EA shutting down servers (includes Online Pass games)

prowler

Sony
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
After April 13th, online play for these titles will be impossible:

BOOM BLOX Bash Party for Wii
Burnout™ Revenge for Xbox 360
EA Create for PC, PlayStation 3, Wii and Xbox 360
EA Sports Active 2.0 for PlayStation 3, Wii and Xbox 360
EA Sports Active NFL Training Camp for Wii
FIFA 10 for PlayStation Portable and Wii
The Godfather™ II for PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
MMA for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
Need for Speed™ ProStreet for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
The Saboteur™ (loss of The Midnight Club access) for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
Spare Parts for PlayStation 3 Xbox 360

After March 31st, these titles will also be unplayable online.

BATTLEFIELD™ 3: Aftershock for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch
Fantasi Safari for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch
Ghost Harvest for iPhone

http://www.ea.com/1/service-updates

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
I can understand it's inevitable for game servers to be shut down eventually, but it always strikes me how soon EA ends the support for their games. You'd think that such a large company cares about being reliable so people keep buying their stuff.

I personally don't care about multiplayer, but I'm sure people won't be happy when Battlefield 3 gets shut down in 2-3 years from now.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I can understand it's inevitable for game servers to be shut down eventually, but it always strikes me how soon EA ends the support for their games. You'd think that such a large company cares about being reliable so people keep buying their stuff.

I personally don't care about multiplayer, but I'm sure people won't be happy when Battlefield 3 gets shut down in 2-3 years from now.

If they shut battlefield 3 down in a few years, people could always go over to pc version (EA host no servers for it).

As for keeping support for longer so people continue buying their stuff, why bother? Majority of console users have shown time and time again they have no follow through. They'll bitch and moan that they won't buy the games from EA as they shut servers down (you can normally find a topic along them lines everytime new shut downs are announced), but they'll still go out and buy it.

corenting

Trophies
Website
www.corenting.fr
XP
Country
France

If they shut battlefield 3 down in a few years, people could always go over to pc version (EA host no servers for it).

As for keeping support for longer so people continue buying their stuff, why bother? Majority of console users have shown time and time again they have no follow through. They'll bitch and moan that they won't buy the games from EA as they shut servers down (you can normally find a topic along them lines everytime new shut downs are announced), but they'll still go out and buy it.

They host servers for BF3 : Battlelog, master server (the server list)...

It would be great if when they drop support they give us a server program, even a more limited version, in case we want to play with some friends to some "old" games.

Reactions: 2 people

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
True enough, I meant game servers. Can't see them dropping the master server. It's still around for bf2, pretty sure 1942 still has it's up as well so you can grab a server list, can't see them just suddenly dropping them, when they've never done it before.

Would be a death sentence for the series on pc if they started to do it. They've already pissed off a huge amount of the pc player base for it with their lies about the game (biggest maps ever, pc lead platform), console focused close quarters dlc + origin (unjustified hate, by still hate). Can't see them doing that if that actually want any sales on the pc for their next battlefield game.

As for server files, never going to happen :(. Pretty sure they made the claim (either for this or bc2) that server files would open up the game for more hacks (load of crap).

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While our new era of online enabled games is great, the issue of servers is still a nagging problem. They can't stay up forever, and when they go down, games can lose much (in some cases, all) in the way of content.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While our new era of online enabled games is great, the issue of servers is still a nagging problem. They can't stay up forever, and when they go down, games can lose much (in some cases, all) in the way of content.

The simple solution to the server issue would be to make better quality and less games and increase the DLC quality and count. Keep gamers invested in a single game longer than the crap that is continued to be released can. I can see why some servers will be shut down, but the sheer amount of games that have "tacked on" multiplayer to keep with the current trends is astonishing.

Sappoide

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Online features for consoles will always shut down sooner or later because the video game companies host the servers, while in some PC games we don't see this. Some very old games like Halo Combat Evolved or Counter Strike on PC are still largely played because some players keep the servers up. I can still play Quake III Arena after 13 years from it's launch. :D
My advice is: if you want to play a game exclusively online choose the PC version (if it's avaible).

steve007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*I been happy , Tears theysuck any way ea sucks i been band for 3 years until i had too pucker up and kiss there Butt's >_< they made me mad the games crashed and never worked glitched eatch time i bought one had issues why gerr i am glade they are going down day by day )

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The problems start to arise when games with forced online get their servers taken down. Kinda like WoW for example. It's worthless without servers and as long as the only servers available are by the makers, it's difficult..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.