and there may not be a way to do that at all, so the maps had to be made smaller. Even using EBMUSED, the music in EarthBound is a living hell to edit, and takes a lot of practice to actually do correctly.

Also, as if Nintendo would use Tomato's translation, that's lazy af.

Oh this is interesting o3o I Know this is not an easy task, but I mean, a fan are doing it... professionals would do with very ease, right? why NOA don't make it something special instead of " finally launching something that was done ages ago" ....
I Don't think that using the fan translation, or even working on it would be lazy, but a appreciation of the well made fan work :v

Oh well I'm an general localization hater... if it come like " they don't have to do it" " why they didn't made this if they could" and even more " why to change cultural stuff", it really make me angry =3=

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
You guys are really some downers. Haven't followed the series myself, but let them have their moment.
well actually I'm glat that FINALLY they are doing things fan are waiting ages ... the problem is Why to took ages? they could do it anytime and also had a lots of changes for doing it in a "canon" way :B

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
are there download charts for eshop titles? I honestly don't expect this to sell very well. its easily the least interesting game in the series from any perspective, its the first, yes, but its also -the first-. with all the limitations and problems.

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Having played Tomato's fan translation and the official "unofficial" one I can say you wouldn't be missing much by playing this version. Just don't go into this one expecting Earthbound. This game can be brutally hard at times and overall just a chore but I'd argue it's still worth it if you're an Earthbound diehard. Still, I'm glad to see Nintendo finally realized sometimes appeasing their fans takes very little effort and goes a long way towards building goodwill with their community.
I would say Mother 1 has the spirit of Mother 2, but not as polished. Still, the sense of humour, the theme and the story are there and I would argue that both Mother 1 and Mother 2 feel like a chore to play. Only difference being Mother 2 is an easy chore and Mother 1 a hard chore.

Last edited by RodrigoDavy,
Reactions: Sliter

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry in advance guys if it's been mentioned, not read the whole thread, but I DID just nosey on the eshop for this... now all other NES games here in the UK are priced £3.49...... they're selling this for £6.29?!? Fuck that off...:(

D

Deleted User

Oh this is interesting o3o I Know this is not an easy task, but I mean, a fan are doing it... professionals would do with very ease, right? why NOA don't make it something special instead of " finally launching something that was done ages ago" ....
I Don't think that using the fan translation, or even working on it would be lazy, but a appreciation of the well made fan work :v

Oh well I'm an general localization hater... if it come like " they don't have to do it" " why they didn't made this if they could" and even more " why to change cultural stuff", it really make me angry =3=
I'm pretty sure MOTHER 2 was actually almost cancelled because of issues with the engine, or something in the engine. I can't remember. I'll look it up later.
Thanks for the infos. I'm gonna jump in and somehow engage in Earthbound... Old school! Here I come!
It's best to start with EarthBound, then MOTHER 3 and then EarthBound Beginnings.

Reactions: Sliter

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm pretty sure MOTHER 2 was actually almost cancelled because of issues with the engine, or something in the engine. I can't remember. I'll look it up later.
well thinking that mother3 were going to be for N64 ... (also, there are no leak of it or the "FE 64? xD it looked pretty good on the screens I saw ...)
but anyway, I mean , they really could do something special ... just an virtual console and marketing making it looks a bit like " pokemon the origin" is very ... meh ... I think they could keep everthing , and just polished the graphics at least, making it run in a different way than the "official emulator" :/ but just a idea

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry in advance guys if it's been mentioned, not read the whole thread, but I DID just nosey on the eshop for this... now all other NES games here in the UK are priced £3.49...... they're selling this for £6.29?!? Fuck that off...:(

Just play it on RetroArch Wii and not pay for that out of spite.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: empty chat